Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

It appears that from the 19th October, 4 daily flights on PHL- LHR on BA and US, are replaced with just 2 flights on US Airways. Also the schedule for CLT-LHR is erractic between October and December, some days the 2nd daily CLT-LHR operates, some days not. At this time, I am not sure whether the second CLT-LHR will remain daily, year-round or become just seasonal.

In October, PHL-DUB is operated on the 757, whilst CLT-DUB is on the A330-200. With Aer Lingus being taken over by IAG (the owner of British Airways, Iberia and Vueling) and probably re-joining oneWorld, we may see CLT-DUB going daily.

Oh, and if you are Cltfc on FlyerTalk, aka Lloyds5, who sends me condescending, harrasing private messages on FlyerTalk, I suggest you do some research on what I am saying before you attack and bully me, as what I am saying is true! =)

Where are you seeing the BA flights being cut from PHL. Still shows 2 daily, 772 and a 788.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/04/5493737/charlotte-douglas-airport-will.html#.VNObB4s0c3Q

Maybe I missed it when it was being discussed here but I thought the article's mention of increasing the gate count to "164" was interesting. I know 8 to 12 new gates will be built for the new concourse and I'm assuming the concourse E expansion will have a few more gates, but where will the remaining gates be built? Extensions of B, C, D??? This article is saying from 93 to 164 which would be 71 additional gates... That's a lot

Edited by saamh

Maybe I missed it when it was being discussed here but I thought the article's mention of increasing the gate count to "164" was interesting. I know 8 to 12 new gates will be built for the new concourse and I'm assuming the concourse E expansion will have a few more gates, but where will the remaining gates be built? Extensions of B, C, D??? This article is saying from 93 to 164 which would be 71 additional gates... That's a lot

Holy Cow! I knew that there would be some new flights from Charlotte but do the new flights warrant 71 new gates?! If the 71 gates are built then it sounds like they will be the new international concourse North of A. IRC the plan is to add a 12 gates to the end of both C & D and x amount of gates on E; but there wouldn't be 71 gates built, thats why I think they will be the new international concourse.

I'm certainly not an expert, but this seems like an awful lot of gates to me... I can't imagine AA or any airline expanding that much more here to warrant 71 more gates. Unless of course, they are completely overhauling the current concourses which is in the long term plans. They want to have them line up in parallel similar to Atlanta's airport. So they would in effect be "new" gates. 

This has probably been posted before but here it is again:  http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/News/Documents/AnnualReportCouncilPresentation.pdf

Between the Concourse E and B expansions, I count an additional 40 gates.  The new international terminal would add another 25.  I also found a note on another site that the new proposed runway would be 12,000 feet long.  Apparently, that length is required for longer distance international flights due to the added fuel weight.  You can also find info on the trajectory of future passenger traffic at CLT.  It sounds like the airport is trying to stay ahead of growth, and even spur it with a longer runway, as opposed to reacting to it.  The last two years passenger traffic grew by more than 5% each year.

Passenger count was up in 2014 to 44.3 million travelers, up 2% from 2013...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/05/5496377/charlotte-douglas-airport-breaks.html#.VNPTTcaelRk

Here is an interesting this as well that American and the other airlines are asking to continue the tax exemption that US Airways has always received...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2015/02/05/5496291/american-airlines-pushes-for-sales.html#.VNQ6b4s0c3Q

Passenger volume keeps going up but as MountainIslandLakeResident said the amount flights decreased by 2%. It will be very interesting to see if they give the tax exemptions, I am personally in favor of it if it means keeping Charlotte's airport more competitive than other larger hub cities; what our pal Rucho was quoted in the article kind of scares me a little bit in the direction they may head to... I'm sure NC's decision will definitely play a role whether the demand will be there for those additional 71 gates. I know the savings wouldn't be astronomical for the airlines now that they are making so much money but Charlotte is in a very precarious state right now. I personally would not give it to all of the airlines but I would give it to American and make it contingent on their long term plans for the airport...

Edited by saamh

You all should see the thread about the expansion on FlyerTalk they are all going crazy, tried posting the information about Scott Kirby and what he said at CLT they went ballistic, "oh never trust airline executives", blah blah blah! The thread on airliners.net is fairly respectable at the minute, expect for lines like "Oh there won't be many international flights in the future!". And our very own JetBlueCLT defended our airport and shut some of those stupid commenters up! Well Done JetBlueCLT! ;)

BTW another A330 was damaged in LHR after arriving from CLT (The flight I was workingon, no less) N273AY had some damage to the engine cowling after contact with the air bridge at Heathrow. The pilots disengaged the brakes before the chokes were in place and the aircraft rolled forward at few feat and impacted the air bridge, N273AY will be repaired in the next few days.

Edited by Piedmont767

You all should see the thread about the expansion on FlyerTalk they are all going crazy, tried posting the information about Scott Kirby and what he said at CLT they went ballistic, "oh never trust airline executives", blah blah blah! The thread on airliners.net is fairly respectable at the minute, expect for lines like "Oh there won't be many international flights in the future!". And our very own JetBlueCLT defended our airport and shut some of those stupid commenters up! Well Done JetBlueCLT! ;)

BTW another A330 was damaged in LHR after arriving from CLT (The flight I was workingon, no less) N273AY had some damage to the engine cowling after contact with the air bridge at Heathrow. The pilots disengaged the brakes before the chokes were in place and the aircraft rolled forward at few feat and impacted the air bridge, N273AY will be repaired in the next few days.

On the bright side they ripped apart ATL as an inferior city also. They act like Pheonix & Phipadelphia are backwaters even.

But most of the posters are either preteens or big ole queens who want to have a tea party on a 1.5 hour flight with fancy crystal cups & golden bread baskets.

• Like 1

On the bright side they ripped apart ATL as an inferior city also. They act like Pheonix & Phipadelphia are backwaters even.

But most of the posters are either preteens or big ole queens who want to have a tea party on a 1.5 hour flight with fancy crystal cups & golden bread baskets.

That sounds like Southwest to me! 

This has probably been posted before but here it is again:  http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Airport/News/Documents/AnnualReportCouncilPresentation.pdf

Between the Concourse E and B expansions, I count an additional 40 gates.  The new international terminal would add another 25.  I also found a note on another site that the new proposed runway would be 12,000 feet long.  Apparently, that length is required for longer distance international flights due to the added fuel weight.  You can also find info on the trajectory of future passenger traffic at CLT.  It sounds like the airport is trying to stay ahead of growth, and even spur it with a longer runway, as opposed to reacting to it.  The last two years passenger traffic grew by more than 5% each year.

Has anyone ever seen a long term plan for the airport? Like a real document, not just a presentation to Council?

Has anyone ever seen a long term plan for the airport? Like a real document, not just a presentation to Council?

The presentation on Monday to the Council is to report the findings of the new long term plan.  See page 5 of the agenda.  Hopefully the plan will be released to the public in April.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/Documents/Agendas/2015/02.09.15.pdf

Synopsis

The Airport Master Plan Update was adopted in 1997. The Airport contracted with Landrum & Brown Aviation Consultants in December

2013 to simultaneously prepare Airfield and Terminal Capacity Enhancement Plans (ACEP/TCEP) to address forecasted demand over the next 20 years at CLT. Together these documents represent an update to the Airport’s Master Plan.

Over the past year, a working group comprised of Airport staff, the Federal Aviation Administration, the airlines, and a consultant conducted a series of five stakeholder meetings to facilitate the design, analysis, and decision-making for the capacity study.

The ACEP/TCEP will be released in April 2015 with the following recommendations: - Airfield enhancements to include a fourth parallel runway and additional

taxiways to enhance safety and improve aircraft movement; and - Terminal enhancements designed to accommodate the forecasted demand of

both domestic and international growth for the hub airline as well as other

airlines, increasing the current gate count from 93 to 164. A key deliverable of the study is the update of the federally-mandated Airport

Layout Plan (ALP). The ALP is a set of drawings that shows the near-term, intermediate, and long-term facilities for an airport. The ALP is a key component to the Airport’s master planning and federal funding processes.

Below is a link to a presentation from 2 years ago which shows proposed gate expansions, runways and other facilities.

http://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Economic_pdfs/Presentations/CLT_Presentation_3-13.pdf

Edited by MountainIslandLakeResident
  • Like 1

It was my pleasure!:) I usually been keeping my lid shut on anet because I'm bound to hear it from all the MIA fanboys and the rest of the CLT hater gang. My blood was at a boiling point when I read that.

• Like 3

The presentation on Monday to the Council is to report the findings of the new long term plan.  See page 5 of the agenda.  Hopefully the plan will be released to the public in April.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/Documents/Agendas/2015/02.09.15.pdf

Synopsis

 The Airport Master Plan Update was adopted in 1997.  The Airport contracted with Landrum & Brown Aviation Consultants in December

2013 to simultaneously prepare Airfield and Terminal Capacity Enhancement Plans (ACEP/TCEP) to address forecasted demand over the next 20 years at CLT. Together these documents represent an update to the Airport’s Master Plan.

 Over the past year, a working group comprised of Airport staff, the Federal Aviation Administration, the airlines, and a consultant conducted a series of five stakeholder meetings to facilitate the design, analysis, and decision-making for the capacity study.

 The ACEP/TCEP will be released in April 2015 with the following recommendations: - Airfield enhancements to include a fourth parallel runway and additional

taxiways to enhance safety and improve aircraft movement; and - Terminal enhancements designed to accommodate the forecasted demand of

both domestic and international growth for the hub airline as well as other

airlines, increasing the current gate count from 93 to 164.  A key deliverable of the study is the update of the federally-mandated Airport

Layout Plan (ALP). The ALP is a set of drawings that shows the near-term, intermediate, and long-term facilities for an airport. The ALP is a key component to the Airport’s master planning and federal funding processes.

Below is a link to a presentation from 2 years ago which shows proposed gate expansions, runways and other facilities.

http://charlottechamber.com/clientuploads/Economic_pdfs/Presentations/CLT_Presentation_3-13.pdf

Thanks. The second link is what I was looking for.

Ely posted a "2025 vision" for the airport per a meeting tonight with CLT airport officials. Concourse "A" looks like it's taking on a life of its own with the upcoming "Annex concourse" that will go where the old rental car facility is now.

B9cDRMIIcAETJmP.jpg

https://twitter.com/ESPortillo/status/564923877839872002

Edited by wend28
  • Like 2

So much for a new international terminal. Looks like the new terminal(s)?? will be all domestic. Only 17 International gates total over half of which will be narrow body only...yikes. Only 8 Wide body gates, not much more than what we have now.

What it looks like to me, is that D will eventually become a domestic part of terminal, as I can only count 6 aircraft drawn around present-day D. Bare in mind, that you can juggle schedules around, so if Qatar and JAL do decide to launch service to CLT, their aircraft could be in and out of the new widebody gates before the European evening rush. That's how we did it with GRU and GIG, the aircraft bound for Brazil would always board from D, becuase the aircraft to Europe had already departed and had freed up gate space on D.

Actually we will have 12 wide-body gates, four domestic and eight international, that is if I can see the map properly, or I need my prescription changed for my glasses. Personally I think that we will be building a new international concourse with 5 more international gates then we currently have (Wasn't the original master plan to have 20-25 international gets) and have D for domestic use.

Edited by Piedmont767

^^If you go to that Twitter link I had on there, Ely did mention that a post 10 year plan is a satellite terminal with 40 gates and an underground people mover ... I'm guessing they could add more international gates there, or move some domestic gates there to be replaced by international ones at the main terminal. 

Edited by wend28