Triangle Economic News

KJHburg

Man...reading through all these recent announcements for Durham County.  Can you imagine what Durham would look like if many of these companies started building in downtown instead of RTP?  I think the skyline would quickly rival Greensboro, and soon catch up to Raleigh.  Obviously a lot of these companies are better suited to locations in RTP, but it's hard not to wonder what it could be.

• Like 2

Yet another life sciences jobs announcement for RTP. KBI Bipharma to build $150m facility and create more than 200 jobs. Durham/RTP really poppin' with the biotech/life science lately. I love to see it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/02/durham-bio-manufacturer-to-add-150-million-facili.html

• Like 3

In a story about Amazon HQ2 and the Triangle area they talk about the MSA being combined again.  I think it should be one as there is so much cross traffic from Wake to Durham and vice versa.  Chatham County which is actually part of Durham metro contains parts of Cary that is the region's 3rd largest city and in the Raleigh metro.  A combined Raleigh Durham Cary Chapel Hill would be bigger than Nashville metro.  It is one media market .  People shop and cross the metro borders for entertainment and so forth already.  The nation views it as one metro as well.  

""Another factor that worked against the Triangle in the Amazon race was its size.  “We weren’t big enough,” Adrienne Cole, president and CEO of the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, said in 2018.  It’s not just a question of population. Levitan points to the way the federal government divides Metropolitan Statistical Areas. Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill are separate metros. A combination, he said, would “push us up into a much more competitive market.” Levitan said there are “conversations underway” to lobby for those metros to be combined in the future.   Levitan said that, particularly amid the MSA classification, the region needs to make sure it’s telling its story.   “We need to focus on telling the story differently,” he said. “They can be urban, they can live on a farm, they can live in a suburb … it’s the criteria that the workfoce thinks about individually when they consider whether they want to move to a location. … We need to tell the story better about the diversity of our communities.”""

Two years after Raleigh lost Amazon HQ2: Lessons learned but challenges remain for economic developers - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

As someone who's lived in both areas and is very familiar with both economies and COL, you will definitely get more bang for your buck in the Triangle. When not in CA I miss the wealth of things to do, the food, skiing in Tahoe, and the overall culture, but over the years Raleigh has improved in many areas.

10-15 years ago I could not imagine spending most of my time in Raleigh and would go back to CA at the first opportunity.  Now i'm quite happy being in Raleigh most of the time. I think that the millenial energy and progressive growth of Raleigh has made it more exciting to me. The influx of great people has turned this once sleepy southern town on it's head. The vibe here is really incredible compared to many other cities that I visit and I can see why so many people want to move here.

True.  To me though, a handful of American cities (NY, SF, Boston, Chicago, DC, e.g.) exemplify the truly great urban experience.  They have tons of gorgeous old buildings, museums, etc.   Just walking around them is a great pleasure.  That being said, it's difficult when you have to utterly struggle financially to raise a family.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

True.  To me though, a handful of American cities (NY, SF, Boston, Chicago, DC, e.g.) exemplify the truly great urban experience.  They have tons of gorgeous old buildings, museums, etc.   Just walking around them is a great pleasure.  That being said, it's difficult when you have to utterly struggle financially to raise a family.

Those are all my most favorite cities in the US, with Miami not included. I would not recommend for anyone to attempt to raise a family in them though. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

another accolade for Raleigh one of the top capital cities in USA only bested by rival Austin and Madison WI

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2021/01/24/more-good-grades-for-raleigh-no-3-among-state-capitals-for-best-place-to-live/

There definitely seems to be some level of competition between the state capitols, especially those in the South and Southeast. Raleigh is often compared to Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, and Columbus. I would also probably throw Oklahoma City in the mix.

8 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

There definitely seems to be some level of competition between the state capitols, especially those in the South and Southeast. Raleigh is often compared to Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, and Columbus. I would also probably throw Oklahoma City in the mix.

I think that Austin, Nashville, and Atlanta are presently much better than  Raleigh.  However,  with respect to state capitals in the Southeast, Raleigh is far more preferable than Columbia, Montgomery, and Tallahassee.

P.S.: While Columbus obviously isn’t in the South, I find it to be a city that is very similar to Raleigh.

Edited by SydneyCarton

51 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^ I think Raleigh is superior to Nashville in transportation, livability, economy etc.   

anyway here is a great discussion from Brian Leary an exec with Highwoods talking about the future and specifically Raleigh in the next few years

Launch2021_HIW_BrianLeary on Vimeo

Thank you for sharing this, K'burg.  Excellent.

• Like 3

So, my wife is a store manager at the Triangle Town Center mall. Apparently there are whispers among mall employees that TTC is closing down sometime quite soon "so offices with apartments on top can go there". Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or is there any way to find out?

Edited by Raleigh Walker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raleigh Walker said:

So, my wife is a store manager at the Triangle Town Center mall. Apparently there are whispers among mall employees that TTC is closing down "so offices with apartments on top can go there". Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or is there any way to find out?

That would make sense.  The originally vision for the "Northeast Regional Center" of Raleigh (circa 1998) when the mall was first proposed would have done something like this from the start -- of course, who wants to listen to the design graduate student intern responsible for the "vision"?  LOL.   I hope this happens sooner, rather than later -- that area isn't getting any better....

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 2

Triangle venture capitalists want to take advantage of the movement of people and firms from California.  

I agree with this article and many of the smaller companies in Silicon Valley are good ones to attract as it is so expensive to scale a business in California due to costs and regulations.

Triangle VCs, execs ready to capitalize on Silicon Valley exodus | WRAL TechWire

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Triangle venture capitalists want to take advantage of the movement of people and firms from California.  

I agree with this article and many of the smaller companies in Silicon Valley are good ones to attract as it is so expensive to scale a business in California due to costs and regulations.

Triangle VCs, execs ready to capitalize on Silicon Valley exodus | WRAL TechWire

At the rate things are going in CA that state will be like a 3rd world country in about 10-15 yrs or maybe even sooner. You'll have the wealthy who continues to live their life unimpeded, and then everyone else.

• Like 3