Predictions for the coming year

GRDadof3

Acrisure buys the former Cooley building to hotel staff until they can get a large building constructed.  

Acrisure proposes a large new building next to the s-curve with a dramatic architectural design 

Two more high density housing projects are proposed for the west bank south of Leonard

Padnos announces sale of its GVSU adjacent properties and consolidates onto its north-side lots.  Significant housing development rumored for the newly sold property.

Amplify GR and Rockford Construction land 1000 new jobs in their project areas.

Rivertown Mall announces major transformation of one end of the mall into housing development.  

Large-scale repair work is launched on the grandville castle

JTB proposes another 500 home subdivision in the Walker area 

Restaurant Partners Management will purchase two more heritage restaurants in West Michigan from longtime family owners.

USPS will indicate interest in moving from its downtown property for the first time.

• Like 2

I didn’t do one for 2023, so here it goes for 2024:

• Acrisure will recognize that it may be expanding too rapidly. If a new headquarters, if any, were to be announced, expect it to be 20 stories or less.

• Sligh plans will go forward, though with more storage and mixed-use. Possibly a parking garage across the street?

• No announcements on an aquarium.

• No announcements on liner buildings for the auditorium.

• Groundbreaking date on the trail leading up Belknap will be revealed by the fall.

• "Lyon Square" will finish and continue to be under-used.

• Rapids are dead in the water. No further plans on riverside trails will be announced as planners pick up the pieces.

• Interior parks will receive more attention, with maybe more focus on Indian Trails and the southeast side.

• GRCC will announce a decent-sized project.

• Plans for Calder Plaza will be revealed for a completion date of Summer 2026 for semiquincentennial celebrations and the bicentennial anniversary of the city's "founding."

Edited by WMrapids
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, WMrapids said:

• Rapids are dead in the water. No further plans on riverside trails will be announced as planners pick up the pieces.

Yes, the rapids are pretty much dead, thanks to the feds (IIRC) shooting it down.

The riverside trails are not dead though.  The city is actively looking at acquiring easements and property to make them happen.  The tunnel under Leonard should be happening fairly soon.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 5:32 PM, WMrapids said:

• Plans for Calder Plaza will be revealed for a completion date of Summer 2026 for semiquincentennial celebrations and the centennial anniversary of the city's "founding."

Don't you mean bicentennial? 😀 By "founding" you're referring to Campau settling here in 1826 right?

Predictions. Everyone always beats me to the good predictions so I don't have a lot.  I don't think I had any last year.

--Corewell will throw a hissy fit when they don't get their way.  They'll spread rumors that they're thinking of making Southfield their HQ and Monroe Ave a "regional center."  They'll start airing ads about how much they love GR and being the area's top employer and so people better appreciate it.  They'll tear down the buildings in the middle of the night and dare the city to do something about it.  In the end I think they will get their parking (I hope to be wrong).

--More of a long-term prediction than just 2024, but longer term KCM's spotlight in the NYT was just the beginning.  Good Asian food is moving into the midwest and GR is going to keep getting some more great options.

--Dave's Hot Chicken will go in Breton Village or 28th Street.  I'd love to see it on Wealthy or Bridge though.

--Concur with everyone that West Leonard is the new hot spot for more infill construction.  Also more housing will be announced along the river.  I just hope it'll be tall.

--This site will finally recognize that I'm not a G**damn robot.  I could swear I've ID'd every single traffic light that exists in this world.  Is Rick Deckard is going to bust in my room and kill me if I get one wrong? 😜

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1. Acrisure will be the core tenet for a 40+ story building at Fulton and Market, they will utilize part of the building for now, and as leases run out and they need space, they will take over more space. This concept is beyond mind blowing for locals. 

2. Sligh is Dead.

3. More regional and national chain restaurants open in the area. My picks: Dave’s Hot Chicken, Portillos, Shake Shack, and Raising Canes

4. Someone will partner with Corewell to build residential for them. Nothing will come to fruition, even with multiple plans and approvals. More of a prediction for a few years. 

5. Creston will land a major project. Tallest in the neighborhood. 

6. Soccer Stadium and USLC team are announced.

7. Smaller arena of 5k seats is announced. More a wish than an actual prediction.

8. Hotel near Amphitheater is announced.

9. First act is announced for the amphitheater. It will be a country star that normally would play stadiums. 

10. The new zoo plan next to Meijer Gardens is revived. JBZ will remain as a petting zoo for historical value. The county will simply give up on parking concerns there, and dealing with zoo vs park issues. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 12:20 AM, droonus2000 said:

10. The new zoo plan next to Meijer Gardens is revived. JBZ will remain as a petting zoo for historical value. The county will simply give up on parking concerns there, and dealing with zoo vs park issues. 

Large investments in JBZ infrastructure over recent years make reconsidering the GR golf club site very unlikely…. Not to mention voters previously rejected that idea.  IMHO, the dump site as a parking solution will rise quickly as parking combined with solar will prove attractive and relatively low cost (compared to a ramp).

on the topic of Acrisure building, I’ve heard a number of people from Acrisure relay that the company really likes being part of the Arena South neighborhood (to use the old label that preceded Studio Park).  I wonder if that will attract them to the site next to the s-curve more than the Fulton/Market development site.  Will be interesting to see how this goes…

Edited by cstonesparty
  • Like 2