Will Publix ever come to Charlotte?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was located at the intersection of Catawba Ave and Hwy 115. The building is still there, but it was vacated when they built the store you mentioned. For years they were known as Lowes Foods & Thrify Marts. They used to place ads on Charlotte television because the signals go up to the mountains where many Lowes stores are located.

Thanks for the info. There's a Food Lion at Catawba and 115 now, if i'm not mistaken?

There is, but it is not in the same building. It is located in a new urbanist development across the street where an old textile mill used to be. It is one of the upscaled freshlook, Foodlions. i.e. Bloom without the electronic feldercarb.

Here is a photo of the area. That Foodlion would be behind these live/work condos. The abandoned Lowes would be in front. Sorry that I don't have a photo of either.

111_1133.jpg

While they are not based in Winston-Salem, they began in N. Wilkesboro by people that interestingly enough, had ties to the people that started Lowes Home Improvement store.

Lowes Foods is based in Winston-Salem. They have an administrative building near Hanes Mall on the south side of town. Their origins are in Wilkesboro, though.

So both Lowe's Home Improvement and Lowes Foods originited in Wilkesboro?

Yeah. We all knew Lowe's Home Improvement could potentially be a big deal, but Lowes Foods suprised me. When I was younger, they used to have really tiny, old fashioned stores. Good prices though.

When Food Lion expanded and Winn-Dixie and Kroger modernized in Martinsville, Va., they pretty much drove Lowes Foods out of town, so I didn't go to any of their stores for probably about a decade. The difference was amazing. The new stores were serious grocery contenders and the presentation looked substantially more sophisticated, but the prices were just as good or better than they used to be.

Yeah. We all knew Lowe's Home Improvement could potentially be a big deal, but Lowes Foods suprised me. When I was younger, they used to have really tiny, old fashioned stores. Good prices though.

When Food Lion expanded and Winn-Dixie and Kroger modernized in Martinsville, Va., they pretty much drove Lowes Foods out of town, so I didn't go to any of their stores for probably about a decade. The difference was amazing. The new stores were serious grocery contenders and the presentation looked substantially more sophisticated, but the prices were just as good or better than they used to be.

wow, that's interesting

Archived