Retail in Richmond

vdogg

When the Bass Pro Shop opened off of I-95 between Richmond and Ashland a couple of years ago, it was announced that a discount mall would be built on surrounding land called Winding Brook. So far, nothing has been constructed, although the Richmond Bass Pro Shop is rumored to be among the top producing stores in the chain.

Today, I saw this among real estate listings at Richmond Biz Sense:

"Mariachi's Mexican Grill has leased 6000 square feet in The Shoppes at Winding Brook, Lakewood Pkwy in Hanover County."

Neglected to mention that Mrs. jbjust and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Cinebistro two weeks ago. $9 tickets with comfy assigned seats and a guarantee that there won't be any teenagers -- a value at twice the price IMHO! There is actually no requirement that you order food, but the menu is actually quite decent and my pasta dish (penne fra diavolo I think) was wonderful (as was the hummus platter appetizer).

While the food was a little more expensive than a lower end quick-service restaurant like an Applebee's or Ruby Tuesdays, it was not overpriced in any sense. Furthermore, if you take into account the fact that you're paying for less babysitter time, it might actually be less expensive than doing dinner and a movie separately.

The bar itself is reason enough to visit. Probably one of the nicer looking bars in Richmond with a nice drink menu and no need to have a movie ticket to visit the bar!

Edited by jbjust

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that a new ABC is opening in the new lofts at 21st and Main (Engine Company). They have a sign above the ground floor space on the corner. As an area resident, I am pleased since there is not one that close.

I also saw that there is some kind of work going on in the building close to 25th and Main going up to Church Hill on the right. It is next to The Reserve. New spaces for windows are being created on the 2nd floor which makes me think there will be apartments. I had seen at some point, where someone was looking to open a restaurant with apartments above in that area. I thought it was the people from Garnet's. I wonder if this is related to that??

Here's more info on the liquor store georgeglass told us about.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...th-more-liquor/

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

In the good old Thalhimers/Miller & Rhoads days folks flocked to downtown Richmond to visit the stores. This story about young ladies looking for prom dresses makes it evident that a good number of people still come to Metro Richmond from across the state to do their shopping.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2011/apr/30/TDMET01-richmond-area-teens-get-ready-for-proms-ar-1006901/

In mid April, on a visit to Richmond, I went to Stony Point Fashion Park twice -- once to take a look at the new CineBistro and another time for dinner with friends at FLEMING'S STEAK HOUSE.

Coming out of the front doors at Saks Fifth Avenue the new under-construction TIFFANY's hits your eye. It is across the promenade from Saks and Brooks Brothers and covers a large area. It won't open for several months, but certainly will have a dominant location at Stony Point.

It's still the only shopping center in Richmond that allows leashed dogs, albeit, animals are not allowed in the cinema or in restaurants..

http://shopstonypoint-px.rtrk.com/

• 2 weeks later...

A brand new spanking BIG Walmart with an un-Walmart look is already open at Hancock Village on Hull Street Road near Winterpock Road in western Chesterfield County.

But that's just a start. HOBBY LOBBY, an arts and crafts retailer, is building a 55,000 s/f store there. Its first location in Metro Richmond is on West Broad Street about half-way between Innsbrook and Short Pump Town Center in Brookhollow Shopping Center. I guess that puts it close to West Broad Village. :dontknow:

5 BELOW and DICK's SPORTING GOODS also plan stores at Hancock Village.

All this info is from Lou Llovio's BizBuzz column in today's RTD.

A TJ Maxx-Home Goods Combo store is opening at Chesterfield Town Center.

From today's Richmond Biz Sense:

http://www.richmondb...o-chesterfield/

A friend drove me through the area near Chesterfield Town Center in April,. While CTC looked very active with lots of construction, nearby there is a ghost town of relatively new-looking but empty retail stores. I think the former TJ Maxx was one of them.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

It's reported that the retrofit of an existing storefront at Stony Point Fashioin Park into Tiffany's is costing half a million dollars. The very upscale store may open this fall.

According to Google, as of 01/31/11 TIFFANY & CO. operated 230 stores worldwide: 96 in The Americas, 52 in the Asia-Pacific region, 56 in Japan and 26 in Europe.

That puts Richmond in pretty exclusive company.:thumbsup:

Edited by burt

When SAKS FIFTH AVENUE opened at Stony Point Fashion Park in 2003 there were about 50 across the country There are now 46 including the one in Richmond. Stores in Portland, San Diego and Charleston (SC) are among those that shut down.

There are quite a few Saks Off Fifth operations across the country -- many in discount shopping malls such as Potomac Mills in Northern Virginia.

Nostalgia note: There was a SAKS on West Broad Street in what is now the Gallery district during the early 1900's as well as a Woodward & Lothrop at the corner of Adams and Broad in the turreted building called The Renaissance Center.

Richmond is a strong market for Saks. The store is in an ideal neighborhood in and it's just the right size for the market. I love to go there when I'm in town.

Yes I would say it does well. There are only a few reasons why it would fail, and they are that Richmond is one of their smaller markets, which has 2 upscale malls close to each other, also it's proximity to Washington. Other than those minor reasons, I'm sure it does fine. Besides, I think Saks is done with closing stores for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiffany & Co. will open at Stony Point Fashion Park in early September.

The Richmond store, directly across from Saks Fifth Avenue, will be staffed by 20 people..

From Virginia Business:

http://www.virginiab...ichmond/312990/

I posted this in "Arts in Metro Richmond" thread, but brought it over here as well. It seems appropriate that FABULOUS FABERGE is opening a three month run at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. People lining up at VMFA to view hundreds of Faberge and other Russian decorative art objects might get in the mood to make a few purchases across town at Tiffany's.

Ah, those little blue boxes with ribbons. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the store should push up its opening.

From Sunday's Richmond Times Dispatch:

http://www2.timesdis...rge-ar-1142139/

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

When BASS PRO SHOP opened a couple of years ago just off of I-95 at Lewistown Road north of Richmond, it was announced that an adjoining multi-acre outlet mall was in the works.

Economic conditions put the plan on the back burner, but it's now back in the news. It will be called Winding Brook and hopes to attract some big names in retailing.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2011/jul/18/tdmain01-hanovers-winding-brook-gets-going-after-s-ar-1178899/

Elwood Thompson will expand into the former Blockbuster store next door to its present space at the end of Elwood Avenue in Carytown. When the move-in is complete, total square footage will be almost 20,000.

The Richmond based Natural Foods store has also definitely confirmed that it will open a 15K s/f store at Rockville Town Square in Montgomery County, Maryland.

From Lou Llovio in today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2011/jul/20/tdbiz01-ellwood-thompsons-to-expand-ar-1183432/

Garden Ridge, which left Richmond's East End for Chesterfield Town Center, is back in its original place near Audubon Drive close to Richmond International Airport. In other words, they now have two stores; and they are so pleased with sales results at Chesterfield Town Center that they are looking for other locations to expand its two-store empire..

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/2011/jul/22/tdbiz01-garden-ridge-reopens-eastern-henrico-store-ar-1188616/