Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

MC-do you know what else the concourse renovation includes?

From the airport's facebook page:  CLT is scheduled to begin $32 million of terminal renovations in 2015. Ceiling and floor tiles will be replaced. Lighting, mechanical and electrical upgrades are also being planned. This will be the biggest renovation project in the terminal’s 32-year history. The addition will also encompass CLT’s new inline baggage system, which is currently being installed. 

AA will also renovate the gate areas at the same time, replacing signage, podiums, and customer seating.

Edit: the new A/B connector is scheduled to open in December.  

Edited by Miesian Corners

Carpet makes the concourses much quieter and is more comfortable to stand on, but obviously maintenance costs would go through the roof in such a high-traffic area. I would hope to see them put down a terrazzo floor, but that's got it's own maintenance costs and sometimes there are restrictions to retrofitting existing construction.

I thought that terrazzo flooring couldn't be installed in B/C due to the way the flooring was built.

I think you are right.  Jerry Orr talked about this at an Airport Advisory Committee meeting 2 years ago.  Start at the bottom of page 9, through top of page 10:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/airport/aboutclt/documents/aac%20minutes/2012%20aac%20minutes/aacmay2012minutes.pdf

Riolo: For the hard floor composites we have in places like the Atrium, what is the cost differential between that and the carpet? Is it still too great to put that down on the concourses? 

Orr: No, it’s a couple of things...
  • Like 1

What's the good part?

Good part? Sorry it was a spelling mistkae, it should of said "Got". But there is actually good news I need to look a schedules more closely, service to Rome will resume Tuesday 14th April instead of Saturday 28th March. Service between 28th March and 14th April has been zeroed out.

I APOLOGISE FOR SPREADING WRONG INFORMATION!

Edited by Piedmont767

I think you are right.  Jerry Orr talked about this at an Airport Advisory Committee meeting 2 years ago.  Start at the bottom of page 9, through top of page 10:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/airport/aboutclt/documents/aac%20minutes/2012%20aac%20minutes/aacmay2012minutes.pdf

Riolo: For the hard floor composites we have in places like the Atrium, what is the cost differential between that and the carpet? Is it still too great to put that down on the concourses? 

Orr: No, it’s a couple of things...

This is true.  The floor system is prefab and has a good deal of bounce to it.  From what I understand, they will be installing terrazzo-type solid surface flooring that doesn't crack.  Instead of being poured in place, it comes in sections.  

So just to be clear we did not lose Rome right??

No, once again I apologise for spreading wrong information.

Just out of curiosity, what new destinations would you like to see added from CLT. Personally I would like to see added:

Vancouver (YVR) on American

São Paulo (GRU) on American (I think this will happen again next year)

Rio de Janeiro (GIG) on American (Seasonal operation though)

Doha (DOH) on Qatar

Tokyo (NRT) on American or Japan Air Lines

Edited by Piedmont767

Didn't someone post that Qatar's 788's have no pilot rest area so it would not be feasible to fly this aircraft on ultra long-haul routes like CLT-DOH?

One thing to remember with Qatar Airways is that the new Hamad airport is about to open up the remaining gates allowing additional aircraft capacity. The fighting between Emirates, Etihad and Qatar is quite fierce with each airline going after many of the same destinations to try to build a 'world class airport' to support their 'world class city.'  Keep in mind that Qatar Airways has 50 orders for 777 and 46 orders for 787, and 77 orders for variants of the A-350. That's over 150 new planes! Those planes are going to fly somewhere beyond daily service to current One World hubs in Dallas, Philly and Miami.

While I'd recommend a stopover in Dubai over Doha, I could see them announcing a flight to Charlotte on a new aircraft due to the strong connectivity that exists within the area. Most of these flights from America to DXB, DOH, or AUH aren't for people that are staying there. When I flew from IAD to DOH I was one of five people who did not transfer on my flight to another destination (most folks are headed to points in Africa or India).

Their models are built on extreme long-range flights and a high number of transfers. Oh, and oil is VERY cheap for them.

That's correct about the 787. No crew module installed. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 787, IMHO.

Regarding PDX, the A320 is probably just used as a placeholder. The final summer schedule isn't out until sometime later this Winter.

Agreed, not having a crew module does defeat the purpose of QR flying the 788 on ultra-long and thin routes.  Since O&D between CLT-DOH is minimal at best, will there be enough connecting pax to make the A359 or 772 worthwhile on this route? 

Edited by ChessieCat

The new Hourly is open RIGHT NOW!!  

http://charmeck.org//city/charlotte/Airport/Parking/Pages/HourlyParking.aspx

I cannot remember the last time I was so excited about a new parking garage.

Is it just me or does the new parking deck seem to sit fairly far back from the main terminal?  Is this to make room for an expanded departures drop off area?

Edited by CltFlyer