Norfolk Pictures

willy

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I posted this in another thread, but this is from May of this year. Sorry for all the wonky code that was here earlier. It should work now. The Wells Fargo tower looks really short, but I'm guessing it's because I'm on the water, instead of on higher ground (i.e. the dock).

304335_10151127540414888_784261011_n.jpg

Taken aboard the ferry, headed to Town Point Park. I have a few more I took back in 2008 that I'll upload.

Edited by BFG

These are all from fall 2008, taken on an older 5 MP camera. I plan to get an SLR camera soon, maybe come tax time, and get back into amateur photography.

364_30416324887_2071_n.jpg

364_30416599887_5897_n.jpg

364_30481524887_4054_n.jpg

This one is probably my favorite...I really want to get one from that same angle, but with the Wells Fargo tower, which should nicely fill the gap between Dominion Tower and the Marriott. Would love to see how the new courthouse will play into the skyline when it's completed as well.

352_30143354887_3328_n.jpg

364_30273154887_7889_n.jpg

364_30273164887_8408_n.jpg

364_30273169887_8669_n.jpg

364_30273174887_8924_n.jpg

Love you pics!

There is one shot that I tried to get but I keep missing it. Perhaps someone with a camcorder can capture the shot of both skylines about a mile and a half from the downtown tunnel going east toward downtown Norfolk. There is only a one second opportunity to capture the picture before the trees quickly hides the angle. I am sure that I am not the only one who marvels at the appearance of all those buildings appearing to form one incredible downtown instead of two. Anyone else know what i'm talking about?

• 2 months later...

Love the photos, esp. the one by Walt! Even though I know it's not, I can't help but feel that the Jordan Bridge photo and the one above makes DT Norfolk look so tiny! :D

I bought a new camera on Black Friday and plan to try it out pretty soon, once I get moved into my new apartment. Standby for more downtown shots, and some stuff from Ghent!

Envision the St Pauls Quadrant as city blocks and it looks much bigger... I like to include Old Town Portsmouth in my "view" of Downtown as I feel it's one urban center.

If someone can take a professional night shot from the top of the 201 Twenty One parking deck in Ghent that would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite views of downtown Norfolk...last night (or this morning), I went to the top level of the parking garage on Bute Street. I'd LOVE to get to the rooftop garden of the Wainwright Building when it opens...

9481538718_a30e66e04e_z.jpg

• 4 months later...

Anytime I see a newer picture of the skyline from the Portsmouth side, I'm always a bit surprised at how short the Wells Fargo tower looks (see below for example). I knew it's a few blocks back compared to the other towers, but for a 20-story building, it still doesn't seem to have as much of a presence, even with the changing rooftop color. That being said, I still like how it at least fills the gap between Dominion Enterprises and the Marriott. I agree that the new Hilton will fill the "other" gap nicely.

I wish Granby Tower had taken off in the late-2000s...

Downtown%2BNorfolk%2Bwaterfront.jpg

Edited by BFG
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I went to an event yesterday in the Wells Fargo tower, and the room (unfinished) is literally windows all around, so you get an awesome 360-degree view of Norfolk, including downtown, Freemason, Ghent and NSU, etc.

I took some shots with my camera, but the windows provided a little too much glare. Instead, I took a few with my phone. There actually is an open patio around the 17th floor...would love to make my way up there one of these days.

IMG_20140413_164957.jpg

IMG_20140413_164756.jpg