>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

One of my pet peeves appears to be going away!

I was walking down Washington between the Federal Buildings (east end of Kennedy Plaza) and saw that concrete filled metal posts, closely spaced were being put into the sidewalk along the post office side (and the sidewalk was dug up on the courthouse side). A new security barrier, I believe the jersey barriers are going away. :)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree! those jersey barrier were/are so nasty.

I was walking down Washington between the Federal Buildings (east end of Kennedy Plaza) and saw that concrete filled metal posts, closely spaced were being put into the sidewalk along the post office side (and the sidewalk was dug up on the courthouse side). A new security barrier, I believe the jersey barriers are going away. :)

I noticed that too - looks like they are putting up stainless steel or alloy cylinders along both sides of that road. Hopefully they'll finish by X-mas...

Today I brought my car to Pep Boys and rode the RIPTA for the 1st time in years. Rather than waiting for it to get fixed, I hopped in the back of the bus and went around Downtown....there's a lot of work going on that I didn't even realize ...I did have some thoughts and a few questions. The sign on the old Kinko's says it will be a temporary move. I couldn't help thinking that one is desperately needed down there. The college kids from RISD 15W need to venture out a little down the street. There were kids crossing Memorial Blvd. but almost none walking up Westminster. What's up with the Arcade? I know it's become more a less a food court in the last few years, but I've never seen it that empty. Does J & W still own that ? It desperately needs a makeover...It was dirty and decrepit. The DID workers were out and about. Biggles was nice. The Lapham looks like its under construction. A lot of positive things were going on. There does need to be a concerted effort to get people from the mall down into the CBD. At the mall, Westin , and the convention center, there was absolutely nothing directing people that way. Also, way too saturated with coffee shops.... I didn't even realize there was a Dunkin Donuts across from the Arcade? And now a Tim Hortons? Give me a break. Garris, was that you taking pictures in front of the Dreyfuss hotel? Also, the Eagle needs to get rid of that tacky writing on the windows. That's the worst. The awning is tasteful, but the big letters are a bit much. Also, the signage down there is terrible. The sign @ Diesel on Washington commands attention and is scaled to fit the size of the building. Why can't the retailers put up signs that people will recognize if tey're not from here. I saw 2 women who drove around the block twice and stopped someone to ask @ Biggles....You can't create a shopping district without people being able to locate it or recognize it. The people that live in the lofts live in a CITY .....If they can't get used to lights at night, they should draw their shades like most everybody else....

I like what you said Virgo, because most of it is being taken care of or in the works to be taken care of.

I feel that the presence of the Waterplace condos, Gtech, and Westin II will make mall shoppers feel less secluded from downtown (It will for me and my mall friends). All 3 project will have some sort of street level retail or place to eat.

Not to mention that between Gtech's 500 employees, waterplace's 193 condos, and westin II's 100 condos and 200 additional hotel rooms, there will be an average of about 1000 people added to that immediate area. (given the fluctuation of hotel room vancancies and how many people live in each condo. Further past the mall we will have the Amex building temporarily filled next year at some point with a ? mark for number of employees and the Masonic Ren. Hotel being completed by summer 06' we hope :P with 272 rooms.

So as far as bringing in mall shoppers to downcity... filling those empty lots with 3 very nice buildings, 1000 people on avg., retail, and a more cosmopolitan city feel to the area is what will do it.

Ari posted that he was working with some company on signage improvements (and lighting?) for Westminster.. and maybe it was for the entire downcity core??.. but Ari has great judgement ;), so I think we will all be pleased with the improvements he will bring.

Westminster will probably need to hang on for about a year or two (Waterplace condos, Gtech, and Westin II) until we get more people living downcity. Grant's block and 110 Westminster (opening early 08')will add a crucial amount of residents to that immediate area, and should put the entire shopping district in a healthy position.

By that point, we hope to have one way streets turned into two-ways, some serious infrastructure improvements (emmett sqaure, and other areas)

you all know what else is going on around Providence... so no need to mention it.. but as far as what Virgo mentioned.. I'd say its pretty much on its way to being taken care of??

The people that live in the lofts live in a CITY .....If they can't get used to lights at night, they should draw their shades like most everybody else....

I don't think that is fair to say. You can't demand premium rent downtown then decrees the quality of life by subjecting residents to bright neon lights such as you depict. If you think pulling shades blocks out bright light then you are very wrong.

Consider if a gas station opened next to you and blasted your house with bright light 24/7, its not pleasant in a city or elsewhere.

I don't think that is fair to say. You can't demand premium rent downtown then decrees the quality of life by subjecting residents to bright neon lights such as you depict. If you think pulling shades blocks out bright light then you are very wrong.

Consider if a gas station opened next to you and blasted your house with bright light 24/7, its not pleasant in a city or elsewhere.

That's the price of living in the city. If they don't like it, they should move to where it's quiet and dark...in the "country".If a gas station opened up with blaring lights next to me, I guess I would have to deal with it. I choose to live in Providence, and if I didn't want to deal with that, I could always move to Bristol where the rest of my family has moved. They grew tired of Providence....and wanted a quiet life without bulls@@t , ignorant neighbors, third-world conditions, and loud people. I choose to live here because city life is enticing. I don't mind hearing fire engines and squad cars. I like the fact that I can walk to downcity and PP mall. I also like the fact that I got Dominican, Puerto Rican, Japanese,and Jewish neighbors....and I have to deal with "city" things like bulls$%t, neighbors, and people that don't speak English.

The fact of the matter is that they would be adding the lights after people already have been living in these locations. Still.. just becasue its a city I do not find it expectable to blast highend housing with extreme bright lights and Frank just becasue I live downtown I do not expect to have bright signs turing my loft into the middle of the sun. I havent moved next to an airport becasue this situation of bright lights does not currently apply.

People move to the better parts of town because they can maintain better quality of life than areas that aren't as well kept. Just becasue I live downcity does not mean I should be subjected to every poor condition you can think of.

Frankly, we're not talking "Times Square" here... There should be a multitude of ways to do better retail signage and lighting of it without impacting the quality of life of residents there. In my experience living in NYC, it takes a LOT of light to disturb you at night... For example, one building I lived in had the facade highlights lit at night (like what 15 West did with Waterfire one night) and I can tell you it wasn't noticable from inside at all. I doubt that lighting of banners or vertical signs on Westminster will bother anyone if the Christmas lights already don't...

- Garris

Frankly, we're not talking "Times Square" here... There should be a multitude of ways to do better retail signage and lighting of it without impacting the quality of life of residents there. In my experience living in NYC, it takes a LOT of light to disturb you at night... For example, one building I lived in had the facade highlights lit at night (like what 15 West did with Waterfire one night) and I can tell you it wasn't noticable from inside at all. I doubt that lighting of banners or vertical signs on Westminster will bother anyone if the Christmas lights already don't...

- Garris

Exactly....people in R.I. are a little ridiculous. They want a better airport, but vehemently protest extending the runway.They want a vibrant downcity, but have to object to things like signage, density, and parking....and then they want to plant big magnolia trees along 95. Westminster Street needs a little light and color to get people to visit there that never have. It looks like an alley and many people get a perception that it's not safe.

It looks like an alley and many people get a perception that it's not safe.

It's funny you mention that it looks like an alley... I met some people downtown recently and when I asked where they parked, they said, "Oh, in that alley over there." I said, "Oh, that's not an alley, that's Westminster Street! It's just very narrow."

I think that's the purpose of the cheesy christmas lights strung across the top of the street... To bring people in. I wonder if a Federal Hill style arch off Dorrance spanning the two buildings at the entrance of Westminster would help?

Lets help Ari et al brainstorm this... What would better announce to visitors (and locals) when they are on Memorial Drive or Dorrance that a vibrant retail/residential community lurks within?

- Garris

hen I worked on the Downcity Charrette in '94' I made the partially joking suggestion that they should put up twinkle lights,, because people wouldn't think they were going to get mugged if there were twinkle lights about (it was fairly scarly looking then). The lights that were put up are more like Italian street festival, but without the sausage. I thought the lights could outline the windows and cornices. I talked with Ari the other day about using small halogen lights to wash the side of the buildings at night, especially the cornices because they would help provide an edge to the 'roof'' fo the street.

Other wacky ideas I drew at the charrette was a giant neon hand with a pointing finger at Dorrance and Westminster and soomething like the arch in Federal Hill (actually Providence might have had something like that- many cities had an arch that went diagonally from each corner, and there was a triumphal arch built at some point).

Westminster, even tho it has fabulous architecture, IS really too narrow for a good retail street, and is not very permeable.

It's funny you mention that it looks like an alley... I met some people downtown recently and when I asked where they parked, they said, "Oh, in that alley over there." I said, "Oh, that's not an alley, that's Westminster Street! It's just very narrow."

I think that's the purpose of the cheesy christmas lights strung across the top of the street... To bring people in. I wonder if a Federal Hill style arch off Dorrance spanning the two buildings at the entrance of Westminster would help?

Lets help Ari et al brainstorm this... What would better announce to visitors (and locals) when they are on Memorial Drive or Dorrance that a vibrant retail/residential community lurks within?

- Garris

The Sacramanto Mall is separated from downtown Sac. by route I-5. On the downtown side is a small 8 block historic area (Old Town) of what remains of old Sac. with western bars, wooden sidewalks and other tourist traps. There is also the State of Calif. Railroad museum. The mall and downtown area are connected by a tunnel under I-5 similar to what goes under Memorial Blvd. The only sign is a large sign "Visit Old Town" the historic West!

I have felt that there needs to be signs encouraging visitors to "Victorian Downcity Providence" now a place to shop and live. I consider this theme because so many of the buildings were built just after the turn of the 20th century and still remain. Like our historic mile (Benefit Street) the downcity historic area needs to be promoted as such. The RIPTA trolleys could do service just within these downcity limits (get them off the crosstown routes) and maybe even be free!

Just a thought.

Mark

Westminster, even tho it has fabulous architecture, IS really too narrow for a good retail street, and is not very permeable.

If you are over 45 you can remember when Westminister Street had a retail volume only outdone by downtown Boston in New England. In the mid 50's (man am I dating myself) I can remember taking the train from East Greenwich to Providence on Saturdays for our shopping excursions. By the end of the 50's the commuter trains were gone and we had moved back to the East side.

Mark

If you are over 45 you can remember when Westminister Street had a retail volume only outdone by downtown Boston in New England. In the mid 50's (man am I dating myself) I can remember taking the train from East Greenwich to Providence on Saturdays for our shopping excursions. By the end of the 50's the commuter trains were gone and we had moved back to the East side.

Mark

I did grow up in the Providence Metro 40 years ago and do remember the absolute vibrant, retail Downtown...sights and sounds, the crush of pedestrians, bus, and cab. The holiday period was outstanding - the city life was everywhere; things classic movies are made of.

The city must (not should) to do everything it can to encourage easy retail parking, a heavy police presence, and trolley transportation SPECIFICALLY for the Financial-Retail-Arts/Entertainment districts.

Westminster retail will boom IF the One Ten Westminster, Lofts, and Grant's Block projects are supported with a real urban revival effort by the city. Then the suburban population wil be drawn in again as they see it as 1) safe and friendly, 2) convienent, and 3) fun/exciting.

Archived