Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

Been watching all morning long. I wish the webcam was live. I love to watch how they put these towers together - it's pretty amazing. This one will be taller than the north crane (it's even thicker and looks more robust). Should see some actual building going on in the new few days. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

Can't these cranes also raise themselves as the building increases in height?

Yep!  It's really an ingenious contraption. Amazing that they don't tip over all the time. I'd be scared to death if I were an operator. Those guys have to climb a ladder to get to the top!  Just crazy to me!

I think the thunderstorms in the area will cut the crane assembly short.  They may have to work into the night or try again tomorrow. 

Edited by eandslee

58 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

thanks for the picture - that's tall - awesome....  the webcam says this - hope that changes soon! 

Page Not Found

The page that you have requested does not exist. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization or go back to our home page.

I know, I broke the camera apparently. 

Thanks also for the picture. This pic gives great perspective. They will have to make the crane taller as the building increases in height since this building will be taller than the Fed Reserve.  Maybe they might sneak in a few floors more to make this building even taller. Who knows...I hope that happens.

4 hours ago, benstyree said:

Taken a few minutes ago. Also noticed last night the cranes now have lights across the booms and the taller one has the Hourigan/Clayco logos lit up. Looks pretty sharp. 

20170301_084205.jpg

I will have to check for the logos tonight.  One thing that amazed me in Australia and New Zealand was how all of the cranes had bright logos across the boom.  With the amount of construction out there it is a beautiful sight!

On 3/1/2017 at 9:44 PM, Asace88 said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this yet but it looks like there is a new link for the webcam.  If you look at Clayco's website and find the "Webcams" page you will see that it is the same camera but it has a different title now.

https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/hourigan/dominionworkplace/workzonecam

Anyone else still having a problem with this link?  I do not seem to be getting a video feed or any indication that there is one.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been quiet on here for about a month, which reflects the apparent lack of action on the camera.

I was wondering if someone who knows more about construction sites could give an update.  Ever since the taller crane has gone up, it mostly looks like they've just moved dirt around (not even dug deeper or anything).  Does anyone have a sense of when we'll start to see vertical floors being added?

Also why is there an enormous pit on the parking garage side of the lot but not the tower side?

Please pardon my ignorance if these are really obvious questions--I really know almost nothing about construction.

2 hours ago, Toni said:

It's been quiet on here for about a month, which reflects the apparent lack of action on the camera.

I was wondering if someone who knows more about construction sites could give an update.  Ever since the taller crane has gone up, it mostly looks like they've just moved dirt around (not even dug deeper or anything).  Does anyone have a sense of when we'll start to see vertical floors being added?

Also why is there an enormous pit on the parking garage side of the lot but not the tower side?

Please pardon my ignorance if these are really obvious questions--I really know almost nothing about construction.

I suspect that, due to the elevator placement (the smaller pit tower side), that they were unable to work parking under the tower so all of the below grade parking is on the northern end of the block.  You can see where they cut out access to the elevator shafts / stairwells.  Given the incline, not much would have been gained on the southern side anyway.  I am curious as to where the parking deck access points will be located.

Completion is now expected in late 2018. Which means in alittle over a year, we will see exactly how this looks in the skyline. The timeline seems to have been moved up so they must really be needing the extra space or they just can't wait to move in! Either is a good thing.

http://www.pdrcorp.com/in-the-news/2016/12/15/the-richmond-changing-skyline-is-secondary