Retail in Richmond

vdogg

It's nice but it's still a Walmart in an upscale office development. They really can't wait till Kmart across glenside tanks?

Well, if they wait, then obviously they won't have to wait too much longer now because that Kmart is going downhill fast. I went there like a month ago, and besides the cafe being closed, the store itself was practically abandoned, and of course the outside of the building is really starting to show it's age.....

Speaking of Wal-Mart, what would you guys think about an inner-city, urban-concept Wal-Mart in Richmond? Similar to the ones proposed for DC.

I know we all like to lament the negative effects on big-box stores on the urban landscape and local mom-and-pop establishments but consider:

• Many residents in Richmond's most urban neighborhoods don't have ready access to affordable, fresh, and healthy food. I'm particularly talking about many of the low-income residents in Church Hill, Northern Jackson Ward and much of the East End.
  • Besides the small convenience stores and corner markets, there aren't really any mom-and-pop grocery stores in the area that would be affected.
  • Typically speaking, lower income residents are very price-sensitive and aren't necessarily shopping at the farmer's markets or the more expensive grocery options (Farm Fresh, Ellwood Thompson, etc).
  • Most of the urban-concept Wal-Mart stores focus primarily on groceries and produce so aren't competing with the locals in other product areas.

Here are the proposals for 2 of the Wal-Marts in DC:

2010_1122_walmartrendering.png

2011_1116_walmart.jpg

Both adopt a mixed-use typology with lower-level retail, integrated parking and a residential component. If you notice in the first rendering, while the Wal-Mart store occupies most of the first floor (and possible a 2nd floor; I don't remember all of the details), it commands a relatively small area of street-frontage. The rest of the street front is reserved for smaller (presumable local) retailers; these store fronts wrap around the Wal-Mart retail space to reduce the "BIg Box" impact typical of Wal-Mart centers.

Do you think something like that would work in Richmond? Would it be at all desirable?

I do like the idea of an urban "big box" store for the city and I prefer the first design only because it doesnt have logos and advertisements plastered around the base of the building like the second one does. However, when it comes to my personal taste I'd much rather see a Target now that they have the grocery component. I personally shop at Target far more than I've ever shopped at Wal-Mart--but I'm just one person. I wouldn't be opposed to floating the idea out there, especially if it can be tastefully done. I think the most opposition will come from residents who fear the stigma of Wal-Mart.

Dillards will have only two stores remaining in Richmond after it closes its Colonial Heights location at Southpark.

Stores, situated in pairs, were closed earlier ar Chesterfield Town Center and at Virginia Center Commons.

The two remaining stores will be at Short Pump Town Center and at Stony Point Fashion Park.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2012/jun/12/dillards-closing-southpark-mall-store-ar-1982824/

7 new retailers announced for Willow Lawn:

http://www2.richmond.com/entertainment/top-features/2012/jun/15/seven-new-retailers-opening-willow-lawn-ar-1990832/

Two have already opened, RED NAILS 2 and CLAIRE'S.

The other five are:

AMERICAN TAP ROOM, bar & grill

CRAZY 8 by GYMBOREE, kids clothing

ASHLEY STEWART, plus size womens clothing

YAPPLE YOGURT, fro-yo

TROPICAL SMOOTHIE CAFE, (obvious)

http://www2.timesdis...ed--ar-1986686/

So they'd demolish the entire mall?

I would think so.... I'd meant to post this when it first appeared a few days ago.... but forgot about it :D

I think Peebles should get a neat spot in the new Eastgate Town Center. That store which I went to ONCE, was actually pretty neat and quirky.

Eastern Henrico, in terms of retail, has improved 200% within the last 5-6 years, especially with White Oak Village and that surrounding area. Eastgate will complement that.

Once they are ready with proposals, I would certainly like to see some renderings. Although it isn't exactly big enough, or important tenant-wise to be considered a mall, it is indoor, has all stores entrance in one large walkway, and has all the mall-like features. And because it is still considered a mall, I'll be a bit sad seeing it go for another large, endless strip center.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 2 weeks later...

A new Martin's for Midlothian?

Well it is kind of tricky to me, because BizSense reports that the site is likely at Charter Colony Pkwy and Midlothian Turnpike. But I KNOW that there is already a Martin's down the street in Sycamore Square, PLUS another one down by CTC. So, will it replace the former? Or will it just be another addition to Martin's inventory. Maybe the two Midlothian locations are too busy and need a third one to help the problem.

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/06/26/martins-plans-its-next-move/

Food Lion still dominates the market share of groceries in Richmond, while Martin's is in second, and the ever-expanding Kroger in third.

It's nice but it's still a Walmart in an upscale office development. They really can't wait till Kmart across glenside tanks?

Well, if they wait, then obviously they won't have to wait too much longer now because that Kmart is going downhill fast. I went there like a month ago, and besides the cafe being closed, the store itself was practically abandoned, and of course the outside of the building is really starting to show it's age.....

It looks like your predictions were spot on.

Sears Holding Corp has announced that the Glenside Drive store is closing.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2012/jun/29/kmart-glenside-drive-closing-ar-2023083/

It looks like your predictions were spot on.

Sears Holding Corp has announced that the Glenside Drive store is closing.

http://www2.timesdis...ing-ar-2023083/

Yes!! My predictions were correct!! Woo-hoo! :yahoo: :yahoo:

...wait..... :huh: ....the store is closing.....

...... :(.......

Eh, but we all saw it comin'..... and besides, now Walmart will push this up as another reason to open up at Reynolds now.....

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

A new Martin's for Midlothian?

Well it is kind of tricky to me, because BizSense reports that the site is likely at Charter Colony Pkwy and Midlothian Turnpike. But I KNOW that there is already a Martin's down the street in Sycamore Square, PLUS another one down by CTC. So, will it replace the former? Or will it just be another addition to Martin's inventory. Maybe the two Midlothian locations are too busy and need a third one to help the problem.

http://www.richmondb...-its-next-move/

Food Lion still dominates the market share of groceries in Richmond, while Martin's is in second, and the ever-expanding Kroger in third.

I live 5 minutes away from the Martin's at Sycamore Square. It is very small and as a result does not carry the same selection of items that you can get at the much larger store at CTC or at the large Kroger just down the street on Midlo Tnpk. I have always thought that they needed to replace the one at Sycamore Square with a larger store nearby, but I also thought that this store would have gone into Westchester Commons. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

More Fro-yo on the way! :rolleyes:

TWISTER'Z FROZEN YOGURT, based in Tappahanock, is opening a location on Staples Mill Road in Henrico. Coincidentally, both stores are close to the family's also owned ROMA Italian restaurants. Therefore, the business model will be somewhat similiar to that.

From today's BizSense:

http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2012/07/05/two-twisterz-touch-down/

SONIC is coming in front of Kohls and Home Depot at Brookhollow shopping center in Short Pump.

Also coming to West Broad Village is DIAMONDS DIRECT, a freestanding store on a parcel next to Wells Fargo. Also coming to WBV is BOMBSHELLS, a hair salon from Carytown.

http://www.downtownshortpump.com/development-pulse-sonic-carytown-salon-diamond-store-all-on-the-way/

Where is StevenRocks who frequently provided his retail expertise on this and other southeast Urban Planet forums? I miss him.

Neiman Marcus, of all retailers, is planning a sort of collaboration with (are you ready?) TARGET.

Target is building a new spin-off urban store called CITY in Chicago and other huge markets. I'm not suggesting that Richmond's downtown could support a store of that magnitude but a toned down version with high-rise apartments (or hotel rooms) on top and a transit bus hub below is worth contemplating.

A good site, IMO, would be the entire block on the south side of East Broad between 3rd and 4th Streets. The cleaned-up facades of existing buildings could be incorporated into the design.

Just a thought. :tough:

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2012/jul/11/tdbiz03-biz-to-go-target-and-neiman-marcus-join-fo-ar-2047941/

Where is StevenRocks who frequently provided his retail expertise on this and other southeast Urban Planet forums? I miss him.

Neiman Marcus, of all retailers, is planning a sort of collaboration with (are you ready?) TARGET.

Target is building a new spin-off urban store called CITY in Chicago and other huge markets. I'm not suggesting that Richmond's downtown could support a store of that magnitude but a toned down version with high-rise apartments (or hotel rooms) on top and a transit bus hub below is worth contemplating.

A good site, IMO, would be the entire block on the south side of East Broad between 3rd and 4th Streets. The cleaned-up facades of existing buildings could be incorporated into the design.

Just a thought. :tough:

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/business/2012/jul/11/tdbiz03-biz-to-go-target-and-neiman-marcus-join-fo-ar-2047941/

I think we had discussed Target in downtown before.... they already have several urban stores, like in Minneapolis (flagship).... but of course a whole separate brand isn't a bad idea either. However since the idea is supposedly proposed for "Chicago and other HUGE markets", I sadly don't see RVA as such a place of that size..... I always dreamed of a nice modern, glassy, multi-story Macys/Target/any department store smack in the City Center in the new Broad St. arts district..... I've always dreamed....dreamed....dreamed.....

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine naming your clothing store Hollywood Cemetery. :w00t:

Well, that's what a young fellow did when he opened his business on a funky stretch of East Main Street .

He was served a "cease and desist" order shortly thereafter.

For those outside of Richmond who may not know, Hollywood Cemetery is one of the most revered burial grounds in America.

The young entreperneur consulted a lawyer who said he'd probably win a law suit but it would be costly, so a new name was selected and the two adversaries are resting in peace.

The shop at 412 East Main (next door to Cafe Rustica) has only a clever logo on its facade, but is now officially registered as HABERDASH. :)

From the current Style Weekly:

http://www.styleweek...ent?oid=1737260

• 2 weeks later...

Cities other than Richmond have specialized neighborhood shopping districts, but somehow Carytown seems to have a special panache.

Here's an excellent story about Carytown and how it evolved from simply West Cary Street into the unique shopping and dining destination it is today.

By Stephen Nielsen in today's RVANews:

http://rvanews.com/e...-district/63336

• 2 weeks later...

If we get an Urban Outfitters downtown, I would like it to actually be downtown. That sort of destination retailer is sorely needed on the Broad Street corridor closer to downtown.

Norfolk just got an Urban Outfitters on Granby Street in its downtown.

The store at Short Pump Town Center, prior to the Norfolk opening, was the only one in the state outside of Northern Virginia.