Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

that 21+ story building will look underwhelming in that large intersection. Hate to beat on a dead horse, but that corner deserves something more grand and exclusive than a building where you might see beach towels on balconies and drunks at the pool. I wish they could have at least orientate so that the pool is not facing the intersection.

2 hours ago, tennis32801 said:

that 21+ story building will look underwhelming in that large intersection. Hate to beat on a dead horse, but that corner deserves something more grand and exclusive than a building where you might see beach towels on balconies and drunks at the pool. I wish they could have at least orientate so that the pool is not facing the intersection.

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Plus there's the fact that a 21 story residential building is shorter than a 21 story office building, so it will actually only be about as tall as the Wells Fargo building which is like, 17 stories.

15 hours ago, castorvx said:

While I may agree with you, it is a MASSIVE improvement over the current surface lot and horrible purple building.

This is a win for downtown and for that intersection.

Still crossing my fingers for Tremont. If we get Tremont, Modera and Citi all vertical at once, I will be a happy camper.

Totally agreed that its 100% better than a parking lot, but its a bit sad that Orlando developments are being compared to a parking lot. Hope the final product will be better than what Im envisioning. And agreed, hope this construction jump start other pending projects.

5 hours ago, GTR said:

The city majorly screwed up by not paving the left side of Pine Street at Rosalind before allowing Modera to block half of it off. Massive potholes down the whole stretch. Anyone with a brain work there?

Why in the world would they repave Pine right before it becomes a major construction zone? 

They'll take care of it afterward when the project is completed and the streetscaping is done.

2 hours ago, tennis32801 said:

Totally agreed that its 100% better than a parking lot, but its a bit sad that Orlando developments are being compared to a parking lot. Hope the final product will be better than what Im envisioning. And agreed, hope this construction jump start other pending projects.

This is now on par with the Modera in Atlanta (it always was though, it was the rendering that was poor quality). 

Yes, bad for Orlando as far as paved roads in the city go. And our roads are maintained if they are paved. But if they're brick, they I find very few brick roads in the city proper that aren't utterly horrible.

There were cones over the pot holes tonight. But that just made the road even more narrow. 

Not a huge deal either way.

The brick roads are bumpy on purpose. Helps keep people from driving like idiots through residential areas. They actually use two different sized bricks. Some are about a quarter of an inch wider on one side, making them stick up a little higher. They get randomly placed amongst the others which creates the uneven surface.

I lived downtown in Thornton Park for 15 years. Been down just about every downtown street brick or otherwise, you can think of. Live about 2 miles from there now and drive around that area fairly often, so I know about those issues. Take a drive along the short brick paved section of E. Kaley just west of Ferncreek some time. It's terrible.

The problem is that some of Orlando's brick streets haven't been stripped, leveled and repaved in decades. The ones that have don't have the issues you're talking about. 

But of course, that costs money, so they only do it when they're ready to replace the underground utilities and bury cables, etc. I suppose they figure the rougher the roads, the slower people drive which cuts down on accidents even more.

Good a reason as any, I guess.

On September 3, 2016 at 5:45 PM, prahaboheme said:

I lived on a street in Boston much more severe than Pine. It's not that bad. Reality is, Orlandoeans expect more because their roads are maintained. 

For now -- deal with it or find an alternate route.

Orlando is a 10th of the size of Boston. Only a tard would hold the two to the same standards. It was piss poor planning as usual.

Classy or not the point is true. It's absolutey mindblowingly stupid how people constantly point to issues cities 10 to 20 times the size of Orlando face in an effort to try and rebut valid criticisms. It's the epitome of apples to oranges. The stupidiest one has to be "you think traffic is bad in Orlando, try living in LA", but how roads are maintained up in Boston is pretty close to being up there. I'm waiting for someone to make the Chicago comparison for our growing crime rates here.

It's not really apples and oranges. Maybe apples to bigger apples, but we're still talking apples here. Commute time can be measured in per capita travel minutes, for example, which is objective regardless of community size. I have made the comparison to LA in the past and its a valid one, because while the population of LA is much greater, it also covers a much greater area and so it's not so much one city as it is multiple cities abutting one another. They can be compared objectively if you're thoughtful about it (that may require some actual effort, though, can't help you there).

As for the roads, they can be compared as well, but it is correct to say that you should compare roads in similar climates as they are subject to different difficulties. So, I agree that the pothole-ridden frozen northern wastes shouldn't necessarily be used an excuse for Orlando having potholes.

Anyway, I've said this before and I'll say it again, you should consider delivering your opinions without the layer of anger and bitterness. You may have good points and useful information from time-to-time, but if you deliver it wrapped in a blanket of hatred and thinly veiled insults you're just going to get ignored by everyone and just generally disliked.

I've never met a person who is bitter and angry all the time that actually does things to fix the world around them. Fixing problems and building futures requires a fair bit of optimism. I say this as a person who has at times been the bitter and angry person the room. I rarely achieved anything by being that way.

Lighten up man

• Like 1

Best not to waste your time with lengthy posts giving me advice about my attitude because as a general rule of thumb I don't listen to tidbits about self betterment from people on an internet forum about downtown development. If I'm disliked by all three dozen people that post on here, especially the ones with financial ties to certain of these projects that go out of their way to polish a turd they are involved in and like every post criticizing my posts, I think I can still sleep at night. Comfortably.

And there is no amount of effort that can make the comparison between our traffic and traffic in LA anything but a nonsensical deflection. Plenty of other cities to choose from that are actually logical. 

Edited by GTR

Climate had nothing to do with the point was making. It was a point regarding tolerance for road maintaince and a comparison to a city with significantly worse roads and how people in said city deal with it. 

As far as I'm concerned, your point about potholes on Pine is much ado about nothing, having lived somewhere in which the quality of roads is notoriously brutal. And if conceptually you cannot understand this because Boston is a northern city, then check out our friend to the west, Tampa. Their roads aren't winning any awards either.

Hardly apples to oranges.