Brooklyn Village Redevelopment in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

35 minutes ago, asthasr said:

I don't understand where the love for Marshall Park suddenly came from. It always seems underused and unloved when I drive by it. It looks like the landscaping in Ballantyne.

I agree.  It seems as though every time I ride by, the tumbleweeds in the park outnumber the humans 10-1. I'd be interested to know when the last time some of these individuals on the CC set foot in Marshall Park.  It's a relic of Urban Renewal...let it go.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

People are scared of change. It's as simple as that. However, the argument for having a larger park is pretty valid. I wish the truly open space would have had a minimum set forth in their requirements. Perhaps along the lines of 2.5 contiguous acres. This will be a great addition to uptown in the future and I am excited to see it unfold!

I don't know how many watched the meeting but I watched a good bit and skimmed a little. It's a little disheartening how it seems many of the county commissioners were fairly unaware of the entire procedure and the details of the project. That is somewhat understandable considering the sheer volume of details and how most of them probably had staff doing the groundwork. The meeting seemed very productive overall.

Dioro did a good job of addressing some valid complaints. Some important things I think that should be noted is how they are genuinely taking community outreach into account with this project and they are heavily noting that there is a very strong support for more green space. However, it's unreasonable to think that a full 5 acres will be reserved for a park when the whole tract of land is only 16 acres. As Dioro said, they want to make this as beneficial for the future residents of Brooklyn Village as possible while being equitable for the developer and allowing them to maintain a healthy profit considering that's the reason they are placing the bids, which is perfectly reasonable. 

Sometimes people allow emotions to trump logic and they need to look at the big picture. Conformity does a good job of looking at the big picture and it should be noted that they were by far the most committed toand passionate to this project out of the 3. They defended their plan well in the interview and actually stuck to their guns for what they have on paper in a positive way.

Some details about the plan:

• BK Partners was ratified in a 5-3 vote.
  • 17 acres total with 1.9 acres of "open space"
  • Losing 5 acre Marshal Park
  • The city manager's staff will be allowed to continue to negotiate for increased green space down the road
  • Land bought for 50.18 million.
  • Developer plans to spend 683.3 million on the project.
  • Project split into two areas: north and south connected by a walkway called Myers Passage
  • 10% reserved affordable housing which is determined at 30% of the yearly income for 80% of the median income. Approx 1200-1300 per month for a 4 person family.
  • 1070 housing unite (107 affordable)
  • 680k sq ft office
  • 250k retail
  • 280 hotel rooms split between two InterContinental Hotels Group hotels
  • a "cultural space" whatever that means
  • This is odd in my opinion and certainly different but they're committing to 35% minority and women owned business contracting opportunities within the development
  • The first phase to be finished by 2021 and completed organically.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick2 said:
  • This is odd in my opinion and certainly different but they're committing to 35% minority and women owned business contracting opportunities within the development

"The county said The Peebles Corp. is the nation’s largest minority-owned real estate developer."

That is really cool, especially for this project.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

"The county said The Peebles Corp. is the nation’s largest minority-owned real estate developer."

That is really cool, especially for this project.

That's correct.  The former Director of Development and General Counsel for The Peebles Corp. are friends of mine.

4 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Wait, why is BK Partners two separate areas? When all the other ones have the full site developed?

The other Development groups were working under the assumption they could purchase and redevelop that land as well. Most of that land is not actually available. In fact, a good portion probably wouldn't even take a "offer you can't refuse."

This is complete speculation on my part, But in the rendering below it almost looks like the building on the left will be an Even Hotels. I only say this because they mentioned IHG having two hotels, and it has the same color scheme as the Evens brand. 

http://www.evenhotels.com/hotels/us/en/reservation?dp=true&_PMID=99629062&siclientid=9803&sessguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&userguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&permguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&sitrackingid=658833885&glat=SEAR&sicreative=102910241545&sitrackingid=658833885

bk-brooklyn-5.jpg

7 minutes ago, michaelef said:

This is complete speculation on my part, But in the rendering below it almost looks like the building on the left will be an Even Hotels. I only say this because they mentioned IHG having two hotels, and it has the same color scheme as the Evens brand. 

http://www.evenhotels.com/hotels/us/en/reservation?dp=true&_PMID=99629062&siclientid=9803&sessguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&userguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&permguid=293c1f13-95e4-4b60-b821-cba11e94c659&sitrackingid=658833885&glat=SEAR&sicreative=102910241545&sitrackingid=658833885

bk-brooklyn-5.jpg

No need to speculate. The 2 brands will be: EVEN and Staybridge Suites. It's in the LOI IHG gave to BK (so many acronyms) 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 4

i guess we shouldn't complain but 8k of retail with that big plaza seems like a letdown. I can't really tell what is beyond the deck access on Stonewall. The building architectural is pretty cool - I like the lack of blue glass curtain wall

Should also point out this is an awful street presence being placed along an area that is already in bad shape from a street view. As people rightly complained on this board several years ago, South & Stonewall is a heinous intersection from any kind of urban planning standpoint. You have to cross nine lanes of traffic on the south side of Stonewall. NASCAR plaza has a little plaza on the corner that a food truck will sometimes set up in, but that's it. 

If built per the rendering, this will eliminate any chance of that intersection becoming urban - it will be a suburban collection of towers plopped down between southend and uptown

I really like the building design, but I don't understand the parking entrance on Stonewall at all. To me they, shouldn't stick that in the middle of the development on a busy street like that. It just screams someone getting run over. God knows we have enough of that already in uptown. I'm sure someone in urban design can maybe better know why they made that decision than me.

Edited by HopHead

So let me ask this. Given the traffic patterns of the area, what SHOULD they do? Seems to me like the only things you guys want is pie in the sky?

There's gonna be egress off stonewall. It's just GOING to happen. Non negotiable. 

8k is not enough retail. No doubt. I concede there. 

But there is plaza space, giant glass windows to engage the restaurant to the sidewalk. Medians. Hard scaping. Just not sure what else you could possibly do given the challenges of this site. Perhaps I could be swayed but just saying the street presence is awful without giving any realistic alternatives isnt helpful lol