Richmond International Airport

eandslee

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

but even they ran away from serving the RIC-TPA route when Breeze moved in.

Exactly... which still makes 0 sense to why since jetBlue and Southwest definitely had the market and I just don't understand why they just let up when Breeze moved in. I genuinely hope with the Phoenix route you see an airline like Southwest or American pop in and also announce routes to these destinations... Do you think it could be a limitation on gates for these airlines? Since Breeze has a lot of Concourse A now while I'm pretty sure Southwest is limited to 2 gates in Concourse B.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niccckk said:

Exactly... which still makes 0 sense to why since jetBlue and Southwest definitely had the market and I just don't understand why they just let up when Breeze moved in. I genuinely hope with the Phoenix route you see an airline like Southwest or American pop in and also announce routes to these destinations... Do you think it could be a limitation on gates for these airlines? Since Breeze has a lot of Concourse A now while I'm pretty sure Southwest is limited to 2 gates in Concourse B.

I don’t think gate space is an issue at RIC. I think there is plenty of room right now…unless there is some kind of large-scale expansion (i.e. RIC becomes a hub or focus city).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

Shoot! Wish it would start earlier since I’m flying out to a Phoenix during the holidays! Welp looks like I’ll just have to fly Delta and next to time Breeze. Still absolutely awesome we are gonna be getting this route.

Same for family, though personally I will be flying Delta for perks regardless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

I don’t think gate space is an issue at RIC. I think there is plenty of room right now…unless there is some kind of large-scale expansion (i.e. RIC becomes a hub or focus city).

I know we have the long-term master plan that's been on the books for about 5 years now that would include the HUGE expansion (if we ever got a hub) with parallel runways, a second terminal with a third concourse, etc. In the meantime, are there any interim further expansion plans for concourses A or B in the offing for, say, the next 5 or so years? I'm sure right now capacity is NOT an issue for the facility.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This is really good. Wow - looking at the roster of Breeze destinations from RIC - adding Phoenix to Vegas, Frisco and NOLA is a powerful lineup. Looking forward to more direct destinations being added to the RIC roster - and hopefully the airport will see significant increases in passenger traffic that will finally push capacity to the point we could see facility expansion. Hoping this happens in parallel to snagging at least a focus city - or - a full-on hub.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@RVABizSenseMike I think it would be good for you all to do stories on the airport and it's growth over the past 2 decades or so.  Or  it would be good for you all to start highlighting new service and routes the airport gains.  The latest one is Breeze Airways' nonstop service between RIC-PHX that starts on 10 Feb 23 (announced last week and the first time this route has ever been offer from RIC).  The airport is every bit a part of the business community as any other business entity you all do stories on.  In fact, the airport and its service affects local business (or can) in a very big way.  Thoughts?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, eandslee said:

@RVABizSenseMike I think it would be good for you all to do stories on the airport and it's growth over the past 2 decades or so.  Or  it would be good for you all to start highlighting new service and routes the airport gains.  The latest one is Breeze Airways' nonstop service between RIC-PHX that starts on 10 Feb 23 (announced last week and the first time this route has ever been offer from RIC).  The airport is every bit a part of the business community as any other business entity you all do stories on.  In fact, the airport and its service affects local business (or can) in a very big way.  Thoughts?

Agreed - adding focus on new -- and potential future -- routes would be a great service that could potentially be a win-win for the business community, the city and the airport.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Also, Breeze just started 4x weekly service between RIC-LAS today!  That's big news!  It was just 2x weekly (the service was doubled).  This kind of news needs to get out to the business community for sure!

That's huge! Did we have that already on our radars - or is this a surprise announcement?

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

That's huge! Did we have that already on our radars - or is this a surprise announcement?

We were already tracking that, but it just initiated on 1 Nov.  While Breeze is scaling back in some areas and in some cities, Breeze continues to grow at RIC!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, eandslee said:

Interesting idea, I'll certainly run it up the line to my editor. We've covered the airport a bit over the years, namely on its various expansions and how it came out of the pandemic, but if there's an appetite from folks to know more about the latest regarding new flights and airlines at RIC, it may well be something we'd cover. Thanks for the idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

Interesting idea, I'll certainly run it up the line to my editor. We've covered the airport a bit over the years, namely on its various expansions and how it came out of the pandemic, but if there's an appetite from folks to know more about the latest regarding new flights and airlines at RIC, it may well be something we'd cover. Thanks for the idea. 

Thanks, Mike! Yes - I think there's a need to feature new service/routes/destinations and airlines at RIC to help promote their usage. After all, if new routes go un/under used, then we run the risk of losing that service. Many on us here were absolutely chapped when one of the local TV stations ran a feature on service to the West Coast flying out of NORFOLK! WHY would a RICHMOND TV news organization openly promote service from a competing airport, regardless of how newsworthy the story might be? We don't need RICHMOND-based media serving as public service outlets for airports in Norfolk, NOVA, etc., when those facilities are in direct competition with RIC. Now, I realize it's not the mission of RBS to  promulgate any specific narrative, although I think if there is a narrative that NEEDS to be pushed, it's that RIC is grossly underserved and that local movers and shakers could possibly do more to bring additional service (both in terms of new routes/destinations AND additional airlines currently not flying out of Richmond). A feature story (or series even) in which local leaders, be they government, civic, business, etc. are interviewed/polled/questioned about this topic: "so WHAT IF RIC could land a hub here..."  -- and then delve into exactly WHAT needs to happen to push RIC in the direction of getting a hub. If RDU can land a hub (particularly with CLT not all that God-awful far away) when WHY cannot RIC? What factors need to be addressed (aside from the obvious elephant in the room of spending the money to physically expand the facility - and the biggie is parallel runways)... but WHAT can we do to actively drive traffic such that the current terminal becomes outstripped of its capacity? What needs to happen to stair-step toward a hub -- perhaps landing a "focus city" status for at least one carrier. Things like that.

We have a problem with RIC in that, for as much of an asset as it is to the region, it is also something that holds us back vis a vis competitor cities that have much larger airports, much better passenger service, many more destinations and airlines serving them, etc. Conventional wisdom contends that the RVA region's market size holds RIC back. However, I would argue that the market size shouldn't necessarily "make" the airport - rather (as we've seen in other metropolitan areas) quite the opposite effect is in play - a robust airport actually can actually MAKE  market size by serving as rocket fuel to ignite growth in a region by being a crown jewel-level asset that attracts larger businesses which in turn brings jobs which in turn brings people, boosting population growth (and in some cases, dumping an entire season's worth of Urban Miracle Grow on a given region!)  Look no farther than the impact CLT has had on that Carolina city's and metro region's rate of growth. A robust airport can - and does ignite - robust regional growth, which in turn, fuels greater vitality and growth of the airport. It's THAT level of synergy that RIC-RVA lacks, and that other cities have enjoyed.

Shedding light on this - and maybe raising the right questions can make a difference in how things progress going forward. Personally, I think it would be a worthwhile -- and newsworthy -- endeavor that could benefit all of us.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks, Mike! Yes - I think there's a need to feature new service/routes/destinations and airlines at RIC to help promote their usage. After all, if new routes go un/under used, then we run the risk of losing that service. Many on us here were absolutely chapped when one of the local TV stations ran a feature on service to the West Coast flying out of NORFOLK! WHY would a RICHMOND TV news organization openly promote service from a competing airport, regardless of how newsworthy the story might be? We don't need RICHMOND-based media serving as public service outlets for airports in Norfolk, NOVA, etc., when those facilities are in direct competition with RIC. Now, I realize it's not the mission of RBS to  promulgate any specific narrative, although I think if there is a narrative that NEEDS to be pushed, it's that RIC is grossly underserved and that local movers and shakers could possibly do more to bring additional service (both in terms of new routes/destinations AND additional airlines currently not flying out of Richmond). A feature story (or series even) in which local leaders, be they government, civic, business, etc. are interviewed/polled/questioned about this topic: "so WHAT IF RIC could land a hub here..."  -- and then delve into exactly WHAT needs to happen to push RIC in the direction of getting a hub. If RDU can land a hub (particularly with CLT not all that God-awful far away) when WHY cannot RIC? What factors need to be addressed (aside from the obvious elephant in the room of spending the money to physically expand the facility - and the biggie is parallel runways)... but WHAT can we do to actively drive traffic such that the current terminal becomes outstripped of its capacity? What needs to happen to stair-step toward a hub -- perhaps landing a "focus city" status for at least one carrier. Things like that.

We have a problem with RIC in that, for as much of an asset as it is to the region, it is also something that holds us back vis a vis competitor cities that have much larger airports, much better passenger service, many more destinations and airlines serving them, etc. Convention wisdom contends that the RVA region's market size holds RIC back. However, I would argue that the market size shouldn't necessarily "make" the airport - rather (as we've seen in other metropolitan areas) quite the opposite effect is in play - a robust airport actually can actually MAKE  market size by serving as rocket fuel to ignite growth in a region by being a crown jewel-level asset that attracts larger businesses which in turn brings jobs which in turn brings people, boosting population growth (and in some cases, dumping an entire season's worth of Urban Miracle Grow on a given region!)  Look no farther than the impact CLT has had on that Carolina city's and metro region's rate of growth. A robust airport can - and does ignite - robust regional growth, which in turn, fuels greater vitality and growth of the airport. It's THAT level of synergy that RIC-RVA lacks, and that other cities have enjoyed.

Shedding light on this - and maybe raising the right questions can make a difference in how things progress going forward. Personally, I think it would be a worthwhile -- and newsworthy -- endeavor that could benefit all of us.

Perfectly stated @I miss RVA!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

We have a problem with RIC in that, for as much of an asset as it is to the region, it is also something that holds us back vis a vis competitor cities that have much larger airports, much better passenger service, many more destinations and airlines serving them, etc. Conventional wisdom contends that the RVA region's market size holds RIC back. However, I would argue that the market size shouldn't necessarily "make" the airport - rather (as we've seen in other metropolitan areas) quite the opposite effect is in play - a robust airport actually can actually MAKE  market size by serving as rocket fuel to ignite growth in a region by being a crown jewel-level asset that attracts larger businesses which in turn brings jobs which in turn brings people, boosting population growth (and in some cases, dumping an entire season's worth of Urban Miracle Grow on a given region!)  Look no farther than the impact CLT has had on that Carolina city's and metro region's rate of growth. A robust airport can - and does ignite - robust regional growth, which in turn, fuels greater vitality and growth of the airport. It's THAT level of synergy that RIC-RVA lacks, and that other cities have enjoyed.

I think its because our Airport in Norfolk has been running alot of ads recently. I mean, there was a picture online with someone from our city in NYC Times square where they put an ad up on a billboard for Norfolk. 

Plus, I dont think the competition is as high as it seems, After all we are both 100 miles away from each other. 

Though, I guess it also depends on population and ofc, our military bases here. 

To add onto that, I went to RIC recently. Good looking airport!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mintscraft56 said:

there was a picture online with someone from our city in NYC Times square where they put an ad up on a billboard for Norfolk. 

It's actually a smart move - why not advertise in North America's largest city?! This is something that the fine folks at RIC really need to do.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:11 AM, eandslee said:

While Breeze is scaling back in some areas and in some cities, Breeze continues to grow at RIC!

This has been consistent with Breeze for a while, which is really good for us. They've paused new routes out of Norfolk, cut flights elsewhere, but they keep growing out of RIC. (still makes me question why they have a base in Norfolk ) All we've seen go is PBI, which to be honest isn't that big of a loss for us since we still have jetBlue / Spirit that fly to Fort Lauderdale. The one thing I hope to see in the next few years is other airlines hopping onto to routes that Breeze now has dominance over. Like perhaps jetBlue resuming their Las Vegas flights again to compete with Breeze. I think we'll see airline competition on Breeze's routes in a few years once the whole airline industry grows back to normal.

Edited by Niccckk
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Niccckk said:

They've paused new routes out of Norfolk, cut flights elsewhere, but they keep growing out of RIC. (still makes me question why they have a base in Norfolk )

I'm still scratching my head over that one. It seems like RIC is the airport that is realizing its growth potential for Breeze. Is there ANY chance that Breeze might see the efficacy of shifting their base from ORF to RIC given the rather expansive growth potential we can offer, not to mention what appears, so far, to be a superb record of performance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm still scratching my head over that one. It seems like RIC is the airport that is realizing its growth potential for Breeze. Is there ANY chance that Breeze might see the efficacy of shifting their base from ORF to RIC given the rather expansive growth potential we can offer, not to mention what appears, so far, to be a superb record of performance?

In all fairness to ORF, Breeze serves way more destinations from ORF than it does RIC (12 destinations versus 7 served from RIC).  So in that regard, since the preponderance of flights between the two markets reside in ORF, I can assure you that Breeze still plans to keep the focus city there. ORF has a good market for tourists and tourists are one of Breeze’s focused market demographic.  

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

In all fairness to ORF, Breeze serves way more destinations from ORF than it does RIC (12 destinations versus 7 served from RIC).  So in that regard, since the preponderance of flights between the two markets reside in ORF, I can assure you that Breeze still plans to keep the focus city there. ORF has a good market for tourists and tourists are one of Breeze’s focused market demographic.  

Fair point. However, what would it take for RIC to at least catch up in terms of destinations and make up that 5-market gap between the two airports?