Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Owned by Dominion…was once on the market for sale…not sure of the status now other than just an ugly empty lot smack dab downtown. PRIME location for something big and signature, for sure. It was going to be a twin tower to the existing tower, but COVID changed the need for office space. So, now it just sits there. 

Can they at least move the barricade and open the sidewalk back up? When I lived in Lexington, KY ...there was a downtown project that stalled out for a while and the city made the owner fill the hole and sod the lot. The building was built eventually, but it was nice to have the green space in the meantime.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

Can they at least move the barricade and open the sidewalk back up? When I lived in Lexington, KY ...there was a downtown project that stalled out for a while and the city made the owner fill the hole and sod the lot. The building was built eventually, but it was nice to have the green space in the meantime.

that is what the construction worker told me they are building sidewalks around the block.  (and I know of that grassy plot in downtown Lexington) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, what’s going on at the Dominion block downtown?  Is this just Dominion acting like it’s going to build something there to justify the barriers surrounding it?

image.thumb.jpeg.91c9af9a2a698b56b2fc3a6dcc4d069d.jpeg

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

I keep hoping we'll see the silver lining in this persistent stratus or stratonimbus cloud than hangs over this part of downtown RVA sooner rather than later. I still can't help but believe that if an out-of-town developer with pockets even deeper than Avery Hall or Crescent or (fill in the blank of the country's biggest developers) were to swoop in with an open checkbook and plunk down Avery Hall-esque money on a plot of land assessed (according to @RVABizSenseMike's reporting) at $10 million (and recall Avery Hall dropped more than $17 million on the Manchester riverfront parcel that was assessed at nowhere NEAR that value) that Dominion would sell in a New York minute. My guess is that -- given interest rates where they are -- and the relative lack of demand in downtown RVA, it's going to be a hot minute before any fish actually bite.

Who knows... perhaps once CoStar's campus is complete and open for business and the riverfront amphitheater is up and running - and if interest rates start to pull back and we see projects such as Tom Papa's Locks 7 & 8 rise on the canal a few blocks to the east - we'll see the demand for downtown RVA property start to increase.

Of course, if the Greater Richmond Partnership could land a few of those "big fish" prospects they've been saying they're courting - and somehow get them to come downtown, then maybe that would move the needle or tip the scales or (insert cliche of choice). SOMETHING has to give here at some point. I just can't for the life of me believe that downtown RVA could be seen as SO undesirable a place to set up shop. I'm hoping that CoStar in particular will be enough of a catalyst to jumpstart a resurrection of the Central Business District.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Something like this needs to be built on the Dominion empty lot…or in Monroe Ward near the Dominion Energy tower:

IMG_7535.webp

Hmmm... maybe ours could be built a foot or two TALLER than this one in OKC -- maybe 1,910 feet tall -- just so long as it's in "normal" feet, and not in CoStar FeetTM.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1