Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Flights operated to EGE (Vail) for several years on B757s. The route was suspended due to 757 retirements and the need to convert domestic 757s to ETOPS 757s. If US was able to operate airbus equipment into EGE, the route would still here today.

I never understood the addition of TUS. I think the flight lasted about 6 months. ABQ (Albuquerque) would have made much more sense.

There are going to be new seasonal flights from Charlotte to St. Augustine, Florida on ViaAir starting December 19th and running to January 20th on certain days between those dates. 

http://m.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/12/04/st-augustine-airport-to-get-new-direct-flights-to.html?r=full

Interesting add. At least it's something different. 

Edited by USAir767

Flights operated to EGE (Vail) for several years on B757s. The route was suspended due to 757 retirements and the need to convert domestic 757s to ETOPS 757s. If US was able to operate airbus equipment into EGE, the route would still here today.

I never understood the addition of TUS. I think the flight lasted about 6 months. ABQ (Albuquerque) would have made much more sense.

It was about competition.  Delta flew (actually, it still flies) a daily TUS-ATL non-stop.  

^Point taken.

On a different note, it will be interesting to see the implication the low cost of oil has on the aviation industry, and how it will affect CLT.

I picked up some family members at the airport the other day, and they kept talking about how nice the new deck is, and it looks pretty upon landing at night.

They have put out the RFQ to bid for the Construction of the A North Concourse. This is only for Phase 1 of the project which is about 150,000 sq ft. This first phase will be for roughly 1/3 of the full A North Concourse or about 8 gates.

The winner of the RFQ is expected to be announced in Feb 2015 and work start shortly after that.

• Like 1

That is what they are calling it in the RFQ documents. I don't know what they will actually call it when it opens.

I agree with you that it would make sense to just call it F.

Except that for people unfamiliar with the airport, having F as far away as possible from E would be confusing. Not saying that I have much of a better idea, but A North at least keeps the order of the concourses in place.

I've seen weirder stuff, though. I'm in Phoenix right now and their airport has Terminal 2, Terminal 3, and Terminal 4, but no Terminal 1. But who knows...maybe they were thinking ahead for expansion in both directions? I've also been to an airport (can't remember which one) that had a Terminal 1, Terminal 2, and Terminal 4, but no Terminal 3. Weird.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/fourth-runway-tops-clt-wish-list.html

I'm surprised this article didn't get posted.  It is a comprehensive summary of the airport expansion.    I do hope the 4th runway progresses because in many ways the rest of the airport is moot without the actual runways themselves.   

Indeed, helpful roundup. Also enjoyed this:

"We've had massive growing pains," Cagle said. "I think we've done a pretty good job under the circumstances. But we focused on the necessities: lights on, doors open, getting people to the planes. We didn't always do it in the most elegant way. Sometimes it wasn't pretty. Now we're looking at how we can improve on that."
  • Like 1

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2014/12/fourth-runway-tops-clt-wish-list.html

I'm surprised this article didn't get posted. It is a comprehensive summary of the airport expansion. I do hope the 4th runway progresses because in many ways the rest of the airport is moot without the actual runways themselves.

. The gradual evolution of CLT from a large airport to a multi-modal trade hub is one of the biggest developments that doesn't receive much fanfare & has the most game changing potential of any thing going on in the QC

I'm surprised this article didn't get posted.  It is a comprehensive summary of the airport expansion.    I do hope the 4th runway progresses because in many ways the rest of the airport is moot without the actual runways themselves.   

Of all the expansions they hit.  Absolutely nothing about the new terminal in that article.

Edited by CltFlyer

Of all the expansions they hit.  Absolutely nothing about the new terminal in that article.

A North is the new terminal.  It will be built in sections.  The eight new gates are needed immediately, so they will be built with a temporary connector to A concourse.

The current ticketing hall will be expanded in 2017 when the new roadways are completed.

A North is the new terminal.  It will be built in sections.  The eight new gates are needed immediately, so they will be built with a temporary connector to A concourse.

The current ticketing hall will be expanded in 2017 when the new roadways are completed.

Yes, and correct me If I just glanced over it.  But, I don't believe anything about A North was mentioned in that article.

Lots of airports have mismatched Concourses/Terminals. ORD has Concourses B-M, but no Concourse D, I or J.  MIA has no Concourses A/B/C but Concourses E-J, skipping I.

Is there really a need for a new parallel runway, other than for noise abatement purposes? I'd rather see the Terminal Lobby expansion expedited, along with the new control tower. Glad to see that new lease negotiations with AA are apparently going well, as their new lease could foreshadow their future operations at CLT.

I'm surprised rumors of QR and other carriers at CLT hasn't really been heard publically.