Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

9 hours ago, kayman said:

I'm not.  Cheri Beasley is the forerunner in the race and is being pushed towards being if elected one of possibly 2 black female Democratic senators in the US Senate. The other being Val Demmings in Florida.  The North Carolina Democratic leadership needs high black voter turnout, which is the Democrats core vote in NC to win the US Senate seat in 2022.  Jackson wasn't doing all too well with most likely black voters in internal polls.  The Democrats are working hard to get more black senators in the US Senate because of the disasterous of how too many moderate white Democrats haven't attempted to abandon the filibuster to advance John Lewis Voter's Rights Act,  George Floyd Police Accountability Act, or the Emmitt Till Anti-Lynching Act.   All key pieces of legislation promised by Biden but blocked by moderate white Democrats like Joe Manchin, Kirsten Sinema, etc. because they won't abandon the procedural-based filibuster with the current 50-50 US Senate partisan split with only VP Harris as the tiebreaker vote.  

Jackson is young and at 39. He can and should run for either Attorney General or Lieutenant Governor.  Either of which would elevate his state profile, and put him into the position ro possibly running for Governor.  Jackson can also  challenge Tillis for the US Senate in 2026, which Chuck Schumer blocked him from doing in 2020 and that turnout to be a huge mistake in Schumer's part.  Jackson has a bright future ahead of him as an influential state figure and he can definitely help Charlotte in Raleigh. 

I think the question of what he does next is a really interesting one. He's got two paths: a major state office or a national one. He's young enough I could see him running for a major state office as a way to run a national campaign in a few years. Tillis won't be around forever.

• Like 3

I've already seen Roy's name out there as a potential 2024 Presidential candidate if Biden decides not to run again. If he vacates the Governor's office to make a run at that, Jackson could be a good replacement.  (On paper I think Roy would be an excellent presidential candidate, but I have a really hard time imagining him in presidential debates and campaigns)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I've already seen Roy's name out there as a potential 2024 Presidential candidate if Biden decides not to run again. If he vacates the Governor's office to make a run at that, Jackson could be a good replacement.  (On paper I think Roy would be an excellent presidential candidate, but I have a really hard time imagining him in presidential debates and campaigns)

Hmm, yeah, that's not bad actually. If Biden decides not to run I could see the Dems pushing Cooper as a moderate who can win red states against     :tw_confused:Trump:tw_confused:

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Hmm, yeah, that's not bad actually. If Biden decides not to run I could see the Dems pushing Cooper as a moderate who can win red states against     :tw_confused:Trump:tw_confused:

I like Roy a lot (voted for him enthusiastically) and literally detest Trump. 

Roy has zero chance of getting the nomination (due to his moderation, personality, anonymity, lack of ambition, etc.). All of the moderates (excluding Joe I guess, thanks to James Clyburn) are eviscerated in the Democratic primary.  If he were to shock the world and get the nomination (a la Jimmy Carter), there isn't a Red state he would carry over Trump.  The extremists in both parties typically keep us from getting good nominees (though there have been notable exceptions). Bullock and Ryan would have been good, Klobachar and Buttigieg would have been decent. Biden (who I voted for) is a disaster (but still infinitely better than Trump). I'm afraid an actual traitor/insurrectionist will be our next President (which is why I'm practicing my Spanish).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I don't really think Cooper would be any kind of great president either, but who do the Dems have right now that has any kind of national momentum? Cooper has as much of a path to the nomination as anyone else in the Democratic Party, at least until the Jackson/AOC generation is old enough to run. I'll vote for any Democrat over someone who literally, factually, tried to overthrow our government. When I look at the current Dem roster, it might as well be Cooper.

To be clear, I think Roy would do fine as President. He's decent, humble, reasonable and appears to be relatively smart. He simply has zero chance of being nominated (I suspect he'd tell you as much). I assume Biden will be the nominee, probably unopposed as an incumbent, unless his age and mental acuity make that impossible. I would literally vote for anyone against Trump/a Trumper despite being mostly "conservative". 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JBS said:

To be clear, I think Roy would do fine as President. He's decent, humble, reasonable and appears to be relatively smart. He simply has zero chance of being nominated (I suspect he'd tell you as much). I assume Biden will be the nominee, probably unopposed as an incumbent, unless his age and mental acuity make that impossible. I would literally vote for anyone against Trump/a Trumper despite being mostly "conservative". 

Well, yes, nobody will primary Biden. He'd have to decide not to run. But I don't know if there's a front-runner for the Dem nominee if Biden doesn't run. The party's bench is very wide but very shallow. Right now it's just a lot of people who are all about the same political level and have about the same level of voter enthusiasm (i.e. "not much"). 

It's a much larger discussion to be had, but the national party doesn't have any way to get votes right now beyond "vote against Trump." If the Republicans ever decide to run a moderate candidate the Democrats are in real trouble. The Democrats could easily run a serious national campaign of increased social programs, support for labor initiatives, closing the wealth gap, things like that, but the people in control of the national party right now don't really want any of that stuff.

• Like 3

^ Those two parties are absolutely abysmal. Some are Hypocrites, some are liars, some are corrupt, most of all a big chunk of them are irrational or people governed by greed and self interest or both. Honestly cannot believe what one party will do to the other just so they don’t get their way and no one benefits from it. We’re slow and ineffective.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, JBS said:

I would argue that most of the things you mentioned would appeal primarily to progressives and that they would alienate people like me. Most Americans are moderate (on foreign policy, taxes, spending, abortion, gay rights, race, crime, immigration, etc.).  Neither party represents independent voters. I used to vote Republican (never again), then Libertarian (wasted vote, no chance to win), then didn't vote, then straight Democrat (100% in opposition to Trump). I frankly oppose the Democratic agenda like 95% but I'm obligated to vote against legitimate threats to democracy (Trumpism). Would be nice to actually vote for a good candidate (I could get behind the much reviled Joe Manchin but he's hated by his own party). Appreciate the dialogue, have a nice weekend. 

Most Americans are intellectually lazy and/or care only about their pocketbook. This allows them to, for example, support a man who's deeply invested in coal production which is a key contributor to climate change.  If people won't educate themselves on key issues like climate change or simply decide scientists are wrong because they know more because of *common sense" and want cheap gas and electricity then I hold little hope for getting out of the mess we've created. There are many, many issues like this such as the anti vax crowds inconceivable thought processes. I have no idea how it'll get fixed though.

JBS , I don't mean to point this towards you but climate change is issue 1 for the human race so had to use that counter example wrt to Manchin. I do find it interesting you believe most Americans think like you. Have a source for that? I really don't know how most Americans think on the issues you mentioned and what defines moderation for each one but given the number that continue to support Trumpism I guess I don't care what roughly 40% of them think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Most Americans are intellectually lazy and/or care only about their pocketbook. This allows them to, for example, support a man who's deeply invested in coal production which is a key contributor to climate change.  If people won't educate themselves on key issues like climate change or simply decide scientists are wrong because they know more because of *common sense" and want cheap gas and electricity then I hold little hope for getting out of the mess we've created. There are many, many issues like this such as the anti vax crowds inconceivable thought processes. I have no idea how it'll get fixed though.

JBS , I don't mean to point this towards you but climate change is issue 1 for the human race so had to use that counter example wrt to Manchin. I do find it interesting you believe most Americans think like you. Have a source for that? I really don't know how most Americans think on the issues you mentioned and what defines moderation for each one but given the number that continue to support Trumpism I guess I don't care what roughly 40% of them think.

I definitely don't think most Americans think like me. As I said, I'm mostly conservative and I would guess (based anecdotally on conversations) that most are moderate.  Look at national polls on issues like abortion (just as an example). The polls indicate a moderate position that both parties would soundly reject. Furthermore, I think that a country that goes from Clinton to W to Obama to Trump to Biden is, overall, pretty moderate. The loyalists always vote party but the WH and Congress regularly swing based on a fickle but unaligned middle. Regarding Manchin and coal, you have a point but he's a politician from WV. He wouldn't be a Senator if he was anti coal. I believe in climate change (drive a Prius and installing solar panels) but Democrats haven't helped themselves by making overly dire predictions that are unsupported by science (the truth is bad enough).  Similar to Covid (I'm double vaxxed, soon to be boosted and wear a mask FWIW), where they kept kids out of school far longer than necessary and inflicted a ton of damage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, JBS said:

I definitely don't think most Americans think like me. As I said, I'm mostly conservative and I would guess (based anecdotally on conversations) that most are moderate.  Look at national polls on issues like abortion (just as an example). The polls indicate a moderate position that both parties would soundly reject. Furthermore, I think that a country that goes from Clinton to W to Obama to Trump to Biden is, overall, pretty moderate. The loyalists always vote party but the WH and Congress regularly swing based on a fickle but unaligned middle. Regarding Manchin and coal, you have a point but he's a politician from WV. He wouldn't be a Senator if he was anti coal. I believe in climate change (drive a Prius and installing solar panels) but Democrats haven't helped themselves by making overly dire predictions that are unsupported by science (the truth is bad enough).  Similar to Covid (I'm double vaxxed, soon to be boosted and wear a mask FWIW), where they kept kids out of school far longer than necessary and inflicted a ton of damage.

Gotcha. There's ways to deal with coal in WV other than burying your head in the sand and profiting from it. Push for some kind of bailout for the miners. Over 50 you get SS and Medicare early or free college or apprenticeship. Under 50 free college or apprenticeship. I'm sure there's tons of other ideas. Probably save a lot of miners from cancer and COPD too.

I'm doing my bit as well with a Tesla and 13KW of solar. I'm ticked about the solar as the installer said he'd never not received the Duke discount for a client and I didn't get it. Destroyed the ROI.

Edited by elrodvt
  • Sad 3

We have a well run city with a professional city manager rather than political appointments everywhere. We are growing and increasing our options, better than cities slowing or declining. We have a cooperative arrangement between county and city departments. We attracted him and will attract candidates similar to him to follow. He left under the best of circumstances. We are a plum position for a professional planner. We will have our choice of candidates.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Our local Congressional rep is threatening businesses that they had better donate to the GOP, “or else.”

Remember when republicans were pro-business?

Regardless your political position you gotta admit that having a local rep with this heavy-handed, “lets tell businesses how to operate” belief is not a good thing for Charlotte business recruitment.

746B23E0-8746-4E64-B162-3622DFED9C09.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like in addition to Ukraine, Russia is now planning to annex Kazakhstan. Moscow just passed laws similar to the laws under the USSR. The USSR is being rebuilt. 

“Central Asia is the Russian land! The network is discussing the possible reunification of Kazakhstan with Russia. Personally, my position as a citizen of the Russian Federation, regardless of politics and positions. I support the holding of a referendum in Kazakhstan on the reunification of Kazakhstan with its historical homeland – Russia. I would like to note that the President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Zhomart Tokayev himself makes all his statements in Russian. I think this will be a good manifestation of true democracy!

-biysultan khamzaev

Edited by urbanlover568

On 1/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, JBS said:

Bishop is unfortunately my Representative and I call and email regularly to tell him what an embarrassment he is. FWIW, his staff is very nice when I call (even when I ask how they can work for him).  Considering he literally cost us CoStar headquarters and a PayPal operation in Charlotte, everyone on this board should detest him.

Vote him out then! I'm beyond being helpless, hopeless, and passive about bad political actors in 2022

He pretended to be faux moderate in the special 2019 election with the convenient black black couple in his campaign commercials that he "helped".  Bishop gives me outright racist and bigot. He can be defeated in 2022 as even the potential new congressional district configuration as most people in that district don't even know that Bishop reps it. He's nothing but a do-nothing puppet for more GOP-led political obstruction in DC.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kayman said:

Vote him out then! I'm beyond being helpless, hopeless, and passive about bad political actors in 2022

He pretended to be faux moderate in the special 2019 election with the convenient black black couple in his campaign commercials that he "helped".  Bishop gives me outright racist and bigot. He can be defeated in 2022 as even the potential new congressional district configuration as most people in that district don't even know that Bishop reps it. He's nothing but a do-nothing puppet for more GOP-led political obstruction in DC.

Oh man, I would love to... He's my rep as well. Cynthia Wallace actually got a higher percentage than I thought she would (44.4%), but Bishop raised over $4 million while Wallace only raised a bit over $800,000 (Open Secretes Source).  That's a massive disadvantage.  I get his weekly emails and it's just a mess of the latest GOP lies and talking points. He's as bad as Cawthorn, except without any of the charisma/public appeal.

• Like 1