Richmond International Airport

eandslee

I drove to the airport at 1:00 p.m. today to catch a flight only to discover that EVERY parking spot in each of the two garages was full, even the rooftop lots. I was forced to park on the surface lots, but even though were probably 50 spaces away from being filled up.

Great news for the airport, but construction on new garages has to begin soon.

The use of the Boeing 757 is nothing more than an indication that the airport is doing very well. I welcome the new aircraft and hope that passenger counts increase to the point where other airlines seriving Richmond will have to fly in larger jets to accommodate the demand in Richmond. I too, do not want Air Tran to leave. Richmonders still must be careful to support those discount airlines so that we can keep prices down in Richmond. I am actually surprised that US Airways hasn't provided Richmond with a western destination yet. Once we get some western destinations I think Richmond will start to become a "blip" on the airline and airport radar screen - good news for drawing more business to RIC and maybe even more terminal expansion, etc. I hope the trend of growth at RIC continues to grow. Go Richmond International!

Hey guys! This is a great thread BTW. Very informative and well organized. Well done.

Consider yourselves very lucky to have 757 service with Delta. We got it here in Nashville and only a few domestic markets are getting this revised service from the guys in Atlanta. We, all that have it, should be very proud to have this as it is pretty rare in today's rollercoaster airline market to have this as a domesitc mainline service. Do you guys have airline spotters/photographers in Richmond that can get the first flight out of there??? We have a photography group here in Nashville (which I am a part of) that takes pictures and spots out at our airport's public observation area. I was just curious. But congrats on the new service, you will be very pleased.

Michael

There is room to grow; all along Airport Rd.

As a matter of fact, back in the days, RIC was in the run for a US Airways Hub. We lost out to Charlotte, NC.

Wow! I never knew that we were in the running for a US Airways hub! I wish an airline would look at Richmond again for a hub. What a huge boost it would be for our economy!...not to mention serious national recognition.

Hey guys! This is a great thread BTW. Very informative and well organized. Well done.

Consider yourselves very lucky to have 757 service with Delta. We got it here in Nashville and only a few domestic markets are getting this revised service from the guys in Atlanta. We, all that have it, should be very proud to have this as it is pretty rare in today's rollercoaster airline market to have this as a domesitc mainline service. Do you guys have airline spotters/photographers in Richmond that can get the first flight out of there??? We have a photography group here in Nashville (which I am a part of) that takes pictures and spots out at our airport's public observation area. I was just curious. But congrats on the new service, you will be very pleased.

Michael

Thanks for stopping by Lexy and MicoMiles... feel free to stop by anytime!

I was pleased with this news as well. From news reports, it seemed to be a permanent change, but I'm not really sure. There are some pics throughout this thread if you feel like browsing through it, or some of the guys that have pics of the airport could repost them if they had time. After the expansion is complete next year, RIC should be quite an experience!

I wish we had some airport spotters at Richmond International. I can tell you that if I lived in Richmond, I'd be THE airport spotter. Anyone else like to volunteer since I can't? It would be cool to get the first 757 coming in for a landing from the point of view at the end of the runway where you get off from the Interstate! I actually wish that the airport had a webcam. I wrote Troy Bell at the airport about having one set up, but he has never responded to my emails.

Edited by eandslee

The Delta 757 plane seating 181 may be the largest plane flying in and out of Richmond now, but Eastern Airlines, years ago, had bigger ones. They flew Airbus A/300/A310 planes holding 200 passengers AND for a while, Lockeed L-1011 widebody, 2-aisle planes seating 400.

I'm not making that up, guys. It's in today's paper. :)

The Delta 757 plane seating 181 may be the largest plane flying in and out of Richmond now, but Eastern Airlines, years ago, had bigger ones. They flew Airbus A/300/A310 planes holding 200 passengers AND for a while, Lockeed L-1011 widebody, 2-aisle planes seating 400.

PS. I remember going out to Byrd Airport (I guess it was called Richmond International by that time) to see a British Airways Concorde which had been flown in as a promotional gimmick.

And how many of you know that Richmond was a hot contender to become the North American terminal for Graf Zepplins? The crash of the Hindenberg in Lakehurst, New Jersey, ended that dream, though by that time I think Richmond had slipped out of contention.

Even today, FedEx flies an A300 out of RIC.

The new baggage claim area is up and running. Unfortunately, it took nearly 45 minutes for our bags to get unloaded this morning. Hopefully this is not a sign of things to come.

Uh oh! Sounds like Denver's baggage problems. Of course, RIC is still a few months from official opening of the new terminal, so hopefully irksome delays will be corrected.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I have been hearing more and more about the airport in Richmond over here in Nashville. Most of the airports remotely close to here gets a mention or two in our spotter group. I have to say, there is some interesting stuff that flies into your airport! I would love to come check it out sometime in the future. Preferably after the renovations are complete.

I do want to caution anyone who does decide to shoot photos out at any airport. You may want to check with airport officals or police about whether it is allowed. I know that here in Nashville it is encouraged at the overlook, but down the road in Memphis they will haul you into jail for taking pictures at the airport. So it depends on the municipality and their feelings about it. But if you just tell them who you are and be up front and honest, they usually don't mind. Heck, if you post them on the net, it's free publicity for them., So why not, eh?? LOL!!!

If anyone is interested, I have a website on PBase for many of my Nashville shots. You can find it here: www.pbase.com/lexyky/nashville_international_airport Check it out and tell me what you think over in the "airport thread" in the Nashville forum if you like. Both cities are about the same size and both compete for generally the same thing, so it is neat to compare the two airports. Keep in mind though that BNA used to be an American Airlines hub. Now it is a "Hub" for Southwest Airlines who operate around 90 flights a day out of here. So you generally see more SWA jets than anything else, but American is still a HUGE player here as well. But eitherway fellas, congratualations and happy shooting I hope! PM me and let me know if any of you get to shoot some pics out at the airport. I would be delighted to see them!!!

All the best,

Michael

Hey Lexy!!! Have not heard from you in a while. How is Nashville treating you? I am now here in Richmond.

I took a trip to RIC yesterday and I am very pleased from what I saw. The new terminal is going to amazing when finished. I wish I had my camera.

Edited by Shakman

Hey Lexy!!! Have not heard from you in a while. How is Nashville treating you? I am now here in Richmond.

I took a trip to RIC yesterday and I am very pleased from what I saw. The new terminal is going to amazing when finished. I wish I had my camera.

Oh my. It has been forever since I had talked with you Shakman! WOW!!! Things are awesome here. Always something going on, kinda like Richmond I guess. Beautiful weather and all. PM me and we can talk more. It is awesome to hear from you again shakman.

Michael

Lexy, I discussed the Schermerhorn with you on Skyscraper which has been "down" for a few days; haven't checked yet today to see if it's back up.

BNA handles about three times the number of passengers compared to RIC , but growth continues in the double digits monthly. I live in New York and am flying out of JFK on Jet Blue next Saturday for a month-long visit to my hometown of Richmond. I'm old enough to remember that the RIC terminal just after WWII was a quonset hut, so can't wait to see the new improvements which are pictured elsewhere (see page 20) on this thread.

Edited by burt

Eric, it seems our worries about a long enough runway at RIC are not as dire as we thought. If wide body planes had scheduled service in the past and Fed Ex still flies in some biggies, the airport should be able to handle 751s and larger craft with ease.

I don't know anything about airport layouts, but judging from the aerial photo it looks as if a new parallel runway east of the present one could extend to as much as ten or eleven thousand feet without encroaching upon any populated areas. What are your thoughts?

Has there been any news from Southwest about its intensions for RIC?

Eric, it seems our worries about a long enough runway at RIC are not as dire as we thought. If wide body planes had scheduled service in the past and Fed Ex still flies in some biggies, the airport should be able to handle 751s and larger craft with ease.

I don't know anything about airport layouts, but judging from the aerial photo it looks as if a new parallel runway east of the present one could extend to as much as ten or eleven thousand feet without encroaching upon any populated areas. What are your thoughts?

Has there been any news from Southwest about its intensions for RIC?

Oh, I always knew that one of our runways was large enough for most mid to large size aircraft (probably not long enough for 747s though) - that wasn't the issue, but if Richmond is to ever get flights using 747s, then they would need the extend the runway. I think that a parallel runway there would be perfect except for the fact that our current largest runway would have to be intersected twice, which is pretty much unheard of (probably not even legal and conforming to FAA standards). There is a fix though. If a parallel runway is built that would be longer than our current longest runway, they could easily decommission the current long runway since a new longer parallel would be available. This would take so mega bucks though. Richmond would have to land a hub service for an airline to justify doing that.

The last I heard about Southwest was when Jon Mathiasen said that in order to Southwest to land at RIC, Southwest would have to set up shop in Charlotte first. I don't exactly understand why (other than Charlotte being a bigger market and would probably make more business sense for Southwest at this point), but I'm still waiting for Southwest to make a move. Either they come here soon or they go to Charlotte first and then here soon thereafter.

Well Richomnd International still has a long way to go before it can be competetive with other majior airports. And its high rates are deffinatly hurting its position as a tourist destination.

Of the carriers at Richmond international the only one that offers affordable rates is jet blue and unfortunatly they dont provide service to detroit go figure. All the others are way to expensive. I can't believe it I currently live in Tampa and I am able to fly to detroit round trip for only $150, from Richomnd the cost is more than double it usually ranges from $350 to $400 and that is on coach.

Carriers at Richomnd airport needs it lower there fares.

Edited by wood2coal

Passenger growth continues at RIC in August (.pdf)

Looks like another great month (though not all-time recordbreaking like previous months) for the Airport.

Passenger traffic in August increased by 9.74% over a year ago. 295,606 passengers came through RIC this August as opposed to 269,359 passengers in August 05.

So far this year, 2,161,958 passengers have come through RIC, up 13.93% from the 1,897,677 last year.

:yahoo:

Passenger growth continues at RIC in August (.pdf)

Looks like another great month (though not all-time recordbreaking like previous months) for the Airport.

Passenger traffic in August increased by 9.74% over a year ago. 295,606 passengers came through RIC this August as opposed to 269,359 passengers in August 05.

So far this year, 2,161,958 passengers have come through RIC, up 13.93% from the 1,897,677 last year.

:yahoo:

Thanks for the information Coupe! This total passenger number is still rather low for us in my opinion. At the rate the airport has grown over the past little while, you'd think that we'd be over 3 million by now in the year. I sure hope we well exceed 3 million by the end of the year. Looks like we'll be lucky to hit the 3 million mark at this rate. Then again, the busiest travel season is quickly approaching. Hope we can get some heavy traffic!

Well, I am absolutely pleased with the numbers... For example, at year's end in 2004, RIC pulled in a total of about 2.4-5 million passengers. By the end of 2006, we'll have around 3.4+ million passengers. Growing by 1 million passengers in just 2 years is significant! We've come a long way.

Also, I think completion of the Airport's expansion will fuel future passenger growth as well.

Well, I am absolutely pleased with the numbers... For example, at year's end in 2004, RIC pulled in a total of about 2.4-5 million passengers. By the end of 2006, we'll have around 3.4+ million passengers. Growing by 1 million passengers in just 2 years is significant! We've come a long way.

Also, I think completion of the Airport's expansion will fuel future passenger growth as well.

Looking at it that way...you are right Coupe. The airport has done extraordinarily well, especially since 9/11. I hope the trend continues into next year as well. The new airport terminal will only help. Now let's just hope that there is no national catastrophes to kill the upswing we are experiencing at the airport! :)

I haven't flown since June, so I'm rattled about what you can and cannot take in your carry-on. I've decided to pack nothing of a liquid form - including shave cream, toothpaste, and after-shave lotion. I'll just buy what I need when I arive in Richmond. They say medicines are OK as long as they show a pharmacist's label.