Scott's Addition Development

varunner

@Urbs42-- I can easily see something like this in the Diamond District. It's not bad, though I'm 100% in with @eandsleein that nothing over 6 stories would be a real kick in the jewels, tbh. :tw_confused:  Not that I'm expecting to see 25 or 30 story buildings -- but I'd like to see at least ONE or two buildings 10, 11, 12 stories mixed in.

I fear you're right, though. This is about the best we can hope for right now. HOWEVER - something to consider:

This development took only 31 acres. The Diamond District comprises 67 acres. I'd be perfectly happy -- FOR THE TIME BEING -- if we got something, ballpark included, about 30-ish acres along this like (like the mosaic) with the outer portions undeveloped even for a while -- provided that this development served as the catalyst for bigger and better just outside the boundary of the initial development. Meaning - go ahead and develop 30-35 acres with the ballpark, the Mosaic-like urban development, etc - and leave the other 32-37 acres undeveloped FOR NOW.  THEN - however many years down the road (hopefully not TOO many - I don't think I'm gonna necessarily make it to 100!!) a second wave of bigger, denser, more intense development with taller buildings on the undeveloped portion.

Honestly, developing it in stages like this -- in chunks -- I think would open the door to getting some of those bigger buildings we want here.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'll be curious to know if we'll get a chance to see the designs of multiple developers when they're putting forth their bids and designs? I hope we're not left to wonder what other developers proposed - and are feted only to the "chosen" design for the Diamond District.

I think we won’t see any of the designs…only the chosen one.  At least that’s the way I understand it to work based on what I read somewhere.  It’s a shame because I’d like to see what the city is giving up for their chosen design/plan. 

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I think we won’t see any of the designs…only the chosen one.  At least that’s the way I understand it to work based on what I read somewhere.  It’s a shame because I’d like to see what the city is giving up for their chosen design/plan. 

That IS a shame. I'd like to see that as well.

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

You might see them after the fact as they are subject to FOIA, but only after the bid process is completed and some news outlet would have to pursue it. Unless you did it yourself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

You might see them after the fact as they are subject to FOIA, but only after the bid process is completed and some news outlet would have to pursue it. Unless you did it yourself.

Perhaps the "news" outlet known as RVA-UP (or UP-RVA) could take the bull by the horns and pursue this. Afterall - the inquiring minds (of RVA development geeks) want to know! :tw_smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

No renderings unfortunately but i got a footprint for the 7 story building to be on AA - part of the Ashe Addition development. Footprint shows a plaza at southern end of site.

1201NAA.png

This is the swanky apartment building being constructed by Novel?

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

new rendering of the Bonaventure project !bonaventure_scotts.thumb.jpg.9846fb333c9f9351447c92354567e7b3.jpg

Holy WOW! That's BIG! GORGEOUS buildings!

There was a really cool article earlier this week in the RBS about the young couple who own the auto repair shop on Belleville Street -- they made a KILLING on their investment when Bonaventure approached them to buy the site b/c it is in the footprint of this project. They're using it to open a new location not far from the old location. Realllllllly neat story!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/02/15/scotts-addition-building-owners-get-quadruple-return-after-3-years/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Noting that the tower cranes for both Greystar's The Otis and Opus' Ascend are gone after both have topped out.  Somehow I missed when they were removed.

The lull before the storm. They'll be back, given all the large-scale projects in the pipeline about to launch in Scott's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Interesting plan submittal this week - subdivision request filed for the Seaboard property at 3600 W Broad. See parcel map below - notes indicicate taking this  1 parcel to 3 , that's all the info i have at this time - could they be splitting off the parking lots to the side and rear to position those for redevelopment?

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/dae6c64d-f734-44cb-b36a-46a584af90fc?tab=locations

3600_subd.png

Yeah i don't see how it could be anything other than selling the parking lots off.