VCU Developments

wrldcoupe4

• 5 weeks later...

New apartment building set to rise on Cary St on the edge of VCU campus not too far from Belvidere. This may just be the ugliest proposal I have seen in quite a while. I can’t get over it. Normally I am all in favor of a project like this, but actually think I prefer what is there currently as far as aesthetics.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/02/27/18m-mixed-use-project-set-rise-near-vcu/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, georgeglass said:

New apartment building set to rise on Cary St on the edge of VCU campus not too far from Belvidere. This may just be the ugliest proposal I have seen in quite a while. I can’t get over it. Normally I am all in favor of a project like this, but actually think I prefer what is there currently as far as aesthetics.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/02/27/18m-mixed-use-project-set-rise-near-vcu/

I was coming here to say pretty much the exact same thing. I REALLY hope they change the design of this building, especially considering how often I go to 821 and would have to see it.  

• Like 4

I like the aesthetics  of this (the Mansard roof part).   I like that it is so different than anything around it. I like that it’s dark and doesn’t appear to include any red brick :)  Of course I’d like more height (we’ve got to get serious about increasing population density if we ever want nice things). 

That said, I’m uneasy about loosing  the houses (especially the old pharmacy) there. They are in pretty good shape (occupied as recently as last August) and very nice looking.  Overall, I’m not super excited about this one.

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 1

I guess the scale and roofline are supposed to compliment the gym? 

Im not sure what’s going on at the street level, it’s kinda looking like the parking structure at VCU Medical Center (the one with the bookstore).  That would be tragic.  I do like the three upper floors though.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I guess the scale and roofline are supposed to compliment the gym? 

Im not sure what’s going on at the street level, it’s kinda looking like the parking structure at VCU Medical Center (the one with the bookstore).  That would be tragic.  I do like the three upper floors though.  

I'm not sure whats happening on street level either and that's what I'm mostly concerned about. I don't want a boring blank wall especially sense it's right across the street from a parking garage. I'm worried it will make that block very bare and dull. However enough VCU students are walking through that area that it won't be empty at least.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this project. ANYTHING would be better than those blighted structures. I've owned a home at The Overlook for 13 years now and those buildings have sat vacant the entire time looking like sh!t. Also, they are the gateway from Cary to Oregon Hill and first impressions make it look like a DUMP. Tear those suckers down!

• Like 1

So, I'm a little conflicted on this one, the design is eh ok.., and we'd lose those few buildings on the block, which could look really nice rehabbed. But, the new building is going to take up a vacant lot and parking lot, so its a net win for density? Help me out here guys, I don't know how to feel on this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Just to display this very ugly rendering front and center:

Ugly duckling

At first look in the smaller image I hated the design (aside from the roof and overhanging balconies) but now that I see it is a rough rendering I am hopeful.  With some landscaping, the retail frontage is promising and I will be curious to see what the exterior materials will actually be.  The large flat roof offers some untapped potential   Another floor or two would be ideal but then those upper units would lose visual connectivity with the street.  Keeping the existing structures would have been nice but this may have a better presence on the corner.  The dorms across the corner are certainly look much better in person than the initial renderings so we will see how this really looks.

On 2/27/2018 at 3:22 PM, wrldcoupe4 said:

I like the scale and massing of the building, but seriously, what in the world is the façade made out of?

Looks like it's made out of legos.

Edited by Shakman