Richmond International Airport

eandslee

Here are the May 2007 / June 2007 passenger figures for Virginia Airports:

RIC : (June07) 336,000 Passengers / http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-...08-01-0136.html

Dulles : (May07) 2,181,301 Passengers / http://www.metwashairports.com/_/File/_/dpsp507ye.pdf

Washington Reagan : (May07) 1,726,118 Passengers / http://www.metwashairports.com/_/File/_/npsp507ye.pdf

Norfolk : (June07) 362,443 Passenger / http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6839778

Newport News/Williamsburg : Unavailable

Interesting to note that US Airways, still the leading carrier, showed very little percentage growth in June.

If my recent experience with U.S. Airways is any indication of their overall performance this summer, then I am not surprised that they did not show much percentage growth in June.

Last weekend, I had planned to fly U.S. Air to Laguardia Friday night and to return to Richmond Sunday evening. My Friday flight was canceled and flights to several other locations from RIC were either canceled or delayed as well. They refused to offer a refund and the best rebooking they could offer me was a flight to NYC through Charlotte arriving at 4pm on Saturday. I decided to keep the ticket for the return leg and hopped on the Chinatown bus instead (which proved extremely reliable -- rva to nyc in 5 hours!!). On Sunday, my flight back to Richmond was also canceled, even though the departure board and telephone support service assured me that it was on time even as I was leaving LGA to head back to the city. Again, no accommodations were offered for my inconvenience, and I was rebooked for a 9am flight Monday morning. That flight didn't leave until 12:30pm, and I finally arrived home at 2pm. After missing a Monday morning dentist appointment, and arriving at work six hours late (with no sign of any remorse from the airline) I vowed to never fly US Air again. As a premier member of the star alliance, I couldn't believe I had been treated so badly. I've been treated better by Chinese airlines! The airline officials blamed everything on 'weather' which was 'overcast', yet after sharing this story with my co-workers, I learned that the evening flights to and from LGA and RIC are notoriously unreliable on US Air. Certainly, the weather wasn't the only or even the main reason.

When I arrived home and checked my email, I found a message from US Air asking me to sign a petition to help them win support for a direct flight from Philadelphia to Beijing. Where can I sign the petition against this proposal?

Edited by gntrphoo

• 2 weeks later...

The Virginia Air National Guard has left Sandston for Langley AFB in Hampton. RIC is interested in the land and buildings being left behind. Could a new longer runway also be in the future for RIC: Read this story from today's inRich:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/news....08-14-0065.html

One could only hope burt, but I doubt it. It just sounds like another tenant will possibly move into the same facilities that the National Guard will leave behind. I'm thinking that it could be another government agency response team...possibly dealing with the Department of Homeland Security. That's my guess. It's good that they have thought of something they can do with that piece of RIC though. At least it won't be left there to rot away. I can't wait to hear who they will have occupy the space. I'll stay tuned for what's to come.

gentrphoo, I am in no way defending US Air or any other carrier, but there were constant reports up here in the NY press about almost daily weather-related delays at JFK, LGA and EWR during much of July. It must have been Hell for travelers on all airlines.

Edited by burt

One could only hope burt, but I doubt it. It just sounds like another tenant will possibly move into the same facilities that the National Guard will leave behind. I'm thinking that it could be another government agency response team...possibly dealing with the Department of Homeland Security. That's my guess. It's good that they have thought of something they can do with that piece of RIC though. At least it won't be left there to rot away. I can't wait to hear who they will have occupy the space. I'll stay tuned for what's to come.

Eric, couldn't the Air Guard's 9000 foot hard surface runway be improved, maybe lengthened, and utilized by RIC as a third commercial runway? The basics are there, so it would cut down considerably on costs, seems to me.

Eric, couldn't the Air Guard's 9000 foot hard surface runway be improved, maybe lengthened, and utilized by RIC as a third commercial runway? The basics are there, so it would cut down considerably on costs, seems to me.

The article said that the National Guard is still maintaining a presence there (outside of the Air Wing), it would seem to me that the only use that runway will get is for emergencies and military related flights. Homeland Security would make sense to move in. But the Secret Service, NSA and CIA could all be options.

That 9000 foot runway IS one of the runways the airport currently uses (our longest runway at the airport). I think you are getting confused into thinking that the National Guard had its own runway and that is not the case. The article says that the National Guard has had ACCESS to a 9000 foot runway, not that they owned it. I hope that clarifies it for you. I like your thinking though.

Well, the bad news is that TPG Capital/Northwest Airlines has bought out Midwest Airlines. AirTran lost which stinks for RIC because if AirTran would have won, we would likely have gotten direct western destination service. Now that they have lost...we sit at square once again. Ho Hum.... :(

http://www.airportbusiness.com/online/arti...=1&id=13804

Edited by eandslee

Donna Kelliher who handles travel arrangement for Dominion Resources has been named Travel Manager of the Year by Business Travel News Magazine.

She began her career at Covington Travel in Richmond a couple of decades ago. Since becoming travel manager for Dominion she, along with airport and city economic figures, is credited with attracting low cost carrier AirTran to RIC.

I have been under the impression that Greensboro (PTI) airport, the third busiest in the Carolinas, served more passengers than Richmond International. But I learned yesterday from posts on UP's Triad (Greensboro) thread that Richmond is way ahead of them. GSO's total is about 2.2M while RIC's is almost 3.4M. Norfolk serves more than 3.5M.

Charlotte tops 29M and Raleigh/Durham's figure is almost 10M, so RIC and ORF (Norfolk) have a long way to go.

Isn't Charlotte also a hub for US Airways?

Yes it is, which is why I'm really wanting a hub to land in Richmond because our numbers would then soar very rapidly. Any hub will do, but RIC needs to set itself up for it. I think that location is very good - the facilities just need to be on par that "begs" for it.

Yes it is, which is why I'm really wanting a hub to land in Richmond because our numbers would then soar very rapidly. Any hub will do, but RIC needs to set itself up for it. I think that location is very good - the facilities just need to be on par that "begs" for it.

Some people say that ticket costs would rise if a city became a Hub or if two major carriers merged (such as US Air and Delta). Do you think that's true, Eric?

I'm still waiting for someone to tell us how SKYBUS is doing at RIC. Is it attracting flyers from HR and NOVA?

And should RIC still hang on to hopes for Southwest flights?

I think that it is pretty well-established that ticket costs to/from hub airports are much higher than the costs of flying in and out of connecting airports. The trade-off, of course, is the convenience of direct flights.

I once flew from Boston to Greenville, SC -- connecting through Charlotte. The flight to Charlotte was actually $200 more than the flight to Greenville, even though it was the exact same plane from Boston to Charlotte. Essentially US Airways paid me $200 to take an additional 30 minute flight.

Edited by jbjust

To anyone who frequents RIC, as I, be cautious of places you choose to eat. Avoid the dine-in style restaurants like the plague!!!!!!

An inspector who was talking very loud "shared" some very disturbing information in regards to some of the dining facitilies and their upkeep (or lack there of) as well as some of the area restaurants in the airport vacinity.

Jet Blue adds Direct Flights from RIC to Fort Lauderdale

Spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said the once-a-day direct service will begin Nov. 1 and is being introduced as a service for "winter snowbirds."

Depending on demand, service could end April 30 or continue year-round.

An introductory fare of $69 each way must be booked by Aug. 31, and travel must be taken between Nov. 1 and Dec. 13.

The plane will leave Richmond at 1:30 p.m. and arrive at Fort Lauderdale at 3:40 p.m. Return flights will leave Florida at 4:15 p.m. and arrive in Richmond at 6:25 p.m.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

This is very good news. It must be an indication that Jet Blue is pleased with the performance of its JFK and Boston flights to and from RIC. With the airline's reputation of good and comfortable service (barring the humiliating cancellations and delays earlier in the year), I predict that it will pick up business from the lower Peninsula and central Virginia cities for South Florida destinations.

Eric, I wish you would e-mail your friend Troy Bell at RIC and ask him about Southwest possibilities and also inquire about Skybus PAX figures. I'd do it, but you know the language better than I. :)

Ha ha. He's not my friend, just they guy I usually write to when I have a pressing question about the airport. Anyway, as far as specific airline possibilities and airline stats...I'm positive that the airport doesn't keep such statistics (the airlines keep these) - the airport is mostly concerned with the bottom line statistics such as total passenger counts.

There was an article in the RTD about 1-2 years ago that quoted Mathesan as saying that Southwest probably wouldn't come to Richmond until they went to Charlotte first and being as they are not in Charlotte yet, doesn't bode too well for Richmond's chances to land them - not now anyway...at least, that is according to his quote.

More good news at RIC:

RIC reports 26th consecutive month of record growth

July's passenger traffic at Richmond International Airport continued more than two years of strong growth, according to the Capital Region Airport Commission.

More than 337,000 passengers used RIC in July, an increase of 11.7 percent compared with the same month a year ago. It was the third record month in a row for the airport.

Fueled by the region's strong economy and more low-cost carriers at the field, Richmond International's passenger traffic has now set records every month for 26 straight months.

Good news! Wonder how long it will take before passenger loads exceed 400,000 in a month? Maybe November and December will push the figures closer to that level.

This is super news indeed. The better news is that with the new flight to Fort Lauderdale (JetBlue), those numbers should increase, if not just a little bit (that is, starting when the flights commence). That would be cool if RIC could reach 500K people each month or more. That would mean about 6 million people served by RIC per year! I don't think that's too far off. If we continue with this upward trend, not counting additional flights and/or new airlines that may want to service Richmond, we could end up at that mark within the next 3 years or sooner! Thanks for the news Coupe! :thumbsup:

Edited by eandslee