New Richmond Arena

eandslee

See, the word is getting out that Richmond is going to build a new arena and people are already taking notice.  A new arena in Richmond will be a game changer (no pun intended).  Honestly, I really think that a real Arena Football team would do very well in Richmond (not the second-rate stuff).  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

See, the word is getting out that Richmond is going to build a new arena and people are already taking notice.  A new arena in Richmond will be a game changer (no pun intended).  Honestly, I really think that a real Arena Football team would do very well in Richmond (not the second-rate stuff).  

What the difference in real arena football versus second rate arena football?

9 hours ago, vaceltic said:

What the difference in real arena football versus second rate arena football?

Usually better (more famous) players, big-city team affiliations, slightly different rules to encourage more action, and just the fact that it’s the real AFL versus a smaller league will attract more people.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, Stoney isn’t pleased with the number of proposed affordable housing. He wants 1,500 and NH District Corp is offering 280 (10% of the total number of housing units).  Also, still not worked out is where to put the bus transfer station (amongst other sticking points).  This is going to take a long time to work out since everyone wants to do their own study.  The Richmond Roughriders should stay next season too. This won’t be worked before then I’m afraid. 

Edited by eandslee

He probably knows that if the affordable housing element is not in there he won't get the votes needed from the less affluent districts.  He wants this to succeed - I think its a good sign.  Politics of the past was push it through and hope it can be strongarmed through - now its put elements in to make it attractive for the whole city.

Edited by cbl1

It’s gonna be hard to increase the percentage of affordable units to make the plan viable. The density would have to increase significantly to increase the number of affordable units, but still would leave the percentage requirement unmet. Stoney’s terms are not realistic. If he changed the metric from percent of units to just a flat number of units, it could be more workable.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Hike said:

A  nice takeaway from this article in the Virginia Business, linked below, is what Stoney said - “We’ve made significant progress on several of the deal points that I’ve said are absolute must-haves for the city —especially on affordable housing and minority participation,” Stoney said in a statement.  While there are “details to iron out before we take it to City Council,” the mayor said he remains “confident we will get this done.”

Happy to hear this.  

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/news/article/a-killer-arena

Great article!  We got an updated status on the arena development and we also got an overview of all the good things happening in Richmond.  I love to read about all of the positive things that are happening.  Richmond does need to figure out how to attract the young professionals better, but I think things are moving in the right direction. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Richmond Roughriders, Richmond’s Arena Football team is leaving Richmond for Wheeling West Virginia to clear the way for the Coliseum to be replaced with a new arena.  Looks like this is really happening folks!  It’s definitely a good sign. We may have lost an arena football team, but a new arena will bring in new/better teams and greater opportunities for Richmond!

https://www.wric.com/sports/-it-was-a-total-honor-richmond-roughriders-find-new-home-in-west-virginia/1471904132

• Like 4

Sad to see the loss of a sports franchise, but in the long run, a good trade-off for a top-flight arena plus significant development of the area.  Too bad the team had to leave town altogether, though I imagine no other facility (such as those at U R or VCU) have enough actual floor space to house arena football.

• 3 weeks later...

So there’s talk of expanding the TIF (beyond the Dominion properties) and issuing bonds to fund the (underestimated*) costs of the arena and infrastructure upgrades.  

It’s stealing from the city to fund a vanity project that basically just rebuilds existing buildings (news flash, the purple and green parking decks already exist) and the only  interruption  to the street grid stays.  Who pays to rebuild the social services offices across from City Hall?  Will anyone be surprised when the costs to replace that building aren’t included in the final proposal?  These fake neighborhoods are always failures by every measure (even says so in this article). 

Issuing a billion dollars of bonds will trash the city’s bond rating (making everything else the city does more expensive).    It’s fleecing based on antiquated ideas of entertainment districts. Why on earth would there be talk of adding a “small performance space” when  Doninion’s  black box theater goes unused and the other spaces around downtown are dark more often than not?  

* the biotech park parking deck at Leigh and 4th will have to be rebuilt, or reconfigured, because the exit is currently below grade.  Raising the street (total waste of money) renders this deck unuseable.  Altria will also have to reconfigure its loading dock/mechanical area.  These two things alone would exceed the budget to raise the street.  I guess the city issues bonds to rebuild Altria while  placing the building in the TIF?  Theft. 

Edited by Brent114

22 hours ago, eandslee said:

Are you British?

Hey I spell colour with a 'u' as well! Some of us are just fancy, not like the 'u' dropping heathens!! I also spell grey with an 'e' not an 'a'. (Honestly I think it's because my family is from way up north, e.g. close to Canada where the whole British thing is a bit more relevant). 

On the financing, I'm all for a new arena, anything to get hockey back in the city. But, I was borderline on including the new Dom Tower in the TIF (debatable, haven't made up my mind), but expanding the TIF anywhere further is just a deal killer to me. Just no, half the city cannot be under a TIF. 

• Like 1

There’s a way to do it where a floor Is set so that all revenue based on current value is excluded from the district but all new value above the current basis goes towards it. You could apply that to the dominion towers and it doesn’t take away any existing tax revenue.  If we don’t want the city to pay out-of-pocket for it and we don’t want a tax incremental financing district, then we need to accept that we will never have a new arena And plan for development around the current Colosseum to take a few decades or so. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

There’s a way to do it where a floor Is set so that all revenue based on current value is excluded from the district but all new value above the current basis goes towards it. You could apply that to the dominion towers and it doesn’t take away any existing tax revenue.  If we don’t want the city to pay out-of-pocket for it and we don’t want a tax incremental financing district, then we need to accept that we will never have a new arena And plan for development around the current Colosseum to take a few decades or so. 

I'm not against using a TIF, it's just the size of the TIF that concerns me. I'm mostly ok with including the Dom Tower in the TIF, it's this quote from the Style Weekly that worries me:

"And this week, Kelley confirms that the TIF district may need to include downtown property beyond the Dominion towers. He wouldn't elaborate, citing negotiations underway."

Too big a TIF is concerning to me. 

• Like 1