More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 7/10/2017 at 1:46 PM, Rockatansky said:

FYI: The report doesn't claim that the cost of living here is now higher than Seattle, Austin or Philly. Instead it shows that our increase in the cost of living rose more quickly than those cities.

It says it's higher than Austin:

"You can live comfortably in Austin making less than $55,000 per year...

...It takes a salary of $70,150 to live in Nashville today."

6 hours ago, markhollin said:

Yeah, I know many people who make less than $70 K per year in Nashville who are living quite comfortably.

Obviously I don't live in the Nashville area any longer so I really can't say for certain, but although I suppose it depends on what one's definition of "living comfortably" is, I make considerably less than $70K/year and live what I consider to be quite a comfortable life in a good Chicago neighborhood, so I've got to imagine I could do the same in Nashville.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

From Nashville Post:

Nashville among nation’s hottest apartment markets

Online apartment marketing and information website RENTcafe.com has described the Nashville for-lease housing scene as “astonishing,” ranking the city among the hottest in the nation.

The Santa Barbara, California-based entity reports that by year’s end, approximately 8,500 new apartment units are scheduled to have hit the overall Nashville market in 2017 (almost twice the number seen in 2016), with 6,670 of those in Davidson County.

With an 4 percent job growth rate (the second highest growth rate of the 100 largest U.S. metros RENTcafe.com analyzed via commercial real estate research and data entity Yardi Matrix) and a 2 percent growth in population, the boost in the rental housing stock is needed, according to Doug Ressler, Yardi Matrix senior analyst.

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/us-apartment-construction-at-a-20-year-high-in-2017/

• Like 4

BRIDGESTONE ARENA RANKS FIFTH IN U.S., 19TH IN WORLD TICKET SALES IN POLLSTAR’S

2017 MID-YEAR REPORT 

Nashville, Tenn. (July 17, 2017) – Bridgestone Arena ranks fifth in the United States and 19th in the world for concert ticket sales, according to international trade publication Pollstar’s Mid-Year Ticket Sales report. Pollstar announced Bridgestone Arena ticket sales as 284,896, inclusive of solely show and concert tickets. When including the SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament and Nashville Predators home hockey games, Bridgestone Arena has hosted nearly 1 million people in the building year to date.

Pollstar’s Top-10 U.S. Venues (Show & Concert Ticket Sales):

1.) Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.)

2.) Madison Square Garden (New York)

3.) Amalie Arena (Tampa Bay, Fla.)

4.) Prudential Center (Newark, N.J.)

5.) Bridgestone Arena

6.) Philips Arena (Atlanta)

7.) Allstate Arena (Rosemont, Ill.)

8.) Forum (Inglewood, Calif.)

9.) American Airlines Center (Dallas)

10.) SAP Center at San Jose (San Jose, Calif.) 

“This ranking is indicative of the world-class support we receive from all the fans who attend world-class events here at Bridgestone Arena, the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County and the entire community, as evidenced during the Predators recent run to the Stanley Cup Final,” Senior Vice President of Booking David Kells said.  “As we continue to strive toward our ONE GOAL of becoming the No. 1 sports and entertainment venue in the United States, we would like to thank everyone who supports the quality entertainment at Bridgestone Arena and those who work hard to create an amazing environment for fans. We also thank the artists, managers, agents, promoters and everyone in the entertainment community who has brought their tour to our venue.”

Serving as the home for numerous national and international events, Bridgestone Arena has the distinction of being one of the busiest venues in the United States over the past decade and a half. In addition to being named nominated for Pollstar’s 2015 and 2016 Arena of the Year, Bridgestone Arena continued to rack up the awards in the first seven months of 2017, including the 2017 Academy of Country Music Venue of the Year and the 2017 Facility of Merit Award by the National Hockey League.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Authentic Chinese food:
- Lucky Bamboo (dim sum Sat/Sun)
- Sichuan Hot Pot & Asian Cuisine
- Golden Coast (authentic buffet Sat/Sun)
- Corner Asian Cafe (**must request Chinese menu)

**Lucky Bamboo is owned by Chinatown Cafe, where you can get Peking duck and few other authentic items. Authentic dinners for special occasions can be arranged upon request

Best advice is go to STL or ATL, both have large enough Chinese populations to support a wide array of authentic restaurants

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Middle Tennessee's headcount of employed residents grew by 4 percent from 2015 to 2016. By percentage points, that's the biggest leap in the nation and more than double the city with the next-best gain.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/08/14/study-nashville-leads-thenation-when-it-comes-to.html

The story is behind the NBJ paywall, but I was able to get a partial screenshot of this chart:

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 2.30.35 PM.png

Surprised to see some of those cities in the bottom 10. Oil prices taking their toll on OKC & Houston. Makes you wonder if Devon Energy sweated building that behemoth tower right before the bottom fell out of the market.

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

Middle Tennessee's headcount of employed residents grew by 4 percent from 2015 to 2016. By percentage points, that's the biggest leap in the nation and more than double the city with the next-best gain.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/08/14/study-nashville-leads-thenation-when-it-comes-to.html

The story is behind the NBJ paywall, but I was able to get a partial screenshot of this chart:

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 2.30.35 PM.png

....and six times faster than the 5th fastest growing City economy.  I'll repeat; Nashville's economy is growing six times faster than the nation's 5th fastest growing city economy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Griz83 said:

Great news - and good on Memphis for showing up number 8!  As a native Nashvillian (the elusive unicorn), I didn't used to feel that way toward Memphis.  But, I'm glad to see our in-state neighbor no longer appears to be in complete decline.  Also glad to see Detroit rebounding.

On the other hand, both Knoxville and Chattanooga were listed among the medium-sized metros whose economies shrank.

For small metros, nearby Bowling Green was the 5th fastest growing in the nation, and Chattanooga's neighbor Dalton GA was the 2nd fastest growing.

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2