Legacy Union (former Charlotte Observer redevelopment)

Missmylab4

On 1/26/2020 at 3:42 PM, turbocraig said:

I really like the contouring on this side.  It could very easily have been a completely flat curtain wall here, and honestly that's what I had originally expected.  The renderings all seemed to show the south facing curved side, so I didn't realize this side would have some interest too.  I wonder what's up with that row of glazing three rows down that looks like it's reflecting the light differently.   And that one little window on the corner in that same row.

Are those windows backwards maybe?

We are overdue for a building announcement at LU, anything on the horizon?  A hotel is really needed on this site.

For all of the complaints about this project, the Deloitte Building really looks cool when you see it looking down S Tryon.  Having the top cantilever out over  the sidewalks was a good move.

Edited by CLT_sc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CLT_sc said:

We are overdue for a building announcement at LU, anything on the horizon?  A hotel is really needed on this site.

For all of the complaints about this project, the Deloitte Building really looks cool when you see it looking down S Tryon.  Having the top cantilever out over  the sidewalks was a good move.

Overdue indeed!  LU has seen tremendous development in a very short period of time (2 to 3 years).   I’d be surprised if there isn’t another building announced later this year or at least sometime before the end of the year.  I think another office or residential would be announced before anything Hospitality would be due to all the hotels being announced in nearby Southend and 1st Ward.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

2 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Overdue indeed!  LU has seen tremendous development in a very short period of time (2 to 3 years).   I’d be surprised if there isn’t another building announced later this year or at least sometime before the end of the year.  I think another office or residential would be announced before anything Hospitality would be due to all the hotels being announced in nearby Southend and 1st Ward.

EIGHT OF THEM IN PLANNING in Southend. Legacy Union might have missed the boat. 

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It’s nuts that the booming south part of uptown (within the loop) seems to have a similar amount of hotel development to the comparative zombie apocalypse that is the north end.  Who’s not paying attention here?  All these business travelers working in these new towers on or near south Tryon are gonna need to sleep somewhere.  And lots of them aren’t gonna want to hop a train to Southend if center city is booked.  Seems to be a massive hole in the market there.  But maybe not.  What do I know?

5 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

It’s nuts that the booming south part of uptown (within the loop) seems to have a similar amount of hotel development to the comparative zombie apocalypse that is the north end.  Who’s not paying attention here?  All these business travelers working in these new towers on or near south Tryon are gonna need to sleep somewhere.  And lots of them aren’t gonna want to hop a train to Southend if center city is booked.  Seems to be a massive hole in the market there.  But maybe not.  What do I know?

On the flip side, Uptown’s vacancy has probably been very cushioned from the lack (zero, until recently) of hotel options in Southend. As more of these proposed hotels come to fruition, there will be more vacancy available uptown I would think. I still think LU has a good chance of a hotel still since it’s walking distance to several fortune 100 companies. 

57 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Aside from Aloft, do you have any idea as to what brands will be represented.  Not asking which brands will correspond with any particular project, but just want to know any new to market brands that may be coming down the pike if you’re able to share.

46 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You can accomplish a lot with near-slave labor, virtually no regard for safety, unquestionable eminent domain, and nigh-unlimited funds. 

You are correct about the labor portion.  But the time it time it takes for permitting here is very long. I'm sure there's a ton of bureaucracy in China also. Just amazed they were able to grade, utility relocate, and complete vertical construction in 2 days. It shows the potential. 

Edited by mpretori
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mpretori said:

You are correct about the labor portion.  But the time it time it takes for permitting here is very long. I'm sure there's a ton of bureaucracy in China also. Just amazed they were able to grade, utility relocate, and complete vertical construction in 2 days. It shows the potential. 

They didn’t build that building in two days. They retrofitted an existing structure into hospital bedrooms, in 2 days. The separate video of the 30+ excavators was a different project.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Aside from Aloft, do you have any idea as to what brands will be represented.  Not asking which brands will correspond with any particular project, but just want to know any new to market brands that may be coming down the pike if you’re able to share.

I honestly don't know. They don't put that stuff out until the day they are ready.

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Was the same site. You can see videos of them pouring concrete.

Hospital that was created within an already built/existing empty building, “built” in 2 days: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7939075/amp/Chinas-coronavirus-hospital-OPENS-today.html

The one they started from scratch: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7942007/Time-lapse-footage-shows-Wuhan-building-second-coronavirus-hospital-1-600-beds.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

lol skimmed through that too fast. you are correct. 

47 minutes ago, Dale said:

Sorry, don’t think I want to take many notes from China.

Dear leader is already mirroring the environmental policies of "do nothing".  Can't deny buildings do up faster in China and even the UAE for that matter. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mpretori said:

Just so much to unpack here.........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rufus said:

It'll be interesting to see how this is managed once open. It could be a really great casual meeting place. I worry that Bank of America will sanitize this space, and hyper police it to the point of just being ornamental. It would be nice to see people just hanging out in this space.

Definitely needs some small round tables and chairs that can be freely moved about. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

lol skimmed through that too fast. you are correct. 

Dear leader is already mirroring the environmental policies of "do nothing".  Can't deny buildings do up faster in China and even the UAE for that matter. 

Orange Man Bad is streamlining unwieldy regulations. He loves the planet more than you do. China build quicker, fall down quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1