Grand Bohemian Hotel – 15 Floors – 254 Rooms – Boutique Hotel

No worries.  Posts by anonymous people will never offend me. 

I do actually agree with you on the 129 W Trade building.  I am not a fan.  I have been in it multiple times, and it does not get very much natural light inside, at least compared to modern buildings.  That said, seeing the older pictures of it standing in isolation make it look better. 

To get back on topic, I am actually not a fan of the design or architecture of the Grand Bohemian.  I used to work in the Carillon building, and I loved the park this is replacing.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

No worries.  Posts by anonymous people will never offend me. 

I do actually agree with you on the 129 W Trade building.  I am not a fan.  I have been in it multiple times, and it does not get very much natural light inside, at least compared to modern buildings.  That said, seeing the older pictures of it standing in isolation make it look better. 

To get back on topic, I am actually not a fan of the design or architecture of the Grand Bohemian.  I used to work in the Carillon building, and I loved the park this is replacing.  

I also lament the loss of the park particularly considering all of the parking lots in the immediate vicinity.

It would be nice if BB&T and Honeywell build towers on existing lots,

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Don't forget there will be green space between the GB and Carillon. With direct access to the bar and patio.  Should create a pretty cool, intimate setting. 

1785188642_2019-04-0309_22_15-2newluxuryhotelssettobeginconstruction-CharlotteAgenda.png.d0ebaf0d671963cb4e07f4d110adb1d3.png

I did forget about this, but I still liked that park quite a bit.  To SC's point, there are lot of lots available.  That said, it is still infill and not a 4-6 story beige apartment, and it will create more foot traffic here.  I just don't like the style.  There is plenty I do like in the city to keep me happy these days though. 

3 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

I did forget about this, but I still liked that park quite a bit.  To SC's point, there are lot of lots available.  That said, it is still infill and not a 4-6 story beige apartment, and it will create more foot traffic here.  I just don't like the style.  There is plenty I do like in the city to keep me happy these days though. 

Many don’t like the style, but I think that it will turn out well.  I saw the one in Orlando last week, and I think that it looks very good.

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I also lament the loss of the park particularly considering all of the parking lots in the immediate vicinity.

It would be nice if BB&T and Honeywell build towers on existing lots,

I think in Uptown, there needs to be at least two more surface lots that will be converted into parks. I did like that park and wish this hotel went across the street next to the church. 

Edited by j-man

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I think Uptown need to convert at least two more surface lots into parks. I did like that park and wish this hotel went across the street next to the church. 

Thats going to be very tough. I think we need to start a movement to get all of the DOT ROW for the highway and parcels adjacent that are too small for high density development converted into linear greenway. Could actually DOUBLE the size of Frazier Park if done right.

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Don't forget there will be green space between the GB and Carillon. With direct access to the bar and patio.  Should create a pretty cool, intimate setting. 

1785188642_2019-04-0309_22_15-2newluxuryhotelssettobeginconstruction-CharlotteAgenda.png.d0ebaf0d671963cb4e07f4d110adb1d3.png

And it won't have to deal with the hassle of keeping up with pesky grass and have some great astroturf instead! /s

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Thats going to be very tough. I think we need to start a movement to get all of the DOT ROW for the highway and parcels adjacent that are too small for high density development converted into linear greenway. Could actually DOUBLE the size of Frazier Park if done right.

So what about that parcel across from where the Publix is going in front of  the sky house towers. It’s mostly grass already with some nice trees and that one coffee shop. With more development that would be the best spot uptown if the north side heats up. 

30 minutes ago, j-man said:

So what about that parcel across from where the Publix is going in front of  the sky house towers. It’s mostly grass already with some nice trees and that one coffee shop. With more development that would be the best spot uptown if the north side heats up. 

It probably has the most owners of any underutilized parcel in uptown. So you'd have to convince 7 owners to sell at super government friendly rates. Each owner is going to sell at high prices, because they know you have to pay it. You're talking $60M for that piece of land.  THERE IS GOOD NEWS FOR YOU THOUGH.

Part of the ultimate plan for Hal Marshall is to do a 4-5 acre sculpture garden park, if they can ever find the political will to do anything with it. One project at a time. SOURCE HERE. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article208451364.html

image.thumb.png.39c2d39c37e94ea8176a2bfc21fda01b.png 

Edited by Guest

My wish would be, when they redevelop Hal Marshall, is to simply preserve Phifer Avenue, and then cut 10th through as planned. The resulting area between Phifer, 10th, Tryon and College would be a nice, self-contained urban park. They could route Phifer in whatever configuration they wanted, based on what was constructed on its SW side.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:23 PM, Urban Cowboy said:

I am very concerned about how the finished facade will look on the grand bohemian. It’s shaping up to look cheap.

As always - thanks for the photos KJ

Based on the mockups, it will be the most garish building this side of an italianate mcmansion

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I knew the Orlando GB was a similar design, but when I was on Google Maps, I didn't realize how identical they are in the back as well.  However, ours contains the rooftop access which I like.  Although the decor is over the top...I think a little over the top is good for Uptown.

1782576281_2019-04-1008_35_53-GrandBohemianHotelOrlandoAutographCollection-GoogleMaps.png.c86d29fdc3aa63af761be3e17770cd9f.png

Rooftop access... over the top. I get it.

• Haha 3