Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I wish "Mix It" all the success in the world (especially considering it will be co-owned by a young VCU student!) but the Froyo market is really getting crowded and I don't necessarily think a cereal bar is enough to differentiate it from the others. Adding cereal to the menu is so easily immitated that any sort of competitive advantage it would bring would be short-lived.

Just curious: Are there any froyo places in the Shockoe and Downtown areas?

I wish "Mix It" all the success in the world (especially considering it will be co-owned by a young VCU student!) but the Froyo market is really getting crowded and I don't necessarily think a cereal bar is enough to differentiate it from the others. Adding cereal to the menu is so easily immitated that any sort of competitive advantage it would bring would be short-lived.

Just curious: Are there any froyo places in the Shockoe and Downtown areas?

One could only wish..... I'm just waiting for the day Sweet Frog opens up a 'flagship' in Downtown RVA..... so far all my friends down in the condos of Canal Walk and Shockoe have to drive all the way on Broad to get to Cary (since Cary's a one way street) just to reach the nearest location. Also, I believe this is the only location within city limits? Or is the one in Forest Hill in the city, too? I wish SF or some Froyo chain would open up their doors in downtown..... just goes to show you how underretailed that area really is.... :(

Does anyone know how Stony Point is performing? I usually avoid malls and support local businesses, but so far as malls go, it's a nice one and I love that the tax dollars actually support the city, so if I can't find something in Carytown whenever I'm back in RVA, I try to visit this center. I just looked online and it appears as if the Hugo Boss and Hollister stores have both closed since when I was last there at Christmas. If that's true, this leaves some fairly significant vacancies in key areas emanating from Saks (the area near Dick's and Dillard's has always seemed to be more marginal). It would be great if Stony Point could land a J. Crew, Apple, and Crate and Barrel to tighten that strong upscale core. I really hope the mall performs well as it's so much nicer than Short Pump. Of course, I hold out hope that cycles will reverse and we'll one day see retail back in downtown.

Does anyone know how Stony Point is performing? I usually avoid malls and support local businesses, but so far as malls go, it's a nice one and I love that the tax dollars actually support the city, so if I can't find something in Carytown whenever I'm back in RVA, I try to visit this center. I just looked online and it appears as if the Hugo Boss and Hollister stores have both closed since when I was last there at Christmas. If that's true, this leaves some fairly significant vacancies in key areas emanating from Saks (the area near Dick's and Dillard's has always seemed to be more marginal). It would be great if Stony Point could land a J. Crew, Apple, and Crate and Barrel to tighten that strong upscale core. I really hope the mall performs well as it's so much nicer than Short Pump. Of course, I hold out hope that cycles will reverse and we'll one day see retail back in downtown.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there isn't a J. Crew, Apple and/or C&B in Stony Point.

Frankly, I'm surprised that there isn't a J. Crew, Apple and/or C&B in Stony Point.

Then again, with a population of 1.2 million, Richmond should be happy with at least ONE Apple Store, because it is really rare for a metro our size to land more than one of those. Same with C&B. Yes, I agree however on J.Crew. But then again, ALL of those 3 stores are in that suburban traffic nightmare we know as Short Pump... would be nice to see them come into Richmond city limits :)

Then again, with a population of 1.2 million, Richmond should be happy with at least ONE Apple Store, because it is really rare for a metro our size to land more than one of those. Same with C&B. Yes, I agree however on J.Crew. But then again, ALL of those 3 stores are in that suburban traffic nightmare we know as Short Pump... would be nice to see them come into Richmond city limits :)

:offtopic: I read the other day that the Metro Richmond area has gained 26,000+ in population since the 2010 census and now stands at 1,285,000+. It ranks 44th among US Metrpolitan areas.

On topic, I'd like to see Dillards convert to a Bloomingdales at Stony Point Fashion Park. :good:

And, welcome to this site, flaneur.

If that Dillard's changed to a Bloomingdale's, it would transform the whole mall.

I didn't know about Hollister, but was surprised Hugo Boss lasted so long in the Richmond market. With Tiffany's and Vineyard Vines coming in just the last few months and last year's addition of Cinebistro, I wouldn't be too concerned about Stony Point.

More Froyo! Has this already been mentioned?

http://www.richmondb...dup-for-2-3-12/

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it once or twice, but if not, then it is a really good find! Of course now some people will start thinking the market is saturated with this, with like 20 here now and 5 coming or u/c. But with a pop. of 1.2 mil and growing, I'm pretty sure that it is safe to say that the market can handle all of these fro-yo eateries. This is Zinga's main webpage. It's locations page has no place anywhere that says it is coming to RVA.

http://www.zingafroyo.com/

Edit: Okay, I don't know how that font change happened, but in regular readable font, here is the website for Zinga.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

Not picking up the fro yo topic; responding to a couple posts back re: Stony Point. I concur that a Bloomie's would be a better fit than Dillard's, but I really doubt the RVA MSA (metropolitan statistical area) can support two luxury department stores. Someone once told me Neiman's had seriously considered Stony Point, but I wonder if Saks has a non-compete clause precluding other upscale anchors in the same center. But back to my earlier post, I think Stony Pont seems to be doing well with the super high-end stores that cater more to women. That core around Saks with Tiffany, Luis Vuitton, Coach, Anthropologies, BCBG, etc., seems to do well and SP has clearly emerged as the high-end winner in the market. But it can't seem to hold on to the mid-market stores that seem to have pulled out in droves (Sketchers, PacSun, Hollister, American Eagle). I guess the mall can do fine if that upscale core stays strong and it continues to build on that line-up, but all the other vacant storefronts create an impression that's hard to counter. I hope CineBistro is doing well, and I hope that Restoration Hardware maintains its lease (they've pulled out of many prime locations recently such as Old Town Alexandria and MacArthur Center, and their departure would create a straight empty wall from Talbot's to the bridal store).

Not picking up the fro yo topic; responding to a couple posts back re: Stony Point. I concur that a Bloomie's would be a better fit than Dillard's, but I really doubt the RVA MSA (metropolitan statistical area) can support two luxury department stores. Someone once told me Neiman's had seriously considered Stony Point, but I wonder if Saks has a non-compete clause precluding other upscale anchors in the same center. But back to my earlier post, I think Stony Pont seems to be doing well with the super high-end stores that cater more to women. That core around Saks with Tiffany, Luis Vuitton, Coach, Anthropologies, BCBG, etc., seems to do well and SP has clearly emerged as the high-end winner in the market. But it can't seem to hold on to the mid-market stores that seem to have pulled out in droves (Sketchers, PacSun, Hollister, American Eagle). I guess the mall can do fine if that upscale core stays strong and it continues to build on that line-up, but all the other vacant storefronts create an impression that's hard to counter. I hope CineBistro is doing well, and I hope that Restoration Hardware maintains its lease (they've pulled out of many prime locations recently such as Old Town Alexandria and MacArthur Center, and their departure would create a straight empty wall from Talbot's to the bridal store).

Yeah.... kinda feel bad for Norfolk (on losing Rest. Hardware), but I'm confused on how it could lose business there, it is a very popular mall, and the store selection seem to match the level of Restoration Hardware.... but I'm shocked that Alexandria lost it.... there are so MANY people in that area (like I said before), that the possibility of NoVA losing such a store rather shocks me.... but then again, I think maybe (just maybe) NoVA is over-saturated with retail. Many people told me that Richmond is very much over-saturated, but from what I've seen so far, Tiffany & Co. and CineBistro have opened, we've sustained the two main "high-end" mall restaurants P.F. Chang's and Cheesecake Factory, and really the only loss for Stony Point was losing United Colors of Benetton.... and from what I've seen from people, I don't think it really bothered them too much... :mellow: . But, like I said before, a Bloomingdale's (or even a Neiman Marcus) would really complete that high-end factor that the mall gives to you. No offense to Dillard's, but I think it really doesn't fit along with the other REALLY high end stores. Surely I'm not the only one thinking this? :dontknow: I say complete the puzzle by bringing a high end anchor to Stony Point.... but then again, I really like Dillard's, and wouldn't be hurt if Dillard's stayed there long-term....

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the new 10,000 Villages that opened on 14th St has already closed? I drive by there almost everyday and I know they were open for a while, but the last week I haven't seen any activity and the stores looks kind of empty from what I can tell. It just seems strange since it seems like it only just opened.

Does anyone know if the new 10,000 Villages that opened on 14th St has already closed? I drive by there almost everyday and I know they were open for a while, but the last week I haven't seen any activity and the stores looks kind of empty from what I can tell. It just seems strange since it seems like it only just opened.

Yep, I drove down there while exploring and roaming Downtown while heading to Southside to bury my cat (see off-topic thread), and saw colorful, yet sad posters covering every square inch of the wall, saying "goodbye RVA" and "store closing" and such. I saw at least 10 people walk in while waiting to turn to cross the Mayo Bridge, but it is rather sad to see such a wonderful furniture boutique to close. This is another fantastic store ending it's run in Shockoe. Now we go back to primarily bars and nightclubs over there... :cry:

But I'm not actually sure if it's closed yet. When I drove there was two weeks ago, and the liquidation was going on..... hopefully hasn't closed JUST yet... still saddening if it did already... :(

Where is (or was) the 10,000 Villages store on 14th Street?

Has the former Southern RR Deli building been leased?

It's sad that These Four Walls closed down. It was a unique decor shop and added color to Shockoe.

BUT HERE'S GOOD NEWS!

Ledbury shirt shop on 14th Street has tripled business in a year and has expanded into the next door building.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...e-room-to-grow/

The smallest Walmart (90,000 s/f) in the Richmond region may be built at Reynolds Crossing which is the site of Altria Headquarters as well as The Westin Hotel.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ds--ar-1751922/

Another Walmart? Damn.... this brings yet another big box store to what was supposed to be Reynold's Crossing.... the fact that it's only 90,000 s.f. isn't exactly helpful either..... now whenever I book a hotel room at the Westin, I can look out my window and see the freshening sights of the city: a glass office building, a Plaza Azteca, a Medical center building (u/c as of now) and.... what's that? Oh yeah, a Walmart... :unsure: Oh well! At least this might surge the number of people going to Reynold's Crossing.... nowadays when I cross 64 driving down Broad, the Westin parking lot looks empty.... also the Plaza Azteca isn't much of anything that helps, it still brings some people to the development. A Walmart, no matter how much we reject it, will only bring more cars to our developement and fill up undeveloped space, and create a nice name for advertisers and leasing offices who will probably take advantage of the fact that Walmart is part of their center.... also I project the intersection of that road where the entrance to Reynolds Crossing and Broad will be clogged and congested even more. Yippee..... :(

How would Wal-Mart help the Westin, an upscale hotel? If anything, it hurts it. The Westin does well.

Sarcasm, man, sarcasm! <_<

I know that a Walmart downgrades such an upscale area.... that's why I used SARCASM..... but still, I heard there was a meeting at a high school or something, so local residents will have somewhat of a say in it, but that probably won't stop Walmart from buying the property. Once they buy it, they can do whatever they want :unsure:

The smallest Walmart (90,000 s/f) in the Richmond region may be built at Reynolds Crossing which is the site of Altria Headquarters as well as The Westin Hotel.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ds--ar-1751922/

Also, on another note of chain stores and restaurants, Chipotle has signed a lease to a yet-to-be-built outparcel in Staples Mill Square.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/03/09/the-pipeline-commercial-real-estate-roundup-for-3-9-12/

Work is underway on the old Cloverleaf Mall at Midlothian Tpk and Chippenham Pkwy. It will have a 123,000 s/f Kroger's that will sell groceries as well as home goods.

The entire 320,000 s/f complex, renamed Stonebridge, will have about 200,000 s/f of additional retail and 350 apartments.

The complex will hire about 300 workers.

From today's Richmond biz sense:

http://www.richmondb...to-pillowcases/