>> Providence Downtown Area

CtownMikey

I'm in the process of trying to get the lights over Westminster St taken down. Now that half of them are burnt out I don't think it's sending a very nice message. I'm aiming to get xmas lights strewn through all the street trees, which would look very nice for the rest of the winter, in my opinion.

-A

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. I'd be rather sad to see them go. I think they really add a lot to the feel of the street at night.

Of course, they did look better when they were all working.

I'm in the process of trying to get the lights over Westminster St taken down. Now that half of them are burnt out I don't think it's sending a very nice message. I'm aiming to get xmas lights strewn through all the street trees, which would look very nice for the rest of the winter, in my opinion.

-A

I'm in the process of trying to get the lights over Westminster St taken down. Now that half of them are burnt out I don't think it's sending a very nice message.

-A

I'd like to see better lightning on this street period. It's one of the most darkest and spookiest downcity.

Not really sure where this fits, but for those NFL fans out there, Sport Illustrated columnist Peter King wrote a blurb about Providence in his Monday Morning Quarterback article for CNNSI.com. He stayed here while covering the Patriots playoff game on Saturday night.

"Those gouging fools at the Providence Westin have really gone and done it now. They are doing everything in their power to steer me to the Biltmore across the street, which I'd have already done if not for the Starwood points. Remember last month when I told you about the $6 health club charge at the Westin? It's one of the very few places on my hotel list that charges for using the health club. In fact, I haven't had a single health club charge from another hotel all season.

The new year has rung in a new tune on the Providence Westin cash registers. It's now $10 to use the health club.

I hope 10 people read this and say: I'm not paying that absurd fee to run on a treadmill for a half hour. And I hope they book their stay elsewhere in downtown Providence. Which, by the way, is one of the underrated cities in America.

The trip north also featured an educational column by Jan Gregory in the sports section of Sunday's Providence Journal. "Dog Notes,'' by Jan, was headlined: "New baby coming? Here's how to get Spot ready for the big event.''

Did you know that the K9 Connection in Warwick, R.I., is holding Post Grad For Pups classes beginning tonight at 7? Jan reports that puppy manners will be on the agenda tonight."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ.../08/mmqb/2.html

During this mornings Ch 10 news show they mentioned during their flashback segment that 23 yrs ago when the Old Stone tower was being built (recently purchased by Brown) it was originally proposed to be a twin tower project. So what happened!? Why, oppostion from College Hill residents, of course. A law suit was even involved. I'd like to see a rendering from that complex.

During this mornings Ch 10 news show they mentioned during their flashback segment that 23 yrs ago when the Old Stone tower was being built (recently purchased by Brown) it was originally proposed to be a twin tower project. So what happened!? Why, oppostion from College Hill residents, of course. A law suit was even involved. I'd like to see a rendering from that complex.

Yes, they wanted to build on both the present lot and the one next to it where the park is. There was public outcry because building on the adjacent lot would have blocked the view of the old Old Stone bank, the Joseph Brown House and the Unitarian Church from downtown. (Which had only come into view in the 1950s with the demolition of the row of brick warehouse buildings that used to line the Providence River.)

Old Stone compromised by building on just the present site but in exchange they were able to avoid following some of the architectural guidelines that they were obliged to follow in the initial plan.

Yes, they wanted to build on both the present lot and the one next to it where the park is. There was public outcry because building on the adjacent lot would have blocked the view of the old Old Stone bank, the Joseph Brown House and the Unitarian Church from downtown. (Which had only come into view in the 1950s with the demolition of the row of brick warehouse buildings that used to line the Providence River.)

Old Stone compromised by building on just the present site but in exchange they were able to avoid following some of the architectural guidelines that they were obliged to follow in the initial plan.

Thanks. I wonder if the 2nd tower would have been of the same design.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this should go in the action alert, the local happenings, or here ... but I think the proposed TIF was dsicussed in this section, so ...

For those of you interested in and/or concerned about the TIF and the downtown/west side redevelopment plan, a workshop sponsored by the Mout Hope Neighborhood Association, RI Jobs for Justince, and others is being held tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. at 199 Camp Street to discuss the impacts on the city.

http://www.unionvoice.org/rijobswithjustic...tter_id=1546622

Interesting article on Lupo's/Diesel problems with the Providence Police. Seems like it will get resolved, buut who knows?

http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid3174.aspx

i think it'd be funny if diesel was forced out and lupo's had their own space again. one can hope right? :D

on a more serious note, the last paragraph makes some real sense... they should suspend liquor sales at 2 and allow the clubs to close at 3 or 4. fewer people drink during their last hour or so there anyways, it'd help filter people out. those who want to stay can stay. it'd not only help in the drunk driving, but it'd also help in the bottleneck.

one thing toad's place in new haven does (probably the most comparable place to lupo's or at least the old lupo's) is end their shows by 1, tell all the underage people they have to leave and allow the 21+ crowd to hang around and drink until 2 when they have to close.

Perhaps if the Providence Police actually did anything to enforce the drinking laws in this city, we wouldn't have 18 year olds being stabbed in the neck. I think PPD is way off base on this one. I'm encouraged that the Arts & Tourism Department sees Lupo's (if not Diesel) as an asset.

Perhaps if the Providence Police actually did anything to enforce the drinking laws in this city, we wouldn't have 18 year olds being stabbed in the neck. I think PPD is way off base on this one. I'm encouraged that the Arts & Tourism Department sees Lupo's (if not Diesel) as an asset.

The real problem with the clubs and underage drinking is that there are not enough options. When I first started the whole club thing we had many options, and what has happened since then is one after another, rightfully so, clubs have been push aside to make for the new condos or other developments.

As the younger crowd keeps getting pushed into one area the possibility of violence is only agitated. I

The real problem with the clubs and underage drinking is that there are not enough options. When I first started the whole club thing we had many options, and what has happened since then is one after another, rightfully so, clubs have been push aside to make for the new condos or other developments.

As the younger crowd keeps getting pushed into one area the possibility of violence is only agitated. I

IMO and I have been vocal in the past, but Providence has already lost its musical identity.

Lupo's is just about the only venue that national acts will come to. Ten years ago you had Lupo's, Babyhead, and The Strand all pulling bigger acts, and you had The Living Room, The Met Cafe, The Green Room, and several other little clubs with local acts.

All that remains is Lupo's and I guess the new Living Room. (which isn't even close to the same)

If you want to see live music of any kind, even just a bar band, you are basically limited to those places plus Olive's, Rira, and the Call.

It's pathetic, really.

IMO and I have been vocal in the past, but Providence has already lost its musical identity.

Lupo's is just about the only venue that national acts will come to. Ten years ago you had Lupo's, Babyhead, and The Strand all pulling bigger acts, and you had The Living Room, The Met Cafe, The Green Room, and several other little clubs with local acts.

All that remains is Lupo's and I guess the new Living Room. (which isn't even close to the same)

If you want to see live music of any kind, even just a bar band, you are basically limited to those places plus Olive's, Rira, and the Call.

It's pathetic, really.

the call is gone. i assume you mean the century lounge.

lupo's brings in national acts, but they have to finish playing early so they can have their diesel dance parties. i think that's pretty lame... when i see a band, i want to see them play until 11 or 12 (or later in some cases). the living room and the century lounge have brought in some nationally known acts, but they're smaller. railroad earth (a bluegrass band), the breakfast (a funky jamband), and max creek (a jamband from CT i think that sounds similar to the grateful dead). railroad earth hits the century lounge every now and then. the breakfast used to go to the call regularly. max creek is at the living room like once a month. they're all known nationally in the jamband circuit. there's others i've seen advertised at the century lounge that are nationally known as well. and a lot of the new emo/indie bands that i can't stand play at the living room. they're nationally known as well. these bands just aren't your classic big acts. i'm going to lupo's in a couple weeks to see phil lesh. it'll be my first experience at the new lupos (i loved the old one).

you are right though, providence has lost most of it's identity. there's no reason for bands to come here when they can go to the palladium in worcester or places in boston or hartford (really only the webster). they need to bring more concerts to the dunk and the ppac. there's no reason not to. until recently, the ppac didn't really have a lot of concerts, mostly plays and other "higher class" stuff. it should be thought of as more like the oakdale in CT. they have lots of concerts there. providence needs a good music scene in order to thrive.

I am against pushing out the clubs and music venues (I attend both) and it attractes thousands of people downtown EVERY night. Two things that piss me off are that the police have forgetten what their job duties are it seems, and the city is stupid for not being flexible and "testing out" a 3 or 4am curfew.

BUT if Diesel and lupos had to leave, and if any club or music venue is forced to leave, why can't they just set up shop somewhere else? If it is a money issue, then I would hope that the city would help them out!

I am against pushing out the clubs and music venues (I attend both) and it attractes thousands of people downtown EVERY night. Two things that piss me off are that the police have forgetten what their job duties are it seems, and the city is stupid for not being flexible and "testing out" a 3 or 4am curfew.

BUT if Diesel and lupos had to leave, and if any club or music venue is forced to leave, why can't they just set up shop somewhere else? If it is a money issue, then I would hope that the city would help them out!

personally, i wouldn't be upset if diesel left. however, i do know it brings people into the city (and lots of them). i just hate that lupos has to share a venue with a dance club.

the police do need to start doing their jobs. there's no way around the bottleneck downtown unless they change curfew laws (what is the necessity for a nightclub to close at 2 when they can just stop serving alcohol at 2 and stay open?). but since the bottleneck does happen, the city and police should use it to their benefit. random alcohol tests. forget the people in the car that aren't driving, just get the drivers. it'll potentially save lives and bring money to the city with tickets and fines.

something was brought up on craigslist about police activity and pulling over drivers. someone complained that it turns us into a police state. i say, do it. there are so many bad drivers here and so many people running stoplights and stop signs and making illegal turns. if they ticketed even 5% of these people, they'd be bringing money into the city. but the police don't seem to care about traffic violations. they don't even seem to care about the abundance of drunk drivers downtown on a friday or saturday night.

don't force the clubs out of downtown, it's not necessary. fights happen, but it's a result of stupid drunks, not the clubs. the police lock up these stupid drunks and they're off the street for a while. the clubs need to start learning to stop serving to people once they've had too much. of course this means angry patrons and less money for them. they should also only give one drink per person if they don't already (rather than someone ordering a couple drinks for their friends as well). this will help cut back on underage drinking and keep people to 1 drink at a time. it's not the most effective, but it's a start.

yea, I feel that closing a club down is the lazy way of the police and the city trying to make people happy.

Other alternatives need to be tested first. Why isn't this happening?? The worst case scenario is that 3 and 4am closing times do not work, and then they close down or force the club to move, but at least they would have put some effort into the situation. Give the new closing time a

Archived