The Hillsborough (Reynolds Tower)

monsoon

It's funny how the parts away from the street went down really fast, but as they get closer to the street edge they have to do it more delicately. They've even put little "shelters" around the red-light cameras and the US 401 sign at Morgan to keep them from being damaged. :lol:

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took some pictures Monday morning, but they look the same as ChiefJoJo's, with a couple taken from the Morgan corridor. Lately I've been coming home late enough that 40 to South Raleigh has been managable vs. Wade Ave/Capitol/Morgan. This has kept me from watching the progress on the building deconstruction, but now I'm glad I'm not getting stuck in that traffic.

Hopefully constuction will be "contained" on site and off of Dawson like Park Dev., the Dawson on Morgan, and Hue have been, but since it is taller, Dawson might lose a lane when the crane goes up. The Reynolds have land to spare on the western part of the block, so hopefully the on-street impact will be minimal.

The fire station is only two blocks away, but it is the "wrong" way on Dawson. Does the placement of fire hydrants prohibit parking fire trucks on Morgan and/or Hillsborough?

I'm very familiar with the management at the Saucer (I frequent the place a lot... lol)... I actually mentioned this Reynolds project to them in the early part of the year, figuring that it might impact them significantly. At the time they were not aware of that, nor the Winston hotel tower proposed for the other corner. It's worth mentioning that the Flying Saucer does not own that building that they're in, they lease it. However, they don't have plans to go anywhere until someone tells them the property is being razed and it's time to move out. If that were to happen, I wouldn't mind seeing them over on Glenwood... but at the same time, I like the current location. Parking isn't as much a challenge around there as it is in a lot of other locations nearby.

I'm very familiar with the management at the Saucer (I frequent the place a lot... lol)... I actually mentioned this Reynolds project to them in the early part of the year, figuring that it might impact them significantly. At the time they were not aware of that, nor the Winston hotel tower proposed for the other corner. It's worth mentioning that the Flying Saucer does not own that building that they're in, they lease it. However, they don't have plans to go anywhere until someone tells them the property is being razed and it's time to move out. If that were to happen, I wouldn't mind seeing them over on Glenwood... but at the same time, I like the current location. Parking isn't as much a challenge around there as it is in a lot of other locations nearby.

^Sounds right. You can still see those old "fallout shelter" signs on a few buildings here and there.

I doubt they'd be that reliable in an actual nuclear war, and were posted more for the public's ease-of-mind than anything. (Same era where they told kids to hide under their school desks if they heard the air-raid siren. :lol: )

Yeah, I'm thinking that it might have been a designated room inside (either basement or ground floor) that had extra thick concrete walls. We actually had a bomb shelter room at a radio station I used to work at (it was probably built in the 50's), although like Rob said, I don't think it would have offered mouch protection against a nuclear blast. It made for a great audio production room though! lol

So it looks like the site is cleared out now... I'd like to think this project will move fluidly from one phase to the next, being that it's taken the Reynolds' long enough to get moving on it. Has anyone said whether there's any retail going into this building? With The Borough next door, and Hue going up on the next block, it seems like Dawson Street could evolve into a nice small stretch of busy evening businesses to help link downtown and Glenwood South.

post-1457-1198791841_thumb.jpg

I found this photo on Kling Stubbins website, and arch. firm doing some work on the The Hillsborough. Now this photo did not say that this was an actual rendering but, by looking at previous renderings and the site plan I have a gut feeling this is an actual rendering for The Hillsborough. If I am wrong... Sorry!!!

post-1457-1198791841_thumb.jpg

Archived