Scott's Addition Development

varunner

11 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Link is dead.

Newbie question: What is Level2?

edit: looks like their entire site is down?

Almost seems like a name of some sort - but who would name an apartment building "Level  2"?  Mr. Spock, playing 3-D chess, maybe? ("Queens three to King's Level 2...")

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 3

This project is in line with the county's vision longer term vision for Westwood, similar to the new Kinsale office building and adjacent residential project https://www.tapestrywest.com/, plus some other projects in the pipeline. Today however, it would feel pretty isolated as everything around it is still very much in use industrial / flex properties.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This project is in line with the county's vision longer term vision for Westwood, similar to the new Kinsale office building and adjacent residential project https://www.tapestrywest.com/, plus some other projects in the pipeline. Today however, it would feel pretty isolated as everything around it is still very much in use industrial / flex properties.

So with Spy Rock's apartment building in the eastern part of this district and The Tapestry in the western part, what's the over/under on how long it will take this part of the country to reach a level of transition to residential we now see happening in Scott's? Curious to get a feel for how long these new developments might be residential islands in a sea of industrial/flex properties, particularly given the county's longer-range goal of creating something akin to a Scott's version 2.0.

Edited by I miss RVA

24 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

So with Spy Rock's apartment building in the eastern part of this district and The Tapestry in the western part, what's the over/under on how long it will take this part of the country to reach a level of transition to residential we now see happening in Scott's? Curious to get a feel for how long these new developments might be residential islands in a sea of industrial/flex properties, particularly given the county's longer-range goal of creating something akin to a Scott's version 2.0.

I could see it being very attractive to some people who either have kids and want better schools Henrico has to offer, or lower taxes, while still being right outside the city and adjacent to SA. That part of Henrico is literally a peninsula that juts into the city, so you have a lot of the technical benefits of living in the county while living to closer the city action than many people people who are actually within the city limits.

That said I'm not sure many people with kids live in apt complexes like this, and while adjacent to SA, it's completely blocked off due to the interstate and rail lines.  I wonder if as part of Richmond300 connectivity they reconnect Norfolk and Moore over the rail line.

• Like 1

Norfolk was supposed to be reconnected per the plan - but the Bonaventure project looks like it will block any chance of that. Unfortunately a lot of the ideas in Richmond 300 that required city procurement may be coming in too late. Maybe we can at least get some sort of pedestrian overpass someday to Hamilton. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea it's coming tho at least we have clarifiction its the city's artitifical delay and not actual economics.

Someone needs to run on a anti planning pro housing platform as has been said would unite many factions. Delays in the permit office are criminal. It should be canon that developer is granted rights within so many days of application and put rhe onus on the planning dept to counter if they must within time frame otherwise plans pass to adoption.. As it is now is not working.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Yea it's coming tho at least we have clarifiction its the city's artitifical delay and not actual economics.

Someone needs to run on a anti planning pro housing platform as has been said would unite many factions. Delays in the permit office are criminal. It should be canon that developer is granted rights within so many days of application and put rhe onus on the planning dept to counter if they must within time frame otherwise plans pass to adoption.. As it is now is not working.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

I'm probably off on the dollar value, but didn't Bruce once comment that upwards of $1 billion in development is being held up in the planning office by the logjams with the permit approval process?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

The two problems with such a grant-of-rights/waiver scenario that I can see are a) it’s always going to have a exception for good cause, and b) what constitutes good cause is going to get litigated, causing further delay and legal expenses.

For us simpletons (such as myself) and non-CRE-industry folk (also such as myself), what does this mean? I'm asking earnestly - I'd like to understand more about this process.

43 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

For us simpletons (such as myself) and non-CRE-industry folk (also such as myself), what does this mean? I'm asking earnestly - I'd like to understand more about this process.

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t know much at all. I’m certainly not in the industry. If you’re a simpleton, then I’m a sub-simpleton.

That said, the suggestion is there should be a law that if a developer submits plans and the city doesn’t respond/counter within a specified period of time, then the city waives any objection and the plans “pass to adoption.” If this were to become law, then it would be up to the General Assembly as a law of general application, not just enforceable on the City of Richmond. And my guess is the local government lobby would fight such a law and at least ensure it has a safe harbor. Otherwise you could have a less than desirable plan proceed without alteration based on nothing other than the passage of time.

So let’s say there’s  an exception for the local government’s delayed response on the ground there was good cause for the delay, i.e., we’re being diligent but just can’t meet the deadline for some reason. And then let’s say the developer says there’s no good cause, you guys are just gumming up the works for no good reason. Who decides whether or not there’s good cause? A court or arbiter. Which means the parties are spending money on attorneys to litigate the matter, which could take a good bit of time. I’m not sure whose interest that would promote.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t know much at all. I’m certainly not in the industry. If you’re a simpleton, then I’m a sub-simpleton.

That said, the suggestion is there should be a law that if a developer submits plans and the city doesn’t respond/counter within a specified period of time, then the city waives any objection and the plans “pass to adoption.” If this were to become law, then it would be up to the General Assembly as a law of general application, not just enforceable on the City of Richmond. And my guess is the local government lobby would fight such a law and at least ensure it has a safe harbor. Otherwise you could have a less than desirable plan proceed without alteration based on nothing other than the passage of time.

So let’s say there’s  an exception for the local government’s delayed response on the ground there was good cause for the delay, i.e., we’re being diligent but just can’t meet the deadline for some reason. And then let’s say the developer says there’s no good cause, you guys are just gumming up the works for no good reason. Who decides whether or not there’s good cause? A court or arbiter. Which means the parties are spending money on attorneys to litigate the matter, which could take a good bit of time. I’m not sure whose interest that would promote.

Thanks for the clarity on this. Much appreciated! :tw_thumbsup:

It seems to me that the city can fix this - and it goes without saying that they SHOULD fix this. If "good cause" is that the city is insufficiently staffed to handle the volume and level of incoming permit requests because the city is booming, then it seems to me that some form of resource reallocation on the part of the city and process streamlining should be first-and-foremost on the agenda of "must get done" items administratively because this could seriously derail projects that the city can't afford to watch either wither and die on the fine or simply walk away because of timing, financing, etc. I recall Bruce getting on the soap box about this at some point in commentary to an article in RBS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Richmonopoly said:

Not what I expected for this section of Scotts Addition, but I assume this is because of 95 access. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/02/09/thalhimer-adds-to-holdings-along-arthur-ashe-blvd-lines-up-big-name-tenants/

Why?  They should build this out in Short Pump or Midlo ..  Not Right across from the “Diamond District “  ! 

• Like 1

Yep.  This is pretty wretched.  
I’m really hating the idea of moving the Starbucks (like others I assume the one near Aldi will go).  The current location does a lot of drive through business but it still functions as a local coffee shop.  People walk from their homes and some even linger inside or on the side patio.  The new location has very few people (currently) living anywhere near it.  It will just be a stop off of the interstate.  

I hate what this stretch of AA Blvd is becoming.  I don’t see how the Diamond District ever becomes anything when situated across the street from a Raising Canes, WaWa and car wash. I never had much hope for this area and I’m quickly loosing what little l have left. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1