Gaston: 209k

Union: 212k

Iredell: 164k

Charlotte MSA: 2.3 mil

Charlotte CSA: 2.5 mil

Raleigh: 433k

Wake: 980k

Triangle CSA: 2,034k

Metro and county pop stats for July 1st, 2013 will be released on March 27th.  Get excited people.

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb14-44.html     

--- The County and Metropolitan Populations will be released to the public Thursday March 27th!  The embargoed release is a few days before that, so we might find out some information even earlier :)

yup.......

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/pdf/pep_2013_pepannres.pdf   

The embargo list is open for NC!  Charlotte metro area has added 40,000+ people to bring it up to 2,335,358!  Mecklenburg County as of July 2013 is at 990,977, but it definitely is over 1M now.  Union County continues to have slow growth this decade compared to what it was back in 2000-2010.  By midnight there will be more information :)

• Like 1

http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/pdf/pep_2013_pepannres.pdf   

The embargo list is open for NC!  Charlotte metro area has added 40,000+ people to bring it up to 2,335,358!  Mecklenburg County as of July 2013 is at 990,977, but it definitely is over 1M now.  Union County continues to have slow growth this decade compared to what it was back in 2000-2010.  By midnight there will be more information :)

It's encouraging to see so much of the metro growth occurring withing Mecklenburg county.  To see the metro grow by 40,000 while the surrounding NC counties of Cabarrus, Union, Gaston and Iredell only make up for 10k of that is pretty astounding.

Edit:  I'll throw Rowan in there too, but they apparently added 300 people.

Edited by ah59396

It's encouraging to see so much of the metro growth occurring withing Mecklenburg county.  To see the metro grow by 40,000 while the surrounding NC counties of Cabarrus, Union, Gaston and Iredell only make up for 10k of that is pretty astounding.

Edit:  I'll throw Rowan in there too, but they apparently added 300 people.

Also, just wanted to add that we are only about 30,000 people behind Pittsburgh!  Next year we will most likely surpass them.  

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/real_estate/2014/03/27/fastest-growing-cities/8.html

Charlotte is the 8th fastest growing city in the U.S. Austin, surprise surprise, is #1

Man, I expected the Triangle to be keeping pace with Charlotte.  While they are the fastest growing non-Texan city in the nation by percentage, I expected their population gain to be at least on par with Charlotte's.  This made me smile. :whistling:

EDIT: math...

Edited by AuLukey

Man, I expected the Triangle to be keeping pace with Charlotte.  While they are the fastest growing non-Texan city in the nation by percentage, I expected their population gain to be at least on par with Charlotte's.  It's not even half.  This made me smile. :whistling:

what? you mean by percentage? 26k is more than half of 40k ha

Edited by Jayvee

• 1 month later...

I think that its time we all stop taking offense to NC being used. Its not a slight against the city and just makes us sound insecure. I hear very recognizable cities that everyone is familiar with named with their state all the time. Austin TX, Dallas TX, Tampa FL, Baltimore MD, Seattle WA, Portland OR, Phoenix AZ, Pittsburgh PA, Buffalo NY, Nashville TN, etc etc etc. When you think about it, you hear state qualifiers on so many mid-sized, even large cities, and does it ever sound like its belittling them? 

I think that its time we all stop taking offense to NC being used. Its not a slight against the city and just makes us sound insecure. I hear very recognizable cities that everyone is familiar with named with their state all the time. Austin TX, Dallas TX, Tampa FL, Baltimore MD, Seattle WA, Portland OR, Phoenix AZ, Pittsburgh PA, Buffalo NY, Nashville TN, etc etc etc. When you think about it, you hear state qualifiers on so many mid-sized, even large cities, and does it ever sound like its belittling them? 

honestly, the only cities I can think of that aren't frequently named with their state is Chicago, LA, NYC and on occasion SF and Boston. Even Philly gets associated with PA.

Cities Not Requiring State Names Atlanta Phoenix Baltimore Pittsburgh Boston St. Louis Chicago Salt Lake City Cincinnati San Antonio Cleveland San Diego Dallas San Francisco Denver Seattle Detroit Washington Honolulu   Houston   Indianapolis   Las Vegas   Los Angeles   Miami   Milwaukee   Minneapolis   New Orleans   New York   Oklahoma City   Philadelphia  

We need to be on par with Baltimore and Cincy.  I want them to update.

Cities Not Requiring State Names Atlanta Phoenix Baltimore Pittsburgh Boston St. Louis Chicago Salt Lake City Cincinnati San Antonio Cleveland San Diego Dallas San Francisco Denver Seattle Detroit Washington Honolulu   Houston   Indianapolis   Las Vegas   Los Angeles   Miami   Milwaukee   Minneapolis   New Orleans   New York   Oklahoma City   Philadelphia  

We need to be on par with Baltimore and Cincy.  I want them to update.

Again, I think it's a confusion thing as Southsider said.  Charlottesville, Charelston, Charlotte (not to mention Charlottetown, PEI).  They all are different to us, but I think for the laymen they are still very easy to confuse.  Portland Oregon may become one of the largest cities on the west coast at some point, but it'll never drop it's OR due to Portland, Maine.  It is what it is.  Charlotte, North Carolina.  I've learned to love it.

Edited by ah59396

Yeah, my statement was kind of in jest, but I do think (hope) that from a business and entertainment standpoint, Charlotte's national recognition will eventually become one that will stand alone from other Cha-, US cities.  As of right now, Charlotte certainly does not get that kind of nation-wide coverage in the media that would justify it... which is why we celebrate when Colbert or Fallon mentions us.