New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, that's pretty big.  Did you get this off of Alpine Twp's site? 

Yes. It'll be interesting to see if it can get entitled, it's going to be an uphill battle. It's 592 units, lots 65-90', duplexes, villas, 'courtyard-style' homes, and front and rear-loaded townhomes. Pool, clubhouse (restored/renovated), pickleball courts, nature path, 'wet' ponds, dog park. Reminiscent of Bailey's Grove, Lowing Woods, Hathaway Lakes, etc... Developer allegedly already purchased 1/2 the golf course so something will probably happen.

34 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I dont get how this type of awful-looking suburban mess is still being built.

I think it's better than a straight zone. The varied home types allow people from all walks of life to purchase a home. Ubiquitous 90' lots are worse imo. Plus at least it looks like they're trying by including amenities... definitely not ideal but this is what's needed to help supply keep up. What style developments do you want to see more of?

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I dont get how this type of awful-looking suburban mess is still being built.

Aren't we clamoring for new housing?  It's not my cup of tea, but my first thought was "oh good, a really dense suburban neighborhood". I personally don't think we have enough these (especially built in the last 10-14 years).

Joe

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Aren't we clamoring for new housing?  It's not my cup of tea, but my first thought was "oh good, a really dense suburban neighborhood". I personally don't think we have enough these (especially built in the last 10-14 years).

Joe

It isnt about the houses, it's this silly cul-de-sac infused layout with some streets that dont connect despite being yards apart.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

It isnt about the houses, it's this silly cul-de-sac infused layout with some streets that dont connect despite being yards apart.

I count 5 cul-de-sacs and see connecting sidewalks between each. I don't think that's a bad ratio because intersections increase costs and reduce lot yield. A balance makes the most sense.

6 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I count one cul-de-sac...   I'm not a fan of that kind of density with my kids all grown, but I've lived in hoods like that and they were great with little kids (everyone looked out for each other's kids). Gridded streets just encourage speeding, which is why you have umpteen "speed humps" all over GR now. 

I know we're all "urbanists" by nature here, but developments like this are happening all over the country. How would you get 500+ new single family homes in the city? 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, CalderCity946 said:

Yes. It'll be interesting to see if it can get entitled, it's going to be an uphill battle. It's 592 units, lots 65-90', duplexes, villas, 'courtyard-style' homes, and front and rear-loaded townhomes. Pool, clubhouse (restored/renovated), pickleball courts, nature path, 'wet' ponds, dog park. Reminiscent of Bailey's Grove, Lowing Woods, Hathaway Lakes, etc... Developer allegedly already purchased 1/2 the golf course so something will probably happen.

I just read through the minutes from the planning commission on this development.  Interestingly, the developer is JTB (formerly Jim Tibbe) who just did a really big development in Rockford area that went through battles with the community around it (lawsuits, traffic studies, etc).  So I would bet they are anticipating and prepared for similar and have done their homework on Alpine Twp zoning, etc.  It will be really interesting to watch this one.  I’m personally very interested in how they manage Indian Mill creek there.  Trout Unlimited and others have been working on and advocating for managing its health much more intentionally…

• Like 2

On 1/30/2022 at 9:10 AM, GRDadof3 said:

There is a lot of parking planned (and required apparently)

Fulton st apartments site plan.jpg

Fulton St apartments.jpg

Here's a new rendering of this project, and some more deets:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2022/03/four-story-building-on-grand-rapids-west-side-will-house-construction-firm-headquarters-marijuana-dispensary.html

FLNZIEOGQJDJVF3AVKCB77Q5BY.png

6 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I saw that as well. That'll never go away if that indeed comes to be. Bleh. 

They apparently paid $1.8 Million for the building and land. With how big that property is, they certainly don't need it all for parking for a party store. Would be cooler to see them do a mixed use with the convenience store on the ground floor. And they'd still have room to spare for parking. 

JTB? Hmm, sounds familiar. :shades:

I looked at a house about 6 months ago that sat on the golf course. Really unique house and property, but I was really concerned how it may affect the house / property. Unfortunately (for the person that bought it), the house sits about 15 feet from what was a fairway, but will now be a wall of townhouses. That's got to hurt a bit.

Still glad to see a big development going in somewhere. They're few and far between these days.

Joe

• Like 1

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

JTB? Hmm, sounds familiar. :shades:

I looked at a house about 6 months ago that sat on the golf course. Really unique house and property, but I was really concerned how it may affect the house / property. Unfortunately (for the person that bought it), the house sits about 15 feet from what was a fairway, but will now be a wall of townhouses. That's got to hurt a bit.

Still glad to see a big development going in somewhere. They're few and far between these days.

Joe

Where was this Joe? I can't think of a golf course turned townhouses? 

I just read an article that golf memberships skyrocketed during the pandemic in many parts of the country. But it created a big divide between clubs doing massive renovations and golf clubs that are either close to shutting their doors or already shut. 

On 3/19/2022 at 8:28 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I just read an article that golf memberships skyrocketed during the pandemic in many parts of the country. But it created a big divide between clubs doing massive renovations and golf clubs that are either close to shutting their doors or already shut. 

The one along 96 south of 28th? Some holes can still be seen from the expressway, though not manicured.

I heard there may possibly be another infill project along Leonard.  Four stories, mixed use!  So now we have the warehouse at 930 Leonard (which looks great and almost completed), Peoples Cider building at 555 Leonard, Victory Apartments at the old YMCA (foundation work started), the new event facility at the old West Leonard Elementary, and a couple of new dispensaries.   

It also looks like 662 is being renovated.   

Any word on the Genesis project?  Did this die? 

As someone who lives near this corridor, it’s exciting to see all the positive changes in the area, hopefully this spreads to Alpine from Leonard to the city limits! 

On 3/19/2022 at 8:28 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Sorry for the delay. It was Gracewil. There was a cool house advertised as sitting on the golf course. I don't know if these ARE townhouses, but looks like it in the rendering. The house we were looking at is highlighted in green. It looks like one corner of the house sits about 10 feet from the property line (which was probably great when it was a fairway). 

And here's the Zillow listing for the house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2529-Four-Mile-Rd-NW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49544/23755334_zpid/

Çould suck to be the new owners if they were looking for a nice view. ;)

gracewell.png

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Sorry for the delay. It was Gracewil. There was a cool house advertised as sitting on the golf course. I don't know if these ARE townhouses, but looks like it in the rendering. The house we were looking at is highlighted in green. It looks like one corner of the house sits about 10 feet from the property line (which was probably great when it was a fairway). 

And here's the Zillow listing for the house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2529-Four-Mile-Rd-NW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49544/23755334_zpid/

Çould suck to be the new owners if they were looking for a nice view. ;)

gracewell.png

From someone who sells real estate for a living, if you're buying a house with a big open field behind it, you should just assume there will be homes there some day (and maybe someday soon).  Unless you're wait out in the hinterlands with no water and sewer, then you might be safe for a while. 

• Like 1