Scott's Addition Development

varunner

18 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

As was pointed out in the comments, perhaps another developer could come in, buy up the CVS property at A.A. Blvd and Broad - and develop something with significant size/height (mixed-use, residential) with CVS occupying a prominent ground-floor retail spot. (How cool would it be to see such a building with CVS on the actual corner, being both Broad Street and Arthur Ashe facing.) Maybe the development of this hotel will, in fact, spark something major next door on the corner.

I was thinking the same thing, that sad, sad intersection of Broad and AA is a major gateway and really needs a lift. Unbelievable Subway is still on that corner. Really hope this hotel spurs redevelopment there, I've said a long time ago I have no problem with a CVS on that corner, just bring it up to the street, put the parking behind it, and put a few stories of apts over it.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

I was thinking the same thing, that sad, sad intersection of Broad and AA is a major gateway and really needs a lift. Unbelievable Subway is still on that corner. Really hope this hotel spurs redevelopment there, I've said a long time ago I have no problem with a CVS on that corner, just bring it up to the street, put the parking behind it, and put a few stories of apts over it.

Yep - that's precisely what's needed. As one commenter in RBS noted - put the CVS on the ground floor of a 10-to-15 story building, right on the corner. With the Shamin hotel next door at 12 stories, perhaps... PERHAPS... if a developer filed for an SUP to go to 15 stories they'd get it (though (I can already hear the firestorm of NIMBY screams and yowls about one building "destroying" the character of the ENTIRETY of the Fan, the Museum District, Byrd Park... Screenshot(1704)-Copy-Copy.png.c3f53a159b7a5df6015a194dc73186f3.pngman-facepalming.jpg.59683d16025f9b10c33c6fe6b472951d.jpg  Dunno how a second building of 12 stories - which can be built BY RIGHT under the TOD-1 zoning - would fly with the locals seeking to have the city "force" a scale-back. Ugh... And the ridiculous cry of "Don't NOVA my RVA" will undoubtedly start up.

ANYWAY - it would be AWESOME to see that corner transformed into something truly urban.

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Unbelievable Subway is still on that corner.

Pro tip: Don't go to that Subway.

Edited to add: I'm struggling to understand why a developer would want to build 15 stories on the CVS site considering, as noted, it could do so by right up to 12 stories.

Edited by Flood Zone

3 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Edited to add: I'm struggling to understand why a developer would want to build 15 stories on the CVS site considering, as noted, it could do so by right up to 12 stories.

That Subway: I haven't been in that Subway in nearly a quarter century and as I remember, it was disgusting then. I can't imagine how it is now.

15 stories: I can't really see it either unless demand ramped up to the point that it would make sense (i.e., something taller than 12 stories would "pencil"). The best example we have right now of a developer filing for an SUP and blowing through a by-right height "limit" is Avery Hall.. By right, they can develop their Manchester riverfront property up to 13 stories. But - as we know - they wanted more and got their SUP for 16 and 17 story towers.

Purpose of the question: I was raising the question somewhat rhetorically (and hypothetically), to check the "wind direction" by putting forth the idea that IF (and ain't THAT it "biggest" word in the English language!) a developer wanted to go beyond 12 stories (to, say, 15 floors) - 1.) Would having the AC at 12 floors right next door help get a taller building across the finish line at City Hall, and 2.) how much NIMBY pushback would there be? My guess is that the pushback would be vociferous. What are the odds that even our friend from Oregon Hill would chime in with very vocal protests about how a 15-story building at A.A. Boulevard & W. Broad would somehow "destroy" the "character" of Oregon Hill (despite the fact that the building would be roughly two miles away)? Hmmm... image.jpeg.edfeec4533e93329f4e122c3d4eb7e88.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Wowwww... 299 rooms... already zoned TOD-1 and they're planning to go the full 12 stories. Once this is built, (and given that, once the Outlier starts, there will be five significant apartment buildings under construction) I'd say that Scott's more-or-less "officially" leapfrogs over Manchester (where development appears to have seriously stalled) as THE HOTTEST, booming neighborhood in the city.

As was pointed out in the comments, perhaps another developer could come in, buy up the CVS property at A.A. Blvd and Broad - and develop something with significant size/height (mixed-use, residential) with CVS occupying a prominent ground-floor retail spot. (How cool would it be to see such a building with CVS on the actual corner, being both Broad Street and Arthur Ashe facing.) Maybe the development of this hotel will, in fact, spark something major next door on the corner.

But back to the hotel - it may have slipped under the radar: AC operates nearly 250 hotels worldwide, including 122 locations in 35 states and U.S. territories. The Richmond hotel will be the first in the Commonwealth of Virginia. How cool is that?!?!

Check out these AMAZING renderings. Oh boy, I'm absolutely salivating over this one.

Renderings courtesy of the City of Richmond via Richmond BizSense:

shamin-hardees-rendering1.png

shamin-hardees-rendering2.png

Screenshot (4159).png

Dang it, @eandslee - you beat me by one minute!   image.png.b4922242251d152509c4334c635cde33.png  I took WAYYYY too much time researching and writing up my (usual) oddball "analysis". image.png.c5421c48c30cf7ffe4ef5323eeae7de8.png

(And btw, the "thanks" reaction to your post came from me, just so you know I'm not overly bummed... image.png.f391be88625a3ab4b2e9603790a8299d.png)

The comment on the cvs being raised for something nicer and more prominent was me. I used to always go past it when I lived in Richmond and I see so many shady people and druggies hanging out there when I worked in the electrical field on new construction projects. It’s always been an eyesore. That Hardee’s too I love the breakfast but I’m just fine sacrificing Hardee’s for this beautiful 12 story building. Wish I was still in town see all of this development. My family and I are coming down to celebrate my daughters 2nd birthday on March 16th but we never stay we always go back the same day. Just too much going on up here getting settled and getting ready to move into our new home next year. So think we get finally settled for good and my mom and dad has a room redone for us at my parents house Richmond is just a day trip unfortunately 

• Like 1

That’s a nice CVS, insofar as the selections of beauty and health products are solidly middle to upper middle class.  The inside is clean and always newly renovated (over my 30+ years in Richmond).  

I’ve never understood why that intersection attracts so many desperate people on the sidewalks.  They clearly cannot afford to live any where near this intersection.  The McDonald’s get renovated every 3-4 years it seems and the lots is nicely maintained but the customer base is so beaten down.  I don’t know what attracts that crowd (a methadone clinic nearby? homeless services? SS office?). 

29 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

The comment on the cvs being raised for something nicer and more prominent was me. I used to always go past it when I lived in Richmond and I see so many shady people and druggies hanging out there when I worked in the electrical field on new construction projects. It’s always been an eyesore. That Hardee’s too I love the breakfast but I’m just fine sacrificing Hardee’s for this beautiful 12 story building. Wish I was still in town see all of this development. My family and I are coming down to celebrate my daughters 2nd birthday on March 16th but we never stay we always go back the same day. Just too much going on up here getting settled and getting ready to move into our new home next year. So think we get finally settled for good and my mom and dad has a room redone for us at my parents house Richmond is just a day trip unfortunately 

First, Mazal Tov to you,  your daughter and your entire family on the occasion of her 2nd birthday! 

Yeah - the Hardee's -- my first wife and I ate at that Hardee's heaven knows how many times over the course of 10 years. And we got our prescriptions filled at the CVS - and were on a first-name basis with the pharmacist, who had been there for many decades. Lots of happy memories in that neighborhood. Oh yeah - including eating at that icky Subway... many times. More than I'd like to admit publicly. 

On 3/7/2024 at 1:36 PM, Flood Zone said:

I have not been to any Subway's in a very long time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brent114 said:

That’s a nice CVS, insofar as the selections of beauty and health products are solidly middle to upper middle class.  The inside is clean and always newly renovated (over my 30+ years in Richmond).  

I’ve never understood why that intersection attracts so many desperate people on the sidewalks.  They clearly cannot afford to live any where near this intersection.  The McDonald’s get renovated every 3-4 years it seems and the lots is nicely maintained but the customer base is so beaten down.  I don’t know what attracts that crowd (a methadone clinic nearby? homeless services? SS office?). 

I remember when it was People's Drug - long before CVS bought them out. I actually remember this building - when it was directly on the corner (where the parking lot is now) -- and I remember that intersection -- Boulevard (as it was known then) and Broad being pretty schlocky and rundown. I kinda remember the building on the northwest corner (2nd photo) where the 7-11 is now (and has been for years). Somewhere, I remember when the old People's was torn down and the (at the time) new store was built (and ditto the 7-11) -- but don't ask me to quote the year because while I remember seeing it as it was happening, I don't have a milepost of time to tie to it. Maybe both in the '80s?

Anyway - this was Arthur Ashe and W. Broad back in the day. The first photo (looking north) was dated September 1960. The second photo (looking west) wasn't dated, but from the look of the car in the picture, I'd guesstimate it to be from minimally the mid-'70s. I SO remember the neon tubing in the "People's" and "Open All Night" signs in the second (definitely later) photo - especially when the tubes were on the fritz and the portions of the word would be flickering or burned out altogether. 

3595197545_f9a2492357_c.jpg

a15388595cda2c004087b56f8d55602e (1).jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

People’s Drug!!!

Yep!! Such a Richmond tradition for those of us old enough to remember them before CVS bought them out. Ditto Standard Drug - People's and Standard had stores ALL OVER town. Like - EVERYWHERE. Downtown, Scott's, Manchester, Northside, East End, West End, Westover Hills, Azalea. They were in storefronts, stand-alone stores and in the malls. I can't remember specifically where they were, but I recall there being both a People's and a Standard on Broad Street either in the Arts District or just east of the Arts District, closer to the retail core. I think Standard then moved over to the May Company Building on Grace - I think on the 6th and Grace corner, directly across from the Loews Theater (Carpenter Center).

I remember when I was a kid getting yummies at the soda fountain at the People's on Broad Street downtown.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I also remember going to People's Drug for sodas and fries.

They had good milk shakes as well. It was SOOO much fun sitting at the lunch counter and watching the lady behind the counter actually making the shake. Yum!! 😋

• Like 1