Learning from Other Places

This developer spent 17 years buying up property on the edge of downtown Raleigh and with a new park coming next door it will now redevelop.  But he kept all the buildings in the meantime and rented them out.   Hmm do we here in Charlotte have any developers who bought up blocks?

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article259300314.html

these parcels are across from Kane's Smoky Hollow and Peace development where they have a Publix with 11 floors of apartments above. 

• Like 2

Lesson for Charlotte don't allow a building this ugly to be built here like this one along the Katy Freeway in Houston.  Houston has so many great looking buildings but phew this one stinks.

any architects can you talk to this style or the blue toilet looking part? 

Katy-Plaza.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, KJHburg said:

Lesson for Charlotte don't allow a building this ugly to be built here like this one along the Katy Freeway in Houston.  Houston has so many great looking buildings but phew this one stinks.

any architects can you talk to this style or the blue toilet looking part? 

The blue is - what's the phrase? - lipstick on a pig.

For the style, I invite you to enjoy this other late-80s post modern project:

image.thumb.png.ea7f0d4247f7a64308f1cd407b2251c3.png

• Like 3

Well NYC does things big like a 60 story stalled uncompleted condo tower in lower Manhattan and it leans like the condo tower in San Fran.  Oh yeah it is 670 feet tall much taller than our unfinished uptown First Ward garage. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:45 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

DC has been throwing up quite a bit of miles of protected bike lanes a year and the new budget proposes another 10 miles of protected bike lanes (like below) every year for the next 6 years.

I've also read Chicago is about to add a ton of protected bike lanes and I heard Austin was starting to add a good amount. Charlotte needs these bike lanes everywhere in the greater center city area even parallel redundant ones. Without a vast network of bike lanes, existing ones wont be utilized to their potential. 

spacer.png

This is great news and should be the standard for any new bike lane built anywhere. The recent Parkwood re-do is a great example of this, along with 6th street uptown.

• Like 1

Fair enough, but a few points: the tiny round bumps on the ground DID have plastic bollards originally... so yeeeah... just goes to show the effectiveness of those. :)

Unkempt bike lanes are the norm everywhere around this city. I simply no longer expect the City of Charlotte to do anything about it. Once I let go of attachment to what the city SHOULD be doing to maintain bike "infrastructure" (aka, a painted white line if you're lucky) I simply no longer stress it. Set your expectation to zero, and only then will the city meet it.

The reality is even filled with trash and debris there is at least a dedicated bike lane now, and random sections do have a tiny concrete barrier. A very low bar to be sure, but I'll take those improvements over nothing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out photos of Memorial Drive in Atlanta and how it has changed in about 6 years.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/beforeafter-memorial-drives-unreal-transformation-recent-years

If someone did this in Charlotte what streets would you do?  I would pick N Davidson from Parkwood up to beyond 36th St or N Brevard or uptown on Stonewall from McDowell to Mint.  (and in some cases it would be even more dramatic here in Charlotte) 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 6:15 PM, KJHburg said:

Check this out photos of Memorial Drive in Atlanta and how it has changed in about 6 years.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/beforeafter-memorial-drives-unreal-transformation-recent-years

If someone did this in Charlotte what streets would you do?  I would pick N Davidson from Parkwood up to beyond 36th St or N Brevard or uptown on Stonewall from McDowell to Mint.  (and in some cases it would be even more dramatic here in Charlotte) 

Charlotte is well on its way out transforming several corridors like this over this decade and sequential ones.  I used to live in Atlanta, and was there when that occurred. Charlotte is doing a better job of turning around corridors now before congestion impede these measures. We should remain as aggressive towards elected leadership to continue to push these measures of transforming key corridors 

North Tryon, North Graham, North Davidson, Central towards Albemarle, the Plaza, Monroe Road all come to mind as corridors with these types of transformations.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 4:33 PM, rancenc said:

The same development/property management company that has ran The Epicentre into the ground? CIM Group

I'll pass on that. We can get the same thing yet better here in Charlotte with a developer that won't let our urban core have an eyesore with the Epicentre redux.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...