Introduce yourself

mistermetaj

Hello fellow forumers,

Very interesting reading some of the posts in here! I am originally from Virginia Beach but currently reside in Washington, DC. Even though I grew up in Virginia Beach I was born in Norfolk and have a deep love of this city. When I left the Hampton Roads Area in 1984, it almost broke my heart. I tried for many months to land a job in HR in my field, but I was unsuccessful. The lure of plentiful jobs in NoVA and Washington was too much for me to resist. I moved to the DC area in 1984 and have lived here ever since.

As I said before I am absolutely obsessed with Norfolk and love reading about all of the new developments that are sprouting up in Downtown and Ocean View. My partner constantly rolls his eyes when he catches me on the computer reading the Va. Pilot, Norfolk's city webpage or UP Norfolk forums. Whenever an artist from HR is played on the radio I always point out that such and such is from Portsmouth (Missy Elliot) or from Norfolk (Gary U.S. Bonds, Gene Vincent etc.). Well UP has offered me an outlet to discuss Norfolk and HR developments!

Hopefully you will be able to move back! We miss you down here :thumbsup:

Hey HR people I miss you guys as well. I will be down for the Holiday Lights parade and lighting of the buildings Downtown. I think on the way to Norfolk my friend and I will stop in Port Warwick in Newport News for brunch.

Enjoy yourself! Hope that you can find a job in your field and so can many others. I'm hoping that they will look to bring high tech jobs here. Especially when now they are looking to possibly take a nuclear carrier from here to put in Japan.

Enjoy yourself! Hope that you can find a job in your field and so can many others. I'm hoping that they will look to bring high tech jobs here. Especially when now they are looking to possibly take a nuclear carrier from here to put in Japan.

Thanks I am really looking forward to it! I have not been looking for a job in HR in recent years so I don't know what the job market is like. I too would love to see HR become more of a hi-tech type place similar to Northern Virginia minus the horrendous traffic.

Well welcome to the Virginia forums. Come back and visit anytime. :) It's always good getting the perspectives from people who have once lived in this area but moved away.

I guess it's time to introduce myself. First of all, I am a little older than you folks. Actually, I was a year old when they invented dirt! I graduated from VaTech before it became a "& State University", if that tells you anything. I am still working and my wife and I live in a condo on the river in downtown Norfolk. We were the first to sign the papers for Granby Tower, hence my "Call Sign". We try to attend any meeting dealing with the development of DT. We have lived all over the country, from Florida to Washington State. We have been in HR since 1989 and have owned homes in VB and Chesapeake. Five years ago, if someone told me I would be living in DT Norfolk, I would have had them committed. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new, so i am curious about where everyone is from. I am from Virginia Beach, I went to Cox High School and I am a first year student at UVa. I am curious about what is the age range we are dealing with. And as for the last post, if you figure a plan to get a major league team either here or norfolk, sign me up to be part of that.

First post ever. So I hope that I'm doing this right. lol, check out the smilies (now I know why they are all over this board). I'm 31, a native of Jacksonville, Florida...currently residing in Woodstock, Ga (30 min north of Atlanta) and I've fallen in love with the Hampton Roads area, particularly Norfolk. I was offered a position with Amerigroup some years back, and although I didn't take the job (could kick myself now)....I've visited the area often. This forum is awesome. I add russthebuss' and others' photos to my screensaver (wishful thinking). It's great to see such a beautiful area booming in revitalization. I'm no techie, so my employment options there are slim....but I'd take your traffic problems over my hour and 45 minute commute into town ANYDAY!!

First post ever. So I hope that I'm doing this right. lol, check out the smilies (now I know why they are all over this board). I'm 31, a native of Jacksonville, Florida...currently residing in Woodstock, Ga (30 min north of Atlanta) and I've fallen in love with the Hampton Roads area, particularly Norfolk. I was offered a position with Amerigroup some years back, and although I didn't take the job (could kick myself now)....I've visited the area often. This forum is awesome. I add russthebuss' and others' photos to my screensaver (wishful thinking). It's great to see such a beautiful area booming in revitalization. I'm no techie, so my employment options there are slim....but I'd take your traffic problems over my hour and 45 minute commute into town ANYDAY!!

I'm glad you like it. Maybe one day you can move here. We would love to have you! I will try to get you some more photos for you to save!

Sorry I'm so late on this but welcome to the forum PistolPete. :thumbsup: I'm gald you like our area so much and I hope you can find a way to return someday. Things are really changing around here.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New guy to this site from Hampton Roads. I'm interested in city planning and architecture (I guess we all are right?); not a professional. I've lived here most of my life, but also in Richmond and Philadelphia.

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to your posts in the HR forum

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, I'm 36. I was born in Newport News, grew up in Gloucester (6-17), went to VCU for college (sculpture), went to grad school at the Ohio State University, moved to DC then after two years could no longer fight steering my truck with my belongings in tow, towards Richmond

Edited by Brent