Will Publix ever come to Charlotte?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they will eventually try to enter the market, but I don't believe they will be successful.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have indicated that they plan to keep moving up this way. It might be a while before they start building though.

I think Publix can hold its own against Harris Teeter and certainly against Food Lion, etc. The "new" Publix carries good very similar to those found in HT, but their prices are much lower. Publix's predatory growth in Metro Atlanta caused HT to flee the area. They're very agressive when they enter a market.

I hope Publix or Kroger or another grocer like that comes to Charlotte!! I brought up this question in this this thread too http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...opic=8685&st=15

this is what Publix said when i emailed them

Thank you for your email. We appreciate our customers taking the time to contact us.

Publix constantly evaluates the markets we currently operate in as well as adjacent markets. However, there are no immediate plans to move beyond the five states we currently operate in which are Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Tennessee.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. If we can be of any further assistance regarding this matter, please either call our Consumer Relations toll-free number at 1-800-242-1227, write us at the Publix Super Markets Corporate Office, PO Box 407, Lakeland, FL 33802, ATTN: Consumer Relations, or contact us at our website, publix.com and mention your reference number

I can't recall Publix ever failing in any market they enter. I remember what a big deal it was when they decided to expand outside of their Florida homebase, into Georgia. They are a very calculating and methodical company -- they study their markets carefully and they are VERY selective on where they place their stores. They're also very conscious about their image and perception of qualty of service... That's partly how they've managed to hold off Wal-Mart in Florida. Publix is a very formidable competitor.

What are "new" Publix's like? I never felt that they were any nicer than a Bi-Lo or Winn-Dixie, but most of the stores in Florida that I have been in looked older....the wierd thing is when I lived in Atlanta, I don't remember going to Publix.....how long have they been there?

I can't recall Publix ever failing in any market they enter. I remember what a big deal it was when they decided to expand outside of their Florida homebase, into Georgia. They are a very calculating and methodical company -- they study their markets carefully and they are VERY selective on where they place their stores. They're also very conscious about their image and perception of qualty of service... That's partly how they've managed to hold off Wal-Mart in Florida. Publix is a very formidable competitor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe a prime example of Publix's concern about image and quality perception is the restoration and adaptive reuse of the old confederate printing plant dating back to the 1890's in DT Columbia. So when you say that it makes a lot of sense. But if they were planning to expand into NC, I'm sure Charlotte would more than likely be the first place they'd look.

Considering you all have some home based grocery stores, I wouldn't be wishing on something you may later regret. Since Publix entered the Atlanta market, they & Krogers have dominated Atlanta metro by over 60% share. We've seen the loss of Bruno, Harris Teeter, Big Star, Cubs, and of course A&P & Winn Dixie. They're a decent grocery store & have produced some decent stores in intown Atlanta, a smaller 'urban - oriented' store which will add up to 2 Midtown stores by next year.

I used to like shopping in Publix when I lived in Boca.  But I think they will need to change their format (from what I saw in S. Fla)  somewhat to succeed in more uptight Charlotte.  (they would be fine at the Lake however)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do tell us how the Lake is more laid back than Charlotte? Has Mooresville suddenly become a liberal mecca?

I shopped in Publix when I lived in Sarasota and Tampa. Give me the Teeter any day over Publix. Albertsons was the better grocer in Florida (at least where I lived).

Do tell us how the Lake is more laid back than Charlotte?  Has Mooresville suddenly become a liberal mecca? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't speak to Mooresville as that is 13 miles to the north of here (same distance as DT Charlotte). But here at Lake Norman, we were pleasantly suprrised as how much more laid back it is here compared to Charlotte. It is very reminiscent of what I saw in at the beaches in the W. Palm area.

Wegman's is a pretty good grocery store. They are huge. The one here in Fairfax is over 120,000 sf. Overall it's a pretty nice store but to me, being from Richmond, it's basically like an extra large Ukrop's. New Ukrop's are all around 60,000sf and offer virtually everything that Wegman's offers except for alcohol. The HT up here in fairfax is pretty neat because it has a two story concept, with general merchandise and pharmacy items upstairs, but it lacks the character I see in a wegman's or a Ukrop's. Out of all the stores I've been to, I'd say my top favorites are #1-Ukrop's(the customer service and atmosphere are just on another level), #2-Wegman's (very nice store, great food in the market cafe), #3 tie between Publix and HT, #4-Kroger. How many stores does publix have now?

I don't care if we 'get a publix' or not. I'm fine with the grocery stores we have right now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I second that....I love my Teeter's, and all the other's work fine for me as well.....though I'm still cautious about Food Lion's meat dept.

I second that....I love my Teeter's, and all the other's work fine for me as well.....though I'm still cautious about Food Lion's meat dept.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Harris Teeter is an excellent store with gourmet food and excellent meat department, and I agree with you about Food Lion, but Charlotte needs choices, Publix and Kroger would fit well for Charlotte.

I agree Harris Teeter is an excellent store with gourmet food and excellent meat department, and I agree with you about Food Lion, but Charlotte needs choices, Publix and Kroger would fit well for Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte basically has Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Wal-Mart Supercenter and some Bi-Lo's, Winn-Dixie's and Lowe's..

HT and Lowes are on the upper scale end, Bi-Lo is moderate and WD and FL are downscale... sometimes the quality in the latter 3 (WD, FL, BiLo) is questionable and we do need something like Kroger and Publix i think. After all -Columbia has both and Raleigh and Durham have Kroger

Charlotte basically has Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Wal-Mart Supercenter and some Bi-Lo's, Winn-Dixie's and Lowe's..

HT and Lowes are on the upper scale end, Bi-Lo is moderate and WD and FL are downscale... sometimes the quality in the latter 3 (WD, FL, BiLo) is questionable and we do need something like Kroger and Publix i think.  After all -Columbia has both and Raleigh and Durham have Kroger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point exactly, and Raleigh and Columbia are smaller, and still have more. Whats with that. We need these stores.

Archived