Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

53 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The deputy director of CLT spoke at a regional conf today.  These were the two interesting things he shared:

Long term, Christine said, an on-site hotel would be a major plus for the airport — a couple of locations have already been targeted for such a project — and, further down the line, so would a light-rail connection to CLT. Charlotte Douglas is preserving space for a future transit pathway to the airport.

“The airport and central business district generate traffic; it’s what’s in the middle that’s a challenge,” Christine said. “I’m hopeful we can get to a point where we can seriously consider light rail for the airport.”

Is there any doubt that if light rail was run to the airport the entire corridor would grow and turn over with at the same pace of South End?  I would think it would flip even faster.  

On 7/18/2016 at 6:39 PM, NikolaTesla said:

From my understanding, there is a chance that some or all of the current jetways will be replaced with glass versions.  I will try to add a few pictures later on.

All I read is "the current jetways will be replaced with glass ovens" :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The deputy director of CLT spoke at a regional conf today.  These were the two interesting things he shared:

Long term, Christine said, an on-site hotel would be a major plus for the airport — a couple of locations have already been targeted for such a project — and, further down the line, so would a light-rail connection to CLT. Charlotte Douglas is preserving space for a future transit pathway to the airport.

“The airport and central business district generate traffic; it’s what’s in the middle that’s a challenge,” Christine said. “I’m hopeful we can get to a point where we can seriously consider light rail for the airport.”

I would give my right arm to have a viable alternative from driving in from the west every day.  LRT even to the airport would be awesome.  However, as we have seen in many other threads, that more than likely will NOT happen in the next 20 years or so.  The money is just not there.

As for when/if this does happen (cdj5050) - personally, I think going west has a lot more going against it in terms of growing and turning over like South End.  My thoughts on this are that it is a much longer stretch of real estate between Billy Graham Parkway and I-77 that are going to be tough to transform.  Even though there is slow movement around the Morehead/Wilkinson Blvd. area, that is an island unto itself.  Growth west would involve lots of investment on improvements to many of the buildings lining Wilkinson.  It is our "gateway" road to Uptown from the airport, and lots of us on UP think that it should have been upgraded along with the airport as it has grown - just from a perception standpoint.  However, I feel this would take quite a long time for it to happen.  This certainly does not mean I wouldn't like it to happen.  I would welcome that!

• Like 1

Flew in from EWR this evening on AA and two words can only describe Concourse B: stinky and smelly.

BTW, I think international style glass jetways in the US are illegal due to federal fire code.

Fire codes restricting glass walled jetways have recently been lifted in the US. They are already a few airports that are now utilizing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

As for when/if this does happen (cdj5050) - personally, I think going west has a lot more going against it in terms of growing and turning over like South End.  My thoughts on this are that it is a much longer stretch of real estate between Billy Graham Parkway and I-77 that are going to be tough to transform.  Even though there is slow movement around the Morehead/Wilkinson Blvd. area, that is an island unto itself.  Growth west would involve lots of investment on improvements to many of the buildings lining Wilkinson.  It is our "gateway" road to Uptown from the airport, and lots of us on UP think that it should have been upgraded along with the airport as it has grown - just from a perception standpoint.  However, I feel this would take quite a long time for it to happen.  This certainly does not mean I wouldn't like it to happen.  I would welcome that!

Thanks for the insights here.  When I look at Wilkinson I see very large parcels that front the road and I assumed that these would be owned by just a few rather than many.  Was thinking that if light rail was in place it would be hard to justify warehouse or single floor light industrial space remaining when the owners could easily flip to a more dense use.  

Guess my hopes don't match reality. :(

10 hours ago, NikolaTesla said:

Fire codes restricting glass walled jetways have recently been lifted in the US. They are already a few airports that are now utilizing them.

Hunstville already has them.  At least on some of the gates.  Pretty nice, but HOT.

2 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

Hunstville already has them.  At least on some of the gates.  Pretty nice, but HOT.

I hope everyone is having a nice day-

I hear you on the temperature concern, but if CLT is in a position in the future to replace the jetways and has the necessary funding..in my humble opinion, the glass jetways are the way to go.  ThysennKrupp makes a model called the Apron Drive Crystal Bridge which features fully glazed walls, that have a variety of options as to color, lighting, thermal and acoustics.  JBT AeroTech also manufactures some great products like the JetAire Preconditioned Units which can be installed along with the Jetway upgrades to produce some potential savings.  I don't know the technical aspects of the current jetways at CLT, so i can't make any substantial statements regarding substantial ROI's with this type of upgrade.  

Please see attachment for additional information regarding the Apron Drive Crystal Bridge.

3305_711201495913.pdf

Edited by NikolaTesla

23 hours ago, NikolaTesla said:

My hometown of Wichita, KS recently built a new airport and used these glass wall jetways. They are very nice and it is nice to get rid of that whole dark dingy basement hallway feeling you get in most jetways. They actually stay pretty cool too. Kansas is a place where the sun beats down on them and the winter can hit single digits. I don't know if they climate control them somehow, but it was probably 90+ with the sun and no clouds last time I was home and they were not uncomfortable at all. Warmer, but not stuffy.

Edited by Squid7085
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Squid7085 said:

My hometown of Wichita, KS recently built a new airport and used these glass wall jetways. They are very nice and it is nice to get rid of that whole dark dingy basement hallway feeling you get in most jetways. They actually stay pretty cool too. Kansas is a place where the sun beats down on them and the winter can hit single digits. I don't know if they climate control them somehow, but it was probably 90+ with the sun and no clouds last time I was home and they were not uncomfortable at all. Warmer, but not stuffy.

Funny enough, Wichita is one of the case studies i was reading about in terms of implementation of glass jetways, since it's relatively new in terms of airport usage in the US.  Glad to hear about the pleasant experience.  I really like the way the Wichita airport turned out, simple, modern and user friendly. 

Edited by NikolaTesla

On July 22, 2016 at 0:19 AM, NikolaTesla said:

Funny enough, Wichita is one of the case studies i was reading about in terms of implementation of glass jetways, since it's relatively new in terms of airport usage in the US.  Glad to hear about the pleasant experience.  I really like the way the Wichita airport turned out, simple, modern and user friendly. 

I believe when it opened (or designed that way) it was the first airport in the US to use these jetways exclusively. It is a beautiful airport, it was hard fought locally (Planning started in the early 2000's) Small airport, but the old building was painfully inefficient. Starting from scratch just made the most sense.

Edited by Squid7085
  • Like 1

On a positive note, the C/D Admirals Club has gotten some new chairs. CLT is the red-headed stepchild when it comes to Admirals Club refurbishments (even AA employees at other hubs have commented on how CLT has been left out), but the new, more modern chairs (grey with white piping) at least make the space feel less run down. However, after enjoying the oneworld lounges (and service from Cathay and JAL) in Asia a few times in the last couple weeks, the Admirals Clubs (and really everything AA does) seem like a Super 8 compared to a Ritz-Carlton.

• Like 1

On July 28, 2016 at 10:00 PM, cltcane said:

On a positive note, the C/D Admirals Club has gotten some new chairs. CLT is the red-headed stepchild when it comes to Admirals Club refurbishments (even AA employees at other hubs have commented on how CLT has been left out), but the new, more modern chairs (grey with white piping) at least make the space feel less run down. However, after enjoying the oneworld lounges (and service from Cathay and JAL) in Asia a few times in the last couple weeks, the Admirals Clubs (and really everything AA does) seem like a Super 8 compared to a Ritz-Carlton.

Last year, I had a chance to experience the Admirals club at CLT for the first time, as I was traveling to London in AA Business.  The club itself was overcrowded and the choice of food was subpar, there is only so many blocks of cheddar cheese i can eat.  I am hoping to experience JAL's Sky Suite sometime in the near future on a flight to Tokyo.  Were you in business on JAL?

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

American closing training center in Phoenix moving jobs to CLT or DFW http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article93769892.html

They're moving the 30 jobs related to this position... I wonder if the people can choose to go to either Charlotte or Dallas or if they will be forced to go to either or and I wonder how many will choose/be forced to come to Charlotte. Feel bad for Phoenix, the writing was on the wall for this and perhaps some heavy cuts in flights as I think the 3-year requirement to maintain a hub will end in February of 2017? I feel pretty comfortable about Charlotte's standing as a major hub, the only thing that I think may change with the decline in Europe's economy is a reduction in flights to some of Charlotte's seasonal transatlantic routes... (But I think these cuts will happen from all hubs not just Charlotte)

I hate that my VERY first post is a question, and do expect the appropriate feedback: however, anyone have information on why the Antonov 124 is here, and when it will be departing?  Would be pretty cool to watch it takeoff...  Registration is UR-82009

• Like 1

I noticed that they finally changed the "Welcome to Charlotte" skyline sign as you're going down the escalators to baggage claim. It's much better than the super old one they had before. Now if only they could replace those 2 very old pics of the skyline and Lake Norman when you're walking through Concourse E.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, acman said:

I hate that my VERY first post is a question, and do expect the appropriate feedback: however, anyone have information on why the Antonov 124 is here, and when it will be departing?  Would be pretty cool to watch it takeoff...  Registration is UR-82009

welcome!

Hello,

I've recently relocated to the Charlotte area, and I have a question about the expansion onto the old rental car facility grounds. There are several versions available on the internet, but I can't tell which one is the real deal. Is it going to be an independent structure with gates all around (and underground access), or connected to the terminal or concourse A, but with its own terminal (and so gates only on one side)? Or something else?

Thanks.

They also have a bill board looking thing on the way into the airport with a picture of the new terminal design. Noticed a few weeks back that all the concrete and asphalt where the rentals used to be is gone now and crushed up.   Progress.

I also noticed a bulldozer working in the area where the new runway is supposed to go in.  

Most of the art work in E is gone now.  Wondering if its in prep. for the new construction and remodeling.   There is also a new NEON light by E1 in the ceiling, similar to the main terminal blue neon, I wonder if that is a peak at the new design.