Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

I wouldn't doubt it at all that perhaps some people thought the Cosmo was a great place and then they noticed the sign go up for the Westin. I mean where else can you live in a true skyscraper in VB? LOL. Those of means prolly jumped at the chance.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't doubt it at all that perhaps some people thought the Cosmo was a great place and then they noticed the sign go up for the Westin. I mean where else can you live in a true skyscraper in VB? LOL. Those of means prolly jumped at the chance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be surprised 'cause I myself would have flown the coup of the 14th floor of the Cosmo in favor of the 37th floor of the Westin at the chance.

Great response is great but I'm a little disappointed by how many reservations have been made in the past 7  months. I thought someone here said that the cosmo already had reservations to fill a majority of the tower. What gives? Did the Westin take some customers or something? Oh well, at least there's 50 already meaning that building is 1/7 taken and I'm sure if the Westin runs out of space, people will revert back to the Cosmo. I sure like that building. The Cosmo just has this feeling and style that draws my admiration of it  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Divaris and Drucker and Faulk (leasing agents/developers for the Cosmo), typical unit leasing patterns demonstrate that most consumers commit to signing an apartment lease only 30-60 days prior to their move-in target date. The Cosmo won't be ready until October for the very first lucky few, with full delivery in early '06. All things considered and this being only early June, fifty (50) signed leases makes for a terrific start!

According to Divaris and Drucker and Faulk (leasing agents/developers for the Cosmo), typical unit leasing patterns demonstrate that most consumers commit to signing an apartment lease only 30-60 days prior to their move-in target date.  The Cosmo won't be ready until October for the very first lucky few, with full delivery in early '06.  All things considered and this being only early June,  fifty (50) signed leases makes for a terrific start!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, when it's put like that it sounds excellent. With only 119 condos to lease in Westin they must be doing well with that too. I mean if Granby can get 300 of 309 close to spoken for i'm sure Westin will have no prob filling 119 by opening date.

Wow, when it's put like that it sounds excellent. With only 119 condos to lease in Westin they must be doing well with that too. I mean if Granby can get 300 of 309 close to spoken for i'm sure Westin will have no prob filling 119 by opening date.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Did you notice the pricing at Residences at Westin? The website says 450K (800 sq ft) to 2M plus (4000 sq ft)? The paper said 400K-2M. Granby Tower starts at 250K (1 br of unk size) which seems a much more enticing price point for most folks. We'll just have to wait and see if Westin's high prices hold.

I agree. Did you notice the pricing at Residences at Westin? The website says 450K (800 sq ft) to 2M plus (4000 sq ft)? The paper said 400K-2M. Granby Tower starts at 250K (1 br of unk size) which seems a much more enticing price point for most folks. We'll just have to wait and see if Westin's high prices hold.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, i'm surprised they went back done to 800ft too, it used to be 2200. As far as banks and financing goes i think they usually require about 20% spoken for before you can start construction. I believe since they've settled on a general construction date that

they probably at least have that amount spoken for in terms of serious interest.

Today I noticed they had a little construction going on (or will soon) so just a few construction pics.

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02230.jpg

This is the longest crane in recent memory. The boom is almost as long as the Cosmo. :huh:

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

coming soon!

DSC02234.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

That's it for now.

The cosmo is going to look great when it is finished. Very attractive building. Aren't they suppose to put some kind of retail there? I bet the people moving into there would love a grocery store on the bottom floor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yes definitely. Retail will be on the bottom though I am not sure really how much. I am pretty sure the side facing the AH tower will prolly be all retail but other than that not sure. I agree it would be great for a grocery store but I am not sure if there is enough residents (or will be) to sustain one. :blush:

Oh yes definitely. Retail will be on the bottom though I am not sure really how much. I am pretty sure the side facing the AH tower will prolly be all retail but other than that not sure. I agree it would be great for a grocery store but I am not sure if there is enough residents (or will be) to sustain one.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There would be with the Westin a block away!!!

True! I wonder if folks would actually walk to pick up groceries.. in VB? LOL. Well, it would be nice. In DT Norfolk there is a little grocery type store in the bottom floor of those condos located on Bousch. I stopped there once to buy some batteries for my camera.

They are also putting a very high end grocery store in the bottom of Harbor Heights. Gene Walters which will be owned by Farm Fresh. I wonder how well it will do. With all this development i can't wait to here a f500 company come here. Hopefully more than one.

Well, with all of this development going on we have a lot to offer someone relocating. Plus we do have an educated workforce as well. I can really see Norfolk being a smaller Charlotte one day - but with way more character.

The cosmo is going to look great when it is finished. Very attractive building. Aren't they suppose to put some kind of retail there? I bet the people moving into there would love a grocery store on the bottom floor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Divaris has had serious discussions with an upscale grocery chain about locating its first (and only) store in the region at Town Center. Since I don't have permission, I won't name the store. However, suffice it to say that the average Joe might just trade in his local Farm Fresh for this baby.

Average Joe huh???!!! So think they - a grocery store- will come here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure at this point. I sure hope so. By all accounts, The Fresh Market has thrived at Hilltop, albeit with better demographics than those of Pembroke. Harris Teeter has grown slowly but steadily here and is now building a beautiful anchor store behind the VB Courthouse. So, you'd think we'd be on someone else's radar screen by this point.

Not sure at this point.  I sure hope so. By all accounts, The Fresh Market has thrived at Hilltop, albeit with better demographics than those of Pembroke.  Harris Teeter has grown slowly but steadily here and is now building a beautiful anchor store behind the VB Courthouse. So,  you'd think we'd be on someone else's radar screen by this point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well they may need more critical mass before locating. If not now maybe after the Cosmo and Westin is full plus City Walk as well.. oh and City View too.

Well they may need more critical mass before locating. If not now maybe after the Cosmo and Westin is full plus City Walk as well.. oh and City View too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. Your instincts are quite keen. This is one of the difficulties with phased developments.

But, the problem lies in that if he builds up everything there may not be any room left for a grocery store. Creates a problem really .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. You end up having to decide whether to hold a prime retail location for a "dream" tenant (sometimes for years) who refuses to commit until everything is just perfect, or to release the space (and/or break it up) to "lesser" entities who are willing to come on board sooner. As you say, critical mass is key here. Very few prime fashion retailers are willing to open on a "dead street." Ann Taylor Loft agreed to open very early on the Plaza at the behest of Mr. Divaris, and in large part because there was a clause in their lease at Lynnhaven that put a deadline on their ability to expand in the region. Loft decided to act quickly on Town Center because failure to act on the matter would have forced all of their eggs into one basket at Lynnhaven.

interesting. Did you see the large crane there today at TC? I have a few photos of it here in this thread. Just wondering if it is for further construction at the Cosmo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I believe the crane is for the Cosmo. That building is looking quite nice I think. I especially like the fact that AH decided to bring the brick skirting up quite a bit higher than originally depicted.

Yes, I believe the crane is for the Cosmo. That building is looking quite nice I think. I especially like the fact that AH decided to bring the brick skirting up quite a bit higher than originally depicted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too am glad about the bricking cause otherwise it might look like a huge white icecube lol. It looks nice with the bricking though.

Archived