Richmond International Airport

eandslee

As reported continually throughout the year, RIC is on booming!!!

Check the bottom of this article...

RIC May Passenger Counts Jump 24% From Previous May

Mathiasen's raise came after a report showing that the airport's total passenger load in May topped 300,000 for the first time on a monthly basis.

"This is a milestone in the history of the airport," said spokesman Troy Bell, with continued growth expected through the summer.

May's total passenger count was up nearly 24 percent compared with last May. During that time, the airport has added two low-fare airlines, JetBlue and AirTran.

That equates to over 58,000 more passengers this May than the previous one.

Coupe, you rascal, that was going to be my lead-off story this morning. Wouldn't you know that you would read the early edition and get there before me?!

I hope Eric is reading this.

Oh, I read it first thing this morning...it's great news! I also think that it is good that Mathiasen is looking to improve taxi service to the airport. What we really need is a light rail going to the airport.

Eric, I know you think I can link, but I really can't.

However, take a look at a story in today's Metro & Virginia Section of the TD titled "Parkway Leased to Australian firm".

Apparently it means that priority will be given to the new airport connection from I-895 ( Pocohontas Parkway).

Edited by burt

Eric, I know you think I can link, but I really can't.

However, take a look at a story in today's Metro & Virginia Section of the TD titled "Parkway Leased to Australian firm".

Apparently it means that priority will be given to the new airport connection from I-895 ( Pocohontas Parkway).

Yeah, I knew that an Australian firm was to take over toll operations on the Pocahontas, but I didn't know and still don't know how the connector road is going to be a priority now. The problem with Pocohontas is that very few use the road probably due to the cost to use it. For the South, that's a heafty toll (I think it's something like $2). I know that everytime I've flown into and out of Richmond I have used the road, but building the connector road will hopefully get more people to travel the Pocahontas. The other problem is that there is not that much development on that side of Richmond...yet. Hopefully, the east side of Richmond will begin to blossem and prove that the parkway was needed in the first place.

I think the airport connector is a priority and will be built soon. Besides, the 5000-home community called Wilton is supposed to straddle I-895 requiring yet another interchange on Pocohontas.

Speaking of tolls, Richmond slides into almost oblivion when compared with Orlando. It has more toll highways than any city I can think of - and what's more, they are choked with traffic!

I think the airport connector is a priority and will be built soon. Besides, the 5000-home community called Wilton is supposed to straddle I-895 requiring yet another interchange on Pocohontas.

Speaking of tolls, Richmond slides into almost oblivion when compared with Orlando. It has more toll highways than any city I can think of - and what's more, they are choked with traffic!

Small correction, I-895 does not exist. It is State Route 895. It was suppose to be I-895.

Small correction, I-895 does not exist. It is State Route 895. It was suppose to be I-895.

Yeah, you're right. 195 doesn't have an "I" in front of it either. Most big cities have Interstate designated expressways either circling or connecting (even numbers) or deadheading into or through a downtown (odd numbers). I've never figured out how the State was allowed to use the "95" number on its own highways.

WOW! Is that Lil' ole Richmond's airport? :shok:

I'll bet Eric is floating above his computer and changing his underwear while looking at these pictures!

Great work, Tommy.

Oops...Hold on...gotta change my shorts...OK, I'm back. :rofl: Those photos are SWEET! Thank you so much for taking and posting them. I rarely get glimpse of the airport anymore because no one ever goes there to get photos. That new terminal looks very nice and I think, puts us in a different catagory of airports. Richmond is on the rise and I'm loving every minute of it! Can't wait until you can get some photos of the interior! Another great vantage point to take photos of the terminal is to get onto the upper level of the parking garage and take a photo from that perpective. Thanks again for the photos! This has made my day!

Edited by eandslee

Oops...Hold on...gotta change my shorts...OK, I'm back. :rofl: Those photos are SWEET! Thank you so much to taking and posting them. I rarely get glimpse of the airport anymore because no one ever goes there to get photos. That new terminal looks very nice and I think, puts us in a different catagory or airports. Richmond in on the rise and I'm loving every minute of it! Can't wait until you can get some photos of the interior! Another great vantage point to take photos of the terminal is to get onto the upper level of the parking garage and take a photo from that perpective. Thanks again for the photos! This has made my day!

Haha, thanks eandslee :D I didnt get to take pictures of the inside, security was tight due to the busy travel weekend. It looks like a warehouse though, very unnattractive at the time. Theyve also added atriums along the walks to the terminals from the big set of escalators and stairs in the front, very nice and bright there.

Tommy, reference your first foto, where is this tollgate? Is it leading into the garages?

You don't have to pay a toll to get to the terminal building, do you?

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the next construction project at RIC will be another huge garage since the present two are running almost at capacity.

Re: the control tower in your pic above, it used to be atop the old terminal building's main central concourse. I wonder if they dismantled it? It might have made a great restaurant site. :)

Tommy, reference your first foto, where is this tollgate? Is it leading into the garages?

You don't have to pay a toll to get to the terminal building, do you?

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the next construction project at RIC will be another huge garage since the present two are running almost at capacity.

Re: the control tower in your pic above, it used to be atop the old terminal building's main central concourse. I wonder if they dismantled it? It might have made a great restaurant site. :)

The tollgate is for cars coming from out of the parking garages. I took it on the way to the terminal building, and from the angle it looks like Im passing through it, but Im not :thumbsup:

Another garage would be nice, even the 30 minute parking section was absolutely packed.

Im pretty sure the old control tower on top of the old terminal has been dismantled to make way for that big arch. Im pretty sure the arch extended over the old termianl building. When you get into the main entrnace of the terminal and old terminal, the ceiling was gutted.

That is actually incorrect Burt. The old control tower was dismantled and moreless thrown away. There was a lot of talk about keeping it for the aviation museum and it was actually available for anyone who really wanted it for a preserving purpose, but there were no takers because of the difficulty in transporting it. The Virginia Avaition Museum may have still ended up with it, but I read a while back that it was going to be thrown away or used for parts, etc. For sure, though, the new control tower is brand spanking new from the bottom, up and does not house the old control tower. Sorry if I disappoint, but its true. :(

Eric, that was my finger typing faster than I could think. I didn't mean the new tower was over the old one - I just meant "re: the control tower in your pic above, the OLD one used to be atop...." etc. etc.

Sorry I misled. :lol:

Oh, I get get what you were saying now. Sorry. I was thinking the opposite. No problem. ;)

Here ya go, burt. I think it's a great idea to market the airport to Fredericksburg. Driving anywhere close to Nova can be such a headache especially during the rain and God forbid an accident happen. In addition, I would think since Richmond's airport is smaller than Dulles it would be much quicker to get in and out of.

story

Here ya go, burt. I think it's a great idea to market the airport to Fredericksburg. Driving anywhere close to Nova can be such a headache especially during the rain and God forbid an accident happen. In addition, I would think since Richmond's airport is smaller than Dulles it would be much quicker to get in and out of.

story

Thanks again Guy for helping out this link-deprived poster. :lol:

That's a great story.... I really like the line regarding the airport's marketing efforts:

"Keep in mind this is a new thing for us," said Beverley W. "Booty" Armstrong, the commission's chairman. "We've never had fares worth advertising."

RIC seems to be a fountain of good news as of late. :)