The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

Drivers using Interstate 24 between downtown Nashville and Murfreesboro will be the first in Tennessee to have paid express lanes available, under a plan the state released on Monday.

The state Department of Transportation has deemed that stretch of highway as the strongest, "most obvious and best investment" for adding fast-track toll lanes. The state is calling them "choice lanes" because they'll give drivers an option to speed up their trip while keeping the number of existing lanes the same.

TDOT also aims to add a toll lane along Interstate 65 South between downtown Nashville and Spring Hill, though it's pursuing the I-24 corridor first. Both potential projects stood out as Greater Nashville highlights within a 10-year construction plan TDOT published on Dec. 18, showing how it would spend $3.3 billion of new aid approved by the General Assembly earlier this year.

Some other notable Greater Nashville projects include:

- widening I-24 in Montgomery County, northwest of Nashville

- building a bypass on State Route 109 around Portland, "to complete … the corridor improvements"

- replacing eight bridges

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/12/18/tdot-choice-lanes-toll-highway-investment-tma.html

And at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2023/12/18/tennessee-eyes-toll-choice-lanes-in-nashville-knoxville-chattanooga-tdot-gov-bill-lee/71958290007/

And also behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/politics/state/state-targets-nashville-interstates-for-toll-lane-project/article_589e7c90-9de6-11ee-a186-175cb5493c3e.html

Here are the plans for Region 3 (in/around Nashville):

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 12.13.47 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

First and foremost, I have nothing against bikes or those that enjoy using them. But they will never in America, be an alternative form of transportation. And I mean  as a general form for the masses, it will not be the choice for most people that decide to not drive cars. I’m not saying that proper infrastructure should not be incorporated, especially within the core of major cities. But we aren’t going to be seeing bike lanes running parallel to every single street throughout this city or any other. Just as we’re not going to see daily commuters hopping on bikes and riding 15-20 or more miles into downtown to go to work. The fact of adverse weather alone, will make that a non existent element along with the time to do such things. So while I agree that yes , there’s a need and a justification to have bike lanes available in the city and the safety of bikers is just as vital as any other , the municipalities have to weigh their budgets to fund what infrastructure needs will benefit the larger majority of its population 

I think we agree on bikes.  I worked downtown for years and have driven Uber part-time for years.  During that time I don't recall every seeing a bike  on one of the core business district  bike lanes and maybe 5 or 6 on any bike lane.     Take 12th Ave for example.  I have yet to see a bike in that new bike lane with the huge concrete curb that seperate bike lane and road, but I have seen a pedestrian fall trying to cross them.  Also if you see the tires marks that have hit those curbs and the huge chunks of the contrete that have been knocked out already,  its a blessing no bikes were on them, not to mention the damages to cars that has been caused.  I hate to imagine the nightmares coming for the poor folks on Nolensville road.  I wouldn't get in a bike lane on Nolensville road if I had 9 lives, but that's just me. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Jarno6006 said:

I think we agree on bikes.  I worked downtown for years and have driven Uber part-time for years.  During that time I don't recall every seeing a bike  on one of the core business district  bike lanes and maybe 5 or 6 on any bike lane.     Take 12th Ave for example.  I have yet to see a bike in that new bike lane with the huge concrete curb that seperate bike lane and road, but I have seen a pedestrian fall trying to cross them. 

That seems to reflect badly on the "If you build it they will come!" philosophy behind many of these projects.  It seems like we should get some valid data on how much the existing projects are actually being used before we build a lot more of them. 

• Thanks 3

I've lived in 12South/Belmont for nearly 12 years and walk it every nice afternoon, usually at rush hour. I see maybe 1-2 commuters on bikes a day. Recreational biker riders, yes, but not even a lot of those.  Many of the side streets are too narrow and our sidewalks to crappy in many areas for safe bike riding.  I see lots of walkers, even a few with groceries. I don't see many riders on my drives into (or back from) downtown along 12th and never have. No bias involved, just I don't see them and I'm certainly looking for them. Belmont and 10th have somewhat protected designated bike lanes, rarely used beyond recreational users. No bias, just stating what I see. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, nashvillain_too said:

Traffic engineers and politicians overbuild roads based on completely fabricated data all the time. 

I'm sure you're right about that but the point I'm trying to make is that before we commit to a widescale project we should really feel certain that what we finally build is going to be used and appreciated by the community.  Is there any small scale project that's already in place that you could point to as a success which demonstrates that we should be building more?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, BNAfan said:

Bike lanes are also a better solution for scooter riding. I have never understood why the revenue from scooter permits/fines/etc are not tied to bike lane construction.  

That's an interesting point that I hadn't thought of.  Scooters are all over the place downtown but it doesn't seem like many of the people who ride them know what they're doing and I've had to dodge them many times on the sidewalks where they're not even supposed to be.  This is a phenomenon that's happening all over the world and it looks like it's here to stay so it would make sense to try to take some steps to increase safety and somehow integrate them into the rest of the traffic.  You also see them parked everywhere where tourists have apparently left them so you've rentals as well as locals who own them to get around and then bring them home.  I know my realtor has one and uses it quite a bit.  I never see bicycles downtown except for a few along the river but that's about it.  I'm glad you brought that up because it changes the whole conversation!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BNAfan said:

I can provided my own anecdotal evidence to the contrary.  I drive through there every weekday 7:30-8:00.  I see several commuters on bikes, including 4 this morning when it was 30 degrees.  There are also daily commuters on bikes on Belmont and on the Music Row corridors. E-bikes have really made a difference, as well, in the number of  commuters.

Bike lanes are also a better solution for scooter riding. I have never understood why the revenue from scooter permits/fines/etc are not tied to bike lane construction.  

So if my math is right, 4 bikers equals roughly 2 cars.  Would anybody have voted to build that elaborate bike lane system to eliminate two cars during probably the busiest half hour of the day?  I just wonder if the people in some neighborhoods who have paid city taxes for decades and still don't have sidewalks would have favored it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1