Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

But, the problem lies in that if he builds up everything there may not be any room left for a grocery store. Creates a problem really .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well if the average Joe compared the size of one of this chain's store to other traditional grocery stores, he would see that the Trade off in size would be considerable. These stores are smaller niche stores, usually smaller than Fresh Market. And because that it would have a buzz around the opening, I know that they would not have to many problems in being a regional draw for people all over Tidewater. It surprises me that they are not trying to get something like this (or its very expensive competitor) in Ghent or downtown. However, if one comes, others may follow...

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My feeling is that the problem here would be is that this would be an urban market with not much parking up close so people living away might not be too enticed to have to drive and then park in a garage to go shopping for groceries - of course this is only my take.

I too am glad about the bricking cause otherwise it might look like a huge white icecube lol. It looks nice with the bricking though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The white cladding can come across as a bit stark, I agree. If you'll notice, there are sections of buff colored material here and there rising vertically from above the brick to the top floors. This element serves to break up the visual plane (white cube) a bit. The only serious issue that I have with Town Center's architecture is with the very austere AH Tower garage facade along Virginia Beach Blvd.

The white cladding can come across as a bit stark, I agree. If you'll notice, there are sections of buff colored material here and there rising vertically from above the brick to the top floors.  This element serves to break up the visual plane (white cube) a bit.  The only serious issue that I have with Town Center's architecture is with the very austere AH Tower garage facade along Virginia Beach Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I agree completely. Let's hope the Westin does indeed 'compliment' the other white buildings as such. I think it would be nice to see a glass tower go up in the area.

My feeling is that the problem here would be is that this would be an urban market with not much parking up close so people living away might not be too enticed to have to drive and then park in a garage to go shopping for groceries - of course this is only my take.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point, and this brings us to a more general criticism of TC: The lack available storefront parking. Many TC's across the country have been built in the 'burbs as "lifestyle centers." These projects usually offer ample parking close to the storefronts in a village type format (similiar to the outlets in Williamsburg). However, the VBTC is being built in an urban environment, and with an urban environment come space limitations. There are many people who would prefer to be able to park closer to their destination in case of inclement weather or physical limitation. I agree that some might be reluctant to drive to TC solely to shop for groceries there, seeing as how they would have to park in the garage, walk to the store and then lug the groceries all the way back to the parking garage. So, for those non-resident TC grocery shoppers, the grocery shopping experience would more likely be in conjunction with (read: after) a visit to one of the restaurants or fashion retailers--either as a planned trip or as an afterthought. Of course, for those who are lucky enough to live in TC, the walk would be nothing short of a pleasure!

Mr. Divaris has had serious discussions with an upscale grocery chain about locating its first (and only) store in the region at Town Center. Since I don't have permission, I won't name the store. However, suffice it to say that the average Joe might just trade in his local Farm Fresh for this baby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm...sounds like a ukrops to me.

"an average JOE might want to TRADE his fram fresh" sounds like Ukrops to you? LOL LOL LOL LOL :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've just heard various people raving about ukrops on this site for the past few months and it isn't currently in the area so to me it fits the description

I've just heard various people raving about ukrops on this site for the past few months and it isn't currently in the area so to me it fits the description

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want no UKrops here, they really suck. I don't know why people love those grocery stores up there in Richmond so much. I was not impressed and I think that we could do alot better than UKrops.

Anyone ever been to a Trader Joes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to many TJ's. In NoVa and Maryland there are a few that are in "urban settings" (read: they rely on parking garages). They let the shoppers take their carts out to the garages and the garages are usually on the same floor as the store so it's really not that much of a stretch for people to go there.

The store itself is usually the size of a small grocery, not a full sized place. They have all kinds of cool stuff. It really fits in with this area more than a Whole Foods would.

Here is the website:

Trader Joe's

I'm new to the site. Grew up at the Beach. Now I'm in Cali. I've been looking at the posts for the last couple weeks. I dig what's snowballing from the Westin and Granby towers. Now to business.

I doubt Ukrop's would be the store because it's no better than Fram Fresh or Harris Teeter. Trader Joe's is a good guess considering the hints. Jose is not that fancy of a place. The food is actually reasonably priced; cheaper than Teeter's actually. That makes me wonder if it could be a Whole Foods? That place is on the level of the Food of all Nations that failed in the shopping center across from PA. With all the upscale development taking place in Pembroke, Food of all Nations (or as we called it in Cville, Food of Inflation) would succeed now. So would a Whole Foods.

Yes, any upscale store would be ok with me personally. I just wonder right now could one do the business it needs to turn a profit. Pembroke is not an affluent area - yet. It will surely be a lot different though after the Cosmo, Westin, City Walk and City view are in place.

Is there any truth to TC website about Columbus One getting a new look (i.e. whitewashing the red granite)?  It just seems that all the buildings in TC are going with a uniform white and beige scheme.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes this is true. I'm unsure of the timetable however. I would prefer it to be left alone personally. It adds a little variety.

Here are a couple of pics I took last summer. I think the idea was to try to make the building look more urban versus suburban. Also, one side of the building where the Comso office is (the south side) has blue awnings. The others may too but not sure.

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01901.jpg

Yeah, and we need some variety. Why change the only piece of "history" in this "downtown"? It was the founding building, correct? leave it alone I say.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always liked that building. I did internship type work at PaineWebber a few years ago for one of their brokers. It was pretty boring, but the building was nice.

Archived