Manchester Development

Richmonopoly

Entrepreneur buying buildings and sprucing up Manchester

The Old Town Manchester area seems like it has a lot of potential, especially Hull Street.  The section of Hull St. 

Sometimes I forget how much land Richmond City has South of the river.  A revitalization of that area really would change the city.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, that's pretty big.  I'm surprised to see development happening so far down Jefferson Davis.  I thought it would be another decade before I started to see anything down that far.

I wonder how long it will be before some bars and grocery stores start popping up around the Hull St. Corridor.  

Fantastic news, especially Muse. Although I was a little sad for a moment bc I thought it was going to go on the big chunk of vacant land right off the Lee Bridge (next to the SunTrust Mortgage campus), that's the one that Robin Miller is trying to sell apparently. I'm more excited about Model Tobacco, American Tobacco is nice looking but MT is iconic and I can't wait for it to be restored to glory.

From the article:

As for the Model Tobacco building just south of the property, Wilkinson said he is eyeing the art deco-style building for a similar affordable housing project, contending that market rate apartments wouldn’t work in that area.

“My thinking is, once we get American Tobacco started and underway, then we’ll see what we can’t do about Model Tobacco,” Wilkinson said. “It would kind of make sense to start with American Tobacco and just keep moving south and do Model Tobacco. I think I know how to make it happen.”

• Like 1

I hope this begins a turnaround for this strip of Jeff Davis out toward Hopkins road.  That stretch is really, really in need of improvement.  I head out there to the dump every now and then it goes down hill so fast after crossing the bridge.  I have seen some crazy stuff happening right out on the street in the middle of the afternoon.  Good news.

7 hours ago, meegwell said:

I hope this begins a turnaround for this strip of Jeff Davis out toward Hopkins road.  That stretch is really, really in need of improvement.  I head out there to the dump every now and then it goes down hill so fast after crossing the bridge.  I have seen some crazy stuff happening right out on the street in the middle of the afternoon.  Good news.

I agree.  I was surprised that this is happening so soon.  I was expecting another decade before we would see one of those buildings on Jefferson Davis redeveloped.

It is pretty bad on that side of town too.  Council member Trammell for the 8th district (South RVA) was complaining to the police chief about the rampant public prostitution in the corridor about a month ago.  It makes the area seem so much worse because the "crime" is so publicly visible.

I really wish the city could devise a plan to clean up or get rid of those motels.  I think that would go a long way in cleaning up the area.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Vote. What do you think?  So glad to see some press on this. Hoping for 16 story towers, nothing less please!

http://dogtowndish.com/2016/09/20/vote-are-you-in-support-of-city-proposed-horse-trade-enabling-a-16-story-riverfront-tower-in-manchester/

I voted yes, Hoping for 16 as well, it would probably make it the tallest tower in Manchester, really make our skyline cross the river

• Like 3

Some people just have been conditioned to be negative.  The school system angle is just another way of people not wanting to see the city grow. Ignorance. Anybody would understand that development means a broader tax base wich in turn goes into the pot to help with all city services.

Edited by CitiWalker