Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong, the screens have been in CLT for awhile, but IIRC I remember hearing that new LCD screens were going to be installed throughout the terminal, so maybe they are new screens that have a new screen layout and that might of caught my attention. I swear, D1-5 never had LCD screen but the dot-matrix like thing that I thought all gates on D had.

I would also like to apologise for seeming so arrogant and patronizing that I was right. I am sorry.

Edited by Piedmont767

I didn't think that ABQ was really a seasonal destination, its interesting it such a short season.  it doesn't  seem like a seasonal flight schedule.

AIso, I  know some of you on here also post on airliners.net and want to promote CLT, but please don't say things that will only feed the troll that is mah4546.  He bashed CLT before the merger was even being talked about, now if it was up to him CLT would be cut from the system entirely.  I'm not sure what his "connections" are, but very rarely have I seen his cryptic predictions from "sources" actually come true.

I'm not actually airliners.net, but I have heavily lurked a.net for years.

MAH is a rich kid from Biscayne Bay who lives in Los Angeles, with his recently attained law degree. AA is his beloved air carrier and i'm sure that it irks him that CLT is one of the hubs.

One thing I have wondered and have not seen anything about is what will happen with the current Rental Car desks in the baggage claim? I assume they will all be torn out and maybe more seating and advertising put in but like I said I haven't seen anything.

Sorry, I did ask that question today.  Nothing happens with the space.  The comment was made that baggage claim is already too crowded, so the podiums will be removed to allow for customer movement.  Also, the small gift shop at the confluence of D/E and the main terminal (at checkpoint C) will be removed to aid in passenger movement at this bottleneck).

The comment was made that American is ready to spend the money needed to bring CLT up to par with other hubs around the country in design, finishes, and amenities needed to compete.  In no uncertain terms, I was told that three years from now, none of us will recognize the place. It's gonna be good.

AA hubs typically are above and beyond, the best terminals out there. DFW is just gorgeous.

Not sure if this has to do with the AA merger, but the Phoenix airport has recently seen a massive amount of improvements. Great new locally-based restaurants (Blanco Tacos - my fav, Humble Pie, Olive & Ivy, Deluxe Burger, and many more I can't recall). Though the airport itself is a little drab, the amenities as far as food/drink go are really fantastic. I mean, Charlotte's only local spots in CLT are Bad Daddy's (which is great), and Bojangles (does that really count, though?). I always steer people towards Bad Daddy's.

always count bojangles

I show up to the airport extra early just so I can have Bojangles and a Hop Drop and Roll before I leave. I sometimes fly home with a dozen biscuits and freeze them for when I'm homesick.

I have heard that AA will refurbished the Admirals Clubs to match LAA new standards for the clubs. Also I have heard that AA may open a third club at CLT (Why? Where? When?)

Miesian, you said that A, B and C will get new cielings, does that mean new panels or higher ceilings, or what? Personally I would like to see Sky Lights installed to let natural light into these concourses, that have low ceilings.

As for local restaurants that could open at CLT, I would like to see:

-littleSpoon

-Hazlenuts Creperie

-Pure Pizza

-Midwood Smokehouse

Edited by Piedmont767

I have heard that AA will refurbished the Admirals Clubs to match LAA new standards for the clubs. Also I have heard that AA may open a third club at CLT (Why? Where? When?)

Miesian, you said that A, B and C will get new cielings, does that mean new panels or higher ceilings, or what? Personally I would like to see Sky Lights installed to let natural light into these concourses, that have low ceilings.

As for local restaurants that could open at CLT, I would like to see:

-littleSpoon

-Hazlenuts Creperie

-Pure Pizza

-Midwood Smokehouse

Passengers are (rightfully) clamoring for a club on Concourse E (now the biggest concourse).  The airport and AA are trying to work out where exactly it could fit. BTW, the existing Admirals Club on C will get shower facilities this summer.

New ceilings means just that.  New tiles, grids, and lighting systems.  PA systems will also be updated with the project. There will be no skylights installed as part of the redo.  Remember, this is still CLT.  Our airport is famously inexpensive to operate and while it will get substantial upgrades, it will still be an all-business, nice-but-plain, kind of place.  

One of the things that's kind of cool is the new Minute Suites that will open on the A/B connector (http://www.minutesuites.com).  It offers a place to nap and/or relax while on a layover. 

Bojangles totally counts, the airport one is commonly mentioned by the broadcast crews that cover prime time Panthers games. Those guys seem to love it, and have mentioned it during multiple games. Although it is a chain, it is Charlotte based.

Anyway, I would love a skylight set-up in the terminals, they seem so dim right now.

Southwest is adding a daily nonstop flight from CLT to DAL (Dallas Love Field)

737-700. 2:15 depp from Clt and a 1:45 arrival from DAL

Appears to be replacing one of the 2x daily flights to Hou (Houston Hobby) so overall no gain.  Still good to see a new city added though.

Edited by CltFlyer

Passengers are (rightfully) clamoring for a club on Concourse E (now the biggest concourse).

Very true, one is needed for sure in E. It is a bit of a hike from the C/D lounge to get to the furthest E gates. I've only recently realized that as a frequent traveler, an Admirals Club membership is worth every penny. I use it all the time.

Platinum or other? I have been a Gold and Blue member for years, but that won't get you into that Centurion Lounge. Only Platinum ($495 annual fee).

Yea, you had to be Platinum. I actually had it when I was flying every week and the $450/yr(?) fee was worth paying since it got you into all the airport's lounges. However, I don't believe they offer that access anymore hence the Centurion lounges. Would love to see CLT get one... I'd probably upgrade my card again.