Retail in Richmond

vdogg

I am told that the West Elm in Richmond isn't doing well.

That's interesting... it has a VERY prominent location at Short Pump TC and from who I've spoken with, everyone seems impressed by what they offer. Could you elaborate?

And I think the Thalhimer store and the Thalhimer real estate firm were started by relatives, can't be sure though... but I mean how many Thalhimer's are there!?

I am told that the West Elm in Richmond isn't doing well.
Already? it hasn't been open that long. Where'd you hear that?

And I think the Thalhimer store and the Thalhimer real estate firm were started by relatives, can't be sure though... but I mean how many Thalhimer's are there!?
There were a bunch of Thalhimers at one point, don't know how many are still in the area though.

From a friend who works at Williams-Sonoma HQ- the West Elm "hasn't really caught on".

Your friend certainly has not given very much time to offer that evaluation, mallguy. Wonder if the store ate the state sales tax last weekend like many retailers? It was meant as a tax-free holiday for going-back-to-school merchandise, but lots of stores, from jewelers to shoe shops, saw the advantage due to huge turnouts and absorbed the tax.

Yes, folks. Thalhimer is all one big family - part of it specialized in retail, and their kissing cousins are real estate moguls. All of the Regal cinemas in Richmond formerly were known as the Neighborhood movie house chain owned by Morton Thalhimer.

And may I point out again how little (if any) coverage was given to Stony Point Fashion Park in newspaper coverage of the Sales Tax Holiday. I think there's a conspiracy by the local press and Taubman Public Relations to do it in. :angry:

I've been out of town, but my wife just told me that there was an article in Mondays Metro Business section stating that a boutique hotel will likely be built in that "empty spot" I mentioned beside the Dick's Sporting Goods at Short Pump. Did anybody else see this story? I can't find it online.

And may I point out again how little (if any) coverage was given to Stony Point Fashion Park in newspaper coverage of the Sales Tax Holiday. I think there's a conspiracy by the local press and Taubman Public Relations to do it in. :angry:
The newspaper is definately in love with Short Pump, though Forest City is the developer out there, not Taubman. Taubman has Regency and Stony Point.

The newspaper is definately in love with Short Pump, though Forest City is the developer out there, not Taubman. Taubman has Regency and Stony Point.

That's what I meant, Stephen; Stony Point's PR (Taubman) isn't doing a good PR job for its own property. Their own lack of promotion combined with luke warm coverage from the local press irritates me, so I called it an unholy conspiracy to do itself in! I guess it did sound ambiguous :shades:

Edited by burt

I've been out of town, but my wife just told me that there was an article in Mondays Metro Business section stating that a boutique hotel will likely be built in that "empty spot" I mentioned beside the Dick's Sporting Goods at Short Pump. Did anybody else see this story? I can't find it online.

jbjust, go to the Richmond Suburban Development thread and look at my and Tburban's discussion about the hotel beginning with my posting on August 7th at 11:31am. It's at bottom of page 22. :)

Edited by burt

That's what I meant, Stephen; Stony Point's PR (Taubman) isn't doing a good PR job for its own property. Their own lack of promotion combined with luke warm coverage from the local press irritates me, so I called it an unholy conspiracy to do itself in! I guess it did sound ambiguous :shades:
It does seem like they're not taking full advatage of their resources. They have enough cachet and floor space between Stony Point and Regency to make an impact in the market if they tried.

It does seem like they're not taking full advatage of their resources. They have enough cachet and floor space between Stony Point and Regency to make an impact in the market if they tried.

Exactly! It just bewilders me that I rarely if ever read anything about SPFP online at the Times Dispatch. And to make it even odder, SPFP is within the City Limits while SPTC is in Henrico County. :dontknow:

Well Channel 6 LOOOOOOVES some Short Pump. And Stephanie Rochon practically... well... does this... :yahoo::w00t::wub: over some Short Pump. They finally got downtown Richmond back... way out there. No one talks of Stoney Point.

There is a shop in Carytown called Pink. Is it a locally owned single store? The reason I ask is because the other day I passed the new Time Warner buildings on Columbus Circle and on the ground floor is a ladies shop called Pink.

Any connection to Richmond, I wonder? Stephen, do you know?

One more thing about Channel 6, they're having a demonstration of their new everywhere news service for Cingular cellphones at Short Pump's Cingular store only... What is that the only store in the area? I know I've seen some others. They really play favoratism at that station.