Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

20 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I would trust what you find here: http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

It will be connected to the main terminal as a branch off from the walkway between the terminal and the existing A concourse

Thanks. Reminds me of MSP, but with no mid-concourse crossover between A and E. I suppose that means that the A expansion will likely house airlines other than AA? Who'd want to make that walk for a connection?

On 8/6/2016 at 11:54 AM, Exile said:

Thanks. Reminds me of MSP, but with no mid-concourse crossover between A and E. I suppose that means that the A expansion will likely house airlines other than AA? Who'd want to make that walk for a connection?

Supposed to only be outside carriers.     I heard somewhere that the existing A will become AA gates as well, but I don't recall where.   Anyone have any info on the remodeling efforts?  Or the E con expansion?

Saw more heavy equipment moving around in the area where the new runway will eventually go.

20 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

Supposed to only be outside carriers.     I heard somewhere that the existing A will become AA gates as well, but I don't recall where.   Anyone have any info on the remodeling efforts?  Or the E con expansion?

Saw more heavy equipment moving around in the area where the new runway will eventually go.

The remodel of the Concourses is due to start this Fall...so by December. The Concourse E expansion has gone out to bid, got rejected and went out for re-bid. I expect the construction contract to be approved at the next Council meeting which is August 22. Construction will start shortly after that.

The East Terminal expansion has already started. I could hear them banging away out there today. This will add more escalators at the D/E Connector.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uptownliving said:

The remodel of the Concourses is due to start this Fall...so by December. The Concourse E expansion has gone out to bid, got rejected and went out for re-bid. I expect the construction contract to be approved at the next Council meeting which is August 22. Construction will start shortly after that.

The East Terminal expansion has already started. I could hear them banging away out there today. This will add more escalators at the D/E Connector.

Glad to hear it.  Down on E we need all the help we can get.   Its soooo crowded.   The escalator expansion is great.

• 2 weeks later...

$120M Construction Contract for the 9 gate Concourse A expansion was approved tonight. Expect construction to start shortly.

Also City Council approved contracts to replace  the escalators at Checkpoints B and C. These are the escalators you ride down to Baggage Claim after arrival. They were installed in 1982 and are overdue to be replaced. I assume they will replace them one at a time...so expect to either use the staircase or detour around to another escalator.

No word on the Concourse E expansion contract, guess they are still working on that one.

$120M Construction Contract for the 9 gate Concourse A expansion was approved tonight. Expect construction to start shortly.

Also City Council approved contracts to replace  the escalators at Checkpoints B and C. These are the escalators you ride down to Baggage Claim after arrival. They were installed in 1982 and are overdue to be replaced. I assume they will replace them one at a time...so expect to either use the staircase or detour around to another escalator.

No word on the Concourse E expansion contract, guess they are still working on that one.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2016 at 0:13 AM, uptownliving said:

I noticed yesterday the coca cola cafe or whatever it was called at the top of the e and d concourses was ripped out.   Maybe its a sign that they are starting to work over there.  

On September 3, 2016 at 1:32 PM, AppState92 said:

It's lighting in a checked pattern.  The photo is white lighting, but curious if it's LED that changes colors.  I think there's a photo a number of pages back.  I'd repost the photo, but can't figure out how.

7 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

They've revised the main terminal design. Not bad. 

Revised_Elevated-Roadyway-and-Terminal-C

Yeah .. I mentioned a few posts back that the original rendering was not official.  I prefer this design over the stand in, especially the glass that now exists on the side.  Thank you for posting this. 

Concourse E Expansion is finally on the City Council Agenda

-13 Gate Expansion

-American Eagle Training Facility

-Complete Summer '19

-$30M Construction Contract

Below is a schematic of the expansion which has 3 parts. A 9 gate dogleg expansion off the North side, The Training Facility near the food court, and a 4 gate expansion off the East side.

cone.gif

There is also a $24M contract to build a Baggage Transfer facility for Concourse E. So in total Concourse E is getting a $54M expansion.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 6:51 AM, uptownliving said:

Concourse E Expansion is finally on the City Council Agenda

-13 Gate Expansion

-American Eagle Training Facility

-Complete Summer '19

-$30M Construction Contract

Below is a schematic of the expansion which has 3 parts. A 9 gate dogleg expansion off the North side, The Training Facility near the food court, and a 4 gate expansion off the East side.

cone.gif

There is also a $24M contract to build a Baggage Transfer facility for Concourse E. So in total Concourse E is getting a $54M expansion.

Does this include jet bridges?  Thats really the thing thats missing for us.

Honestly I prefer not having a jet bridge on regional CRJ and smaller aircraft. It is much quicker to get your carry-on bag that has to be valet-checked when they put all the bags on a cart and pull it alongside the aircraft compared to them putting it on a conveyor belt up the jet bridge and then stacking it in a line in a crowded jet bridge of 50 people blocking each other. It cuts the wait time for them to unload all carry-on bags in half. The Embraer 170+ aircraft that can handle carry on bags are already largely using jet bridge gates.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2016 at 3:59 PM, CLT2014 said:

Honestly I prefer not having a jet bridge on regional CRJ and smaller aircraft. It is much quicker to get your carry-on bag that has to be valet-checked when they put all the bags on a cart and pull it alongside the aircraft compared to them putting it on a conveyor belt up the jet bridge and then stacking it in a line in a crowded jet bridge of 50 people blocking each other. It cuts the wait time for them to unload all carry-on bags in half. The Embraer 170+ aircraft that can handle carry on bags are already largely using jet bridge gates.

Jet bridges are being installed on all gates. Agents hate using gates that don't have them--loading a wheelchair passenger or anyone with a physical disability into anything with steps is a cluster.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Jet bridges are being installed on all gates. Agents hate using gates that don't have them--loading a wheelchair passenger or anyone with a physical disability into anything with steps is a cluster.

Thank God.  I totally agree.  Plus it's embarrassing.  People are floored when they have to go down the stairs.  Especially when it's bad weather.

• Like 1