Orlando Fashion Square [Renovation in Progress]

demon

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

I haven’t been in Dillard’s in decades - they’re just sad generally and the OFS store was one of the first to fall afoul of the city’s rights ordinance so you breeder folk will have to puzzle that one out. They also made a complete mess of Ivey’s. Hopefully, they’ll go back to Arkansas with the Huckabees.

LOL...you said breeder folk...

On 9/30/2021 at 6:02 AM, Gtothree2748 said:

Revised design plans released for the redevelopment of OFS property. Macy’s building and parking garage to be the only structures from original mall spared of demolition. It will be broken down to four phases and include up to 1,400 residences. 

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-fashion-square-framework-20210928-fpibh6puyfd5xnmes3dzupxcqa-story.html

84336A92-D457-45A3-A3F1-B4A4EE67ED58.jpeg

00C732B1-6A24-470A-B68B-501CA524C0C9.jpeg

0853DF9C-6042-4394-B4C3-73B9E5AB4AE0.jpeg

FC2BE33B-BCF3-4B52-B019-F474DD29B0E2.jpeg

0B9F06EE-8873-4CEE-94C8-250E5A9FA411.jpeg

Disappointing plan and renderings. Absolutely no vision. There is nothing creative, interesting or exciting about this. I just don’t understand why Orlando keeps getting these mediocre development ideas. It’s sad…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Urbo said:

Disappointing plan and renderings. Absolutely no vision. There is nothing creative, interesting or exciting about this. I just don’t understand why Orlando keeps getting these mediocre development ideas. It’s sad…

It’s all the inspiration from being in the same town as…. Baker Barrios! Mediocrity as far as the eye can see in their offices with each of the drones wearing a grey visor. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

LOL...you said breeder folk...

In homage to Orlandoan Michael Tolliver, protagonist of Armistead Maupin’s epic “Tales of the City” (did you know longtime Sentinel theater critic Elizabeth Maupin is a distant cousin of Armistead?). Tolliver used the term frequently.

• Like 1

It fits in with Koger across the street. Of course, that was designed 50 years ago and the design was totally out of date shortly thereafter, so…

I had no idea there was a Koger across the street or anywhere else nearby OFS.

And when I say nearby, I mean within a 50 - 100 mile radius.  

Or am I thinking of Kroger? 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I had no idea there was a Koger across the street or anywhere else nearby OFS.

And when I say nearby, I mean within a 50 - 100 mile radius.  

Koger, not Kroger *lol*. Koger was a Jax developer who built business parks in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, including the Koger Business Center on Maguire.  Let’s go Kogering!?!*

Having said that, with the new warehouses Kroger is building in Florida and with Publix just about to open for the first time downriver from Kroger headquarters in Louisville, is the battle returning at last?

Kroger, btw, did make a foray locally into the state with SuperX drug stores and later SuperX Food and Drug (locally known as Florida Choice after the company sold the drug stores). Like most midrange out of state grocers, Publix wiped the floor with them. The latter-day Lucky’s Markets (one right across the street from OFS in an old Publix/Pantry Pride) were also controlled by Kroger and we know how that went, much to @codypet’s disappointment.

* More on Ira Koger 
https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-mar-midtown-centre-the-nations-first-office-park

From Metro Jacksonville 

Edited by spenser1058

Koger, not Kroger *lol*. Koger was a Jax developer who built business parks in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s, including the Koger Business Center on Maguire.  Let’s go Kogering!?!

Having said that, with the new warehouses Kroger is building in Florida and with Publix just about to open for the first time downriver from Kroger headquarters in Louisville, is the battle returning at last?

Kroger, btw, did make a foray locally into the state with SuperX drug stores and later SuperX Food and Drug (locally known as Florida Choice after the company sold the drug stores). Like most midrange out of state grocers, Publix wiped the floor with them. The latter-day Lucky’s Markets (one right across the street from OFS in an old Publix/Pantry Pride) we’re also controlled by Kroger and we know how that went, much to @codypet’s disappointment.

Yeah, while I was posting that, I remebered The Koger Executive Center (which is what I believe the name actually was) from having to go there for various reasons back in the 80's.

But I almost done with the post so I figured rather than abandon it, I'd go ahead and complete it with the added line about Kroger just for a chuckle.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Kroger, btw, did make a foray locally into the state with SuperX drug stores and later SuperX Food and Drug (locally known as Florida Choice after the company sold the drug stores). Like most midrange out of state grocers, Publix wiped the floor with them. The latter-day Lucky’s Markets (one right across the street from OFS in an old Publix/Pantry Pride) were also controlled by Kroger and we know how that went, much to @codypet’s disappointment.

I for one welcome our new SE Grocers overlords! :tw_lol:

Edited by codypet
  • Haha 3

An earlier poster noted that these latest plans (and I agree with the group consensus that the plans are mediocre at best) are just another stalling tactic and will not see the light of day. That being said, I'm increasingly dismayed by the city's lack of concern about blighted abandoned or underused properties like Fashion Square, the old Hoods Up on Bumby, the abandoned Kmart on Semoran, the sketchy abandoned Massage School on Crystal Lake, etc. It's bad for the city and the local neighborhoods, and if I ran the world I'd use the power of code enforcement to my full advantage. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

An earlier poster noted that these latest plans (and I agree with the group consensus that the plans are mediocre at best) are just another stalling tactic and will not see the light of day. That being said, I'm increasingly dismayed by the city's lack of concern about blighted abandoned or underused properties like Fashion Square, the old Hoods Up on Bumby, the abandoned Kmart on Semoran, the sketchy abandoned Massage School on Crystal Lake, etc. It's bad for the city and the local neighborhoods, and if I ran the world I'd use the power of code enforcement to my full advantage. 

@smileguy might be able to weigh in on this but I’ve been surprised given how trendy the Milk is these days that no one has jumped on Hoods Up (aka the old Gulf station at Bumby and Robinson).

Of course, given how long they diddled around with the bowling alley, maybe I shouldn’t be.

38 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

@smileguy might be able to weigh in on this but I’ve been surprised given how trendy the Milk is these days that no one has jumped on Hoods Up (aka the old Gulf station at Bumby and Robinson).

Of course, given how long they diddled around with the bowling alley, maybe I shouldn’t be.

Bowling alley is much smaller, and they are targeting New Years for opening.  Expect a completely different experience with coffee, pastry, full liquor bar and upscale experience.

Hoods Up, on the other hand, is a much different story.  There have been many offers on the property, including above market, as-is offers and negotiations that have resulted in unclosed sales.  There are strong emotional ties to the property, and as evidenced by what's stored there, it appears to be part of a hoard. 

We've talked a few times with the City about a vacancy tax or penalty based on estimated lost economic output or market rental rates to help this and other buildings sell, but it keeps getting held up in the City Attorney's office.  With Florida's strong property rights laws, they can't seem to find a way to enact an ordinance that wouldn't either be illegal or completely struck down with another preemption from the State (like the tree protections that were gutted a couple of years ago.) 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

Bowling alley is much smaller, and they are targeting New Years for opening.  Expect a completely different experience with coffee, pastry, full liquor bar and upscale experience.

Hoods Up, on the other hand, is a much different story.  There have been many offers on the property, including above market, as-is offers and negotiations that have resulted in unclosed sales.  There are strong emotional ties to the property, and as evidenced by what's stored there, it appears to be part of a hoard. 

We've talked a few times with the City about a vacancy tax or penalty based on estimated lost economic output or market rental rates to help this and other buildings sell, but it keeps getting held up in the City Attorney's office.  With Florida's strong property rights laws, they can't seem to find a way to enact an ordinance that wouldn't either be illegal or completely struck down with another preemption from the State (like the tree protections that were gutted a couple of years ago.) 

There was a rumor and I don't know how true it is, that the owners did not want alcohol served at whatever their old building became.  Is that true?

Publix isn’t too worried- they’re up to almost 1300 stores and about to add new stores in Kentucky.

SE Grocers is at just over 500 and every time they declare bankruptcy again close down more. It’s the incredible shrinking chain!

What’s also interesting is that unlike almost every other grocery chain, Publix doesn’t exit markets once it gets in them.

Edited by spenser1058

5 hours ago, smileguy said:

Excellent insight. Very helpful. Sad about Hoods Up. It keeps getting tagged. Could be a cool space. One day soon I hope.

• 1 month later...

Well, our favorite on hold forever project is back in the news again.

Unless there's a lot of ground floor retail in those residential buildings, it doesn't look like much to get excited about.

From Bungalower:

fashion-square4.jpg

Plans created by Baker Barrios for the redevelopment of Fashion Square were just submitted to the City of Orlando Municipal Planning Board for review that share plans for additional retail, residential, and hotel uses for the site.

The 45-acre site plan, if approved, would include a mix of townhomes, multi-family residences, live/work units, and commercial uses and restaurants, as well as two new parking garages over four separate phases.

fashion-square-1.jpg

fashion-square2.jpg

fashion-square3.jpg

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/16/preliminary-plans-submitted-for-fashion-square-mall/

2 hours ago, Uncommon said:

I would love to see the property owners make whatever the needed repairs are and then repurpose this mall into a gigantic food hall and entertainment area, similar to Armature Works.

I have expressed a similar wish.

A combinaton of restaurants, a food hall, sports themed recreation/entertainment including a bowling alley and basketball courts for local league play and pickup games, video game-billiards-ping-pong arcade, kiddie play area, internet cafe, indie film theater similar to Enzian, maybe a live music venue for local bands and music/dance acts. 

Something for everyone.

Throw some retail in the mix, and Bob's your uncle. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

This video actually came up on my Recommended Videos on YouTube the other day and I gave it a watch. Some good tidbits in there (but you can tell the dude is obviously not from around here). Pretty sad that he's walking around while the mall is actually open. 

"Bur-deen's" :lol: 

There are a lot of "dead mall" vidoes on YouTube. 

All sad.