Lakeshore Projects

GRLaker

Thoughts on the design?  Would overlook the Lake MI beach in Manistee.

Suburban Inns is proposing a five-story Hampton Inn & Suites hotel with 108 rooms at 101 S. Lakeshore Drive Plans for the interior of the hotel include a fitness center, lobby bar and an indoor pool with an indoor/outdoor spa, according to the application. The exterior plans include a patio with firepits and space for bocce ball, beach volleyball and shuffleboard.

image.thumb.png.607a8e5edfa6c35e13990af1a8bb1973.png

https://www.manisteenews.com/local-news/article/What-to-know-about-the-proposed-Hampton-Inn-plans-16064746.php

• Like 1

2 hours ago, walker said:

By the way, I just took a look at your etsy website.  Nice stuff:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatLakesPS

Thanks :)  I sell them at Bluedoor on Fulton, Oh Hello on Monroe Center, and Reinspired Treasures in Alger Heights if you'd like to see them in person.  Oh, and at Tanger, Rivertown, and Woodland in the My State Designs store.  Along with many tourist towns of course.  Hit 40 retailers this week, mostly in Michigan.

4 hours ago, GreatLakesPrintShop said:

Thoughts on the design?  Would overlook the Lake MI beach in Manistee.

Suburban Inns is proposing a five-story Hampton Inn & Suites hotel with 108 rooms at 101 S. Lakeshore Drive Plans for the interior of the hotel include a fitness center, lobby bar and an indoor pool with an indoor/outdoor spa, according to the application. The exterior plans include a patio with firepits and space for bocce ball, beach volleyball and shuffleboard.

image.thumb.png.607a8e5edfa6c35e13990af1a8bb1973.png

https://www.manisteenews.com/local-news/article/What-to-know-about-the-proposed-Hampton-Inn-plans-16064746.php

The great thing about the Hilton and Marriott affiliated hotels like Hampton (Fairfield, Courtyard, etc...) is that no matter where you go, you have a pretty good idea what you're getting...  

The bad thing about those same hotels is that no matter where you go, you have a pretty good idea what you're getting.

51 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

What's going in here?

Some pricey real estate listings with new renderings are up for this project.  https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/159-S-River-Ave-505-Holland-MI-49423/2075612969_zpid/

image.thumb.png.011d61d058120af704896442a9e2c7e4.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
27 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

It looks like a newer version of what was there before.

Agreed. You can see where they point at maximum heights (which must be a point of contention), but it looks like a mediocre strip mall (which is basically the 80's design of Chinook Pier). Seems like they added "fun" areas to appease the masses ("games!"). How many times do you walk through a city with a giant chess board and actually see someone using it (or a metal ping pong table, like downtown GR)? 

To me, this is a real miss on someones part. It seems like they could have come up with a really interesting development by re-orienting the buildings, using quality materials, and putting a lot more thought into it. There was a big build up to them releasing the plans, and I definitely heard a sad trombone sound when I looked at the plans. LOL

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

How many times do you walk through a city with a giant chess board and actually see someone using it (or a metal ping pong table, like downtown GR)? 

My 7 year old and I spent a couple hours playing giant chess against all comers in Charelvoix last summer...

I could totally see that being popular in a tourist town like Grand Haven. 

But otherwise, this is just replacing a strip mall with a newer strip mall. And there must have been some NIMBY objection to the height with all the height labels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cstonesparty said:

Pretty sure that’s what they asked for though. That’s where the issue lies…

I read that several Grand Haven officials were totally against this proposal. Said it was uninspiring. Of course I can't find the article now, but it was a few weeks ago. 

19 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I read that several Grand Haven officials were totally against this proposal. Said it was uninspiring. Of course I can't find the article now, but it was a few weeks ago. 

That’s interesting.  This and similar comments is what I was reflecting:  

The guidelines for redeveloping Chinook Pier also call for limiting buildings to one story with a mezzanine, similar to what was there before.”

28 minutes ago, cstonesparty said:

That’s interesting.  This and similar comments is what I was reflecting:  

The guidelines for redeveloping Chinook Pier also call for limiting buildings to one story with a mezzanine, similar to what was there before.”

I had less gripes about the height (I'm sure they're trying to keep any new development close to the channel somewhat short to keep sightlines). I agree with the officials, it's just 110% uninspiring and it seems somewhat dated before it's even built. If the best they can do is add garage doors and "sailing canopies", it seems like it could fit well in any strip mall, USA.

Joe

chinook-pier-retail-conceptual-rendering-020422.jpeg

Does the plan actually eliminate any green space? Other than the empty lot created when the old Chinook Pier was demolished? And people want it to have more parking?

One thing that's good about these plans is that they maintain the public access to the water that Chinook Pier had.  And there's a park literally next door...

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 1

It is a realistic option to just keep it open. If they decide to do that, I'd say kill the parking and keep it all green space (if they go that route). Push the commercial focus to the core and keep it nice and park like. 

I guess that's what happens when you submit an underwhelming proposal. Choosing to do nothing over a plan that took four teams to work on has got to be a bit of a blow to the ego. :)

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

It is a realistic option to just keep it open. If they decide to do that, I'd say kill the parking and keep it all green space (if they go that route). Push the commercial focus to the core and keep it nice and park like. 

I guess that's what happens when you submit an underwhelming proposal. Choosing to do nothing over a plan that took four teams to work on has got to be a bit of a blow to the ego. :)

Joe

I would think that the revamp of farmer’s market will stick, so parking is likely to remain along with that.  Further down the road, there are shops in the berm of the slope.  I think that open sight line is what people there ideally would envision.  I don’t think there’s vertical space to replicate that concept on Chinook Pier site though.