The Landmark Building, Gville's tallest

GvilleSC

County Square is around the same size- perhaps smaller, but above 300,000 sf.

The Landmark Building is a horrible specimen of architecture, whose unsightliness is magnified by it being the tallest and most visible building from a lot of approaches into downtown.

Horrible as well that Daniel/Fluor left downtown for a suburban campus, leaving that building behind and nothing better to replace it downtown.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:offtopic: One thing that would help the building would be to once again have a name at the top. A solid horizonal plane, much like the previous BB&T one. Something just needs to break up the overwhelming amounts of vertical elements in the building. It drives your eye up, up, and off the building. Just my two cents.

I certainly wouldn't want it demolished either, but a "drastic change" would certainly be worthwhile in my book. Though it seems to have aged very poorly, I can't imagine it ever looking good. All they need to do, is remove the bars, add some windows, put a spire on top, and yes, a name. :thumbsup:

I remember when I was a little kid in the 70's and I thought the Daniel Building (sorry, it's just not the "landmark" building to me) was one of the coolest things around but I thought my LED digital watch and iron on "Star Wars 77" t-shirt was pretty cool too. Hmmmm.... I actually wouldn't mind a red LED digital watch and I bet if I still had my Star Wars 77 t-shirt with R2 and C-3PO on the iron on I could get some nice coin via eBay with it.

If they wanted to update the building they could cap off the top so it will match the new pinacle building in style. Growing up I always looked forward to the lights and Christmas tree that were placed on the top. I also have a fond memory of taking a Citizenship in the Nation Merit Badge class that was taught by a local lawyer in one of the higher floors. For quite sometime the Daniel Building was fondly talked about about Greenvillians as a crown jewel of downtown.

yes, we know ... and it shows.

I remember many of the same things about the Daniel Building. I know it's a bit worn looking now, but in mind's eye it is still that pure white tower against the blue sky :-)

By the way, I miss the SCN building. They never should have torn it down!

I too am not a fan of the era of mordern architecture. I've found that way too many beatiful structures have been lost to the drab, monotonous, and often "brutalist" styles of that time. There are plenty of examples of this in every city in this state (my hometown was exceptionally good at it). These buildings are generally not functional, and not attractive. Generally.

HOWEVER! I think that while we complain about what these buildings have done, and how unattractive they are, we must remember that these buildings too are a part of our history. The best examples should be saved so that we may remember those times and their contributions to architecture and the development of our cities, because whether we like it or not they were significant. I think that in a way, I can see how these things were attractive to people at that time. I don't know Greenville well enough to be able to cite an example of this, but I can give you one in Spartanburg if you like.

The Landmark Building is definitely not the most attractive building in town, but I'd hate to see it go. It probably just needs a good bath, and then a good rennovation on the inside, like pretty much every building from that era needs.

I agree with you Spartan, I think that the at time this building was built, people in

Greenville loved it because it was new and modern and a symbol of progress.

I think the old building has served Greenville well over the years as a landmark,

any time you have seen a photo of Greenville this building has dominated the

skyline.

DSC00306.jpg

I've actually come to really like the Landmark building. I appreciate the crisp lines of the buildings, which give it more of a symmetrical feel. If the exterior is altered, I hope it isn't done so too drastically. I remember attending a function at the Hyatt one time and looking up at the building, admiring it.

yes, we know ... and it shows.

I remember many of the same things about the Daniel Building. I know it's a bit worn looking now, but in mind's eye it is still that pure white tower against the blue sky :-)

By the way, I miss the SCN building. They never should have torn it down!

Archived