Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I think a $3 toll on 895 is much more justifiable than the .50 I pay every day on the downtown expressway. I can't imagine that stretch of road isn't paid-for ten-times-over by now.

It would have been if it were used. The amount of traffic that was expected never happened.

By "stretch of road," I was referring to the downtown expressway. I can't imagine there isn't enough traffic there to have paid it off tenfold.

There was once a similar toll on the Virginia Beach to Norfolk Expressway (now I-264). They closed it down and VDOT let the state see how much money they actually lost in doing so. The road hasnt been repaved since. The tolls should stay simply to help maintain the roads and then help improve them as needed.

By "stretch of road," I was referring to the downtown expressway. I can't imagine there isn't enough traffic there to have paid it off tenfold.

jb, I think Shak is correct about the failure of the Downtown Expressway to achieve the level of traffic originally expected.

jb, I think Shak is correct about the failure of the Downtown Expressway to achieve the level of traffic originally expected.

I was not referring to the Downtown Expressway. I was referring to the 895.

...and the new owners have no intentions to make it "I-895". If they did, part of the tolls would have to go to the Feds. (Same reason why the Jersey Turnpike does not have an interstate designation until Newark, NJ.)

It appears that work has finally started on the flyover project in the vicinity of both parking garage exits and Airport Road.

What is this flyover project? I was curious of to why they were tearing up the trees, and after flying back from barren Arizona, seeing trees coming down almost upset me ;)

What is this flyover project? I was curious of to why they were tearing up the trees, and after flying back from barren Arizona, seeing trees coming down almost upset me ;)

That mess of intersections where the trees have come down has been cclassified as a hazard by the airport authority. A couple of flyovers will be in order to keep traffic moving, rather than stopping to yield traffic. I find this smart move since RIC's passenger traffic has tremendously increased.

If some of you recall, a new parking garage will be built north of the North Garage. These series of flyover will need to be built before the new garage opens. This is just my opinion since there will be additional exits from the garage onto Airport (Rd, Dr, whatever).

Edited by Shakman

That mess of intersections where the trees have come down has been cclassified as a hazard by the airport authority. A couple of flyovers will be in order to keep traffic moving, rather than stopping to yield traffic. I find this smart move since RIC's passenger traffic has tremendously increased.

If some of you recall, a new parking garage will be built north of the North Garage. These series of flyover will need to be built before the new garage opens. This is just my opinion since there will be additional exits from the garage onto Airport (Rd, Dr, whatever).

I like the sound of that. I can most definitely see where that intersection could be a hassle. Thankfully, I usually fly at quieter times, so I never have a problem there, but with the passengers number rising, it would be in the near future.

Edited by Icetera

I thought I had read that the Downtown Expressway Smart Tag booths were the 2nd or 3rd most used in the entire state. That doesn't necessarily directly correlate to total traffic count, but it's still a good indicator that the highway is heavily used.

I thought I had read that the Downtown Expressway Smart Tag booths were the 2nd or 3rd most used in the entire state. That doesn't necessarily directly correlate to total traffic count, but it's still a good indicator that the highway is heavily used.

That's encouraging news, Hokie. Everytime I've been on the DT Expressway I could count the traffic on two hands -- though admittedly I usually use it on my infrequent visits at off hours. But compared to Powhite and 195, even at those times there are few cars heading to or from downtown.

And, in defense of the Pocahontas Pkway, I will say that I also check out 895 everytime I'm in town, and I have noted increased traffic each time.

I am curious about the status of the proposed airport connector from 895 to the terminal.

Are you now at N/G Meadowview on the James, Hokie?

Edited by burt

There was a wire-report story with contributions from the RTD's Chip Jones yesterday titled "Regional flights are improved". It says that business and first-class travelers may be growing tired of 50-seat jets and perhaps are willing to pay extra for better flight experiences.

Delta, Northwest and other lines are adding new 75+ seat planes offering dual class seating soon on many routes. US Airways is using larger regional jets in the RIC/CLT market and airport spokesman Troy Bell says more airlines could follow suit. He says, "we're seeing the average number of seats per departure increase." Currently, per plane load is 74 seats compared to 69 last July.

Some airlines are adding business class to regional service, such as United between Richmond and Dulles Airport.

If you want to read more of this story, it is on the July 6th Business page at inRich.

All the publicity about Boeing's new 787 claims that it can land in most airports. Wonder if RIC will ever host one?

With at least 650 of them already ordered, and being the most effecient plane ever produced... I cant see how RIC wont ever see them. In fact the plane is built to eliminate minor airport to hub airport hops, and instead re-introduce direct flights.

Hey, Eric! You will like this piece from today's TD by Chip Jones about the almost finished airport terminal. I wish I knew how to make the slide show work, but all I can get is thumb shots and no sound.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...07-15-0121.html

Haha! It works now.

Thanks burt, for directing me here. I did get to see the video and it was a nice report. I've conversed with Troy Bell a few times via email and he's a pretty nice individual from what I can gather, but sometimes he takes a while to respond since I suspect that he's a busy man these days. The airport really looks like a pleasant place to fly in and out of - which is so hard to find these days with the larger airports - most people dread the larger airports (I know from personal experience lately while flying my family and I to Atlanta from LAX and back - still not back yet, but I'm dreading the hustle and bustle and the difficulties in the security lines, etc.) At RIC, you don't have all of that, so I'm sure that RIC is a "breath of fresh air" for travelers used to using larger airports. This is not a bad thing and likely bodes well for RIC with many air travelers coming from Washington DC, Norfolk and other parts of the central east coast to fly in and out of RIC to catch flights from airlines like Skybus. BTW, Skybus still appears to be holding its own in Richmond. Sure, it's not the most popular route they fly (I believe LA and Miami are), but from tickets sales, it looks to be doing OK. I'd still like to see another flight in and out of Richmond in addition to the single flight early in the morning. I'm also keeping an close eye on the Air Tran/Midwest Airlines merger...or the possibility of it. I think a successful merger would be good for Richmond. I'm still baffled about why US Airways has not added western flights from Richmond yet, but I'm sure they have a good reason. I'm sure that if I were to look at their finances right now, that might be a good indication of why. We might just have to be patient here and hopefully something will happen soon. It can only get better as passenger counts increase at RIC and more airlines begin to take notice. In the mean time, I'll just be cheering for increased passenger growth at RIC! That's what will drive all the other factors at the airport to include any runway expansions/building, increased flights (to include western/international destinations), more gate expansions, more airlines attracted to the airport, etc.

Edited by eandslee

Thanks burt, for directing me here. I did get to see the video and it was a nice report. I've conversed with Troy Bell a few times via email and he's a pretty nice individual from what I can gather, but sometimes he takes a while to respond since I suspect that he's a busy man these days. The airport really looks like a pleasant place to fly in and out of - which is so hard to find these days with the larger airports - most people dread the larger airports (I know from personal experience lately while flying my family and I to Atlanta from LAX and back - still not back yet, but I'm dreading the hustle and bustle and the difficulties in the security lines, etc.) At RIC, you don't have all of that, so I'm sure that RIC is a "breath of fresh air" for travelers used to using larger airports. This is not a bad thing and likely bodes well for RIC with many air travelers coming from Washington DC, Norfolk and other parts of the central east coast to fly in and out of RIC to catch flights from airlines like Skybus. BTW, Skybus still appears to be holding its own in Richmond. Sure, it's not the most popular route they fly (I believe LA and Miami are), but from tickets sales, it looks to be doing OK. I'd still like to see another flight in and out of Richmond in addition to the single flight early in the morning. I'm also keeping an close eye on the Air Tran/Midwest Airlines merger...or the possibility of it. I think a successful merger would be good for Richmond. I'm still baffled about why US Airways has not added western flights from Richmond yet, but I'm sure they have a good reason. I'm sure that if I were to look at their finances right now, that might be a good indication of why. We might just have to be patient here and hopefully something will happen soon. It can only get better as passenger counts increase at RIC and more airlines begin to take notice. In the mean time, I'll just be cheering for increased passenger growth at RIC! That's what will drive all the other factors at the airport to include any runway expansions/building, increased flights (to include western/international destinations), more gate expansions, more airlines attracted to the airport, etc.

From what I understand, Skybus currently has a total of 7 (5 working / 2 reserves) aircrafts in their operating fleet with more on order. I have heard that they are doing well so far.

West coast flights.........RIC needs to have consistant O/D numbers to support flights to the west coast.

As stated :

"with many air travelers coming from Washington DC, Norfolk and other parts of the central east coast to fly in and out of RIC to catch flights from airlines like Skybus. "

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to believe that "many air travelers" are coming from NOVA/DC or Norfolk. NOVA/DC airports offer more non-stop flights at reasonable prices on legacy carriers. I just cannot see a person from the NOVA/DC area driving to RIC just to save $100-$150.00. The time driving down to RIC along with gas and then the tiring drive back up on the return would not be practical. Don't forget to throw in the NOVA/DC traffic and still be at the airport 1.5 hours before your flight. Thats a minimum of 3.5 hours of travel (w/o traffic) BEFORE setting foot on the plane. I could see some passengers from Norfolk doing the drive though I would not say "many" since there are 2 airports that service SE Virginia. But the same applies to the driving aspect of the trip.

RIC passenger counts are up only because Richmond Citizens are utilizing the Legacy and LCC's that fly out of RIC and the airfares are reasonable!

For that, we can congratulate the Managment @ RIC for the hardwork they have done!