Portsmouth development

vdogg

I attended a planning conference in the Renaissance this week and was fortunate enough to get a room on the top floor. The room I received had a letter welcoming me. The letter however, was inteded for a Mr. Schlink. Schlink was apparently in town with a development team to discuss the 'Florida Project' with the city. I'm not sure if this is related to the 6 waterfront towers, or the recent article about development interest coming from outside of the state, but the letter was certainly intriguing. I bet we hear a huge announcement about a downtown development in Portsmouth by the end of the year.

I attended a planning conference in the Renaissance this week and was fortunate enough to get a room on the top floor. The room I received had a letter welcoming me. The letter however, was inteded for a Mr. Schlink. Schlink was apparently in town with a development team to discuss the 'Florida Project' with the city. I'm not sure if this is related to the 6 waterfront towers, or the recent article about development interest coming from outside of the state, but the letter was certainly intriguing. I bet we hear a huge announcement about a downtown development in Portsmouth by the end of the year.

Oooooh, how interesting!

Edited by gosscj

A Florida development team was mentioned in conjuction with the midtown revitalization efforts, they're supposed to submit their plans to council today.

I wonder when we will find something out from the city council?

Do they release the info just like the Norfolk city council online?

A Florida development team was mentioned in conjuction with the midtown revitalization efforts, they're supposed to submit their plans to council today.

Yep, here you go.

A spokeswoman for the Sembler Co. of Florida, one of the four bidders on the Midtown shopping center project, would only say her company is considering expanding into several locations in Virginia.

$4,500,000 has been proposed for the courts complex. This is just preliminary funding for hiring an architect to start the design process for the new facility. This looks to be years away from happening. You might want to think of this as a down payment. It does say they are only interested in a new facility.

$4,500,000 has been proposed for the courts complex. This is just preliminary funding for hiring an architect to start the design process for the new facility. This looks to be years away from happening. You might want to think of this as a down payment. It does say they are only interested in a new facility.

Maybe this is for a new project that will take the spot of the present court system spot on the water front. This would be good news! It would be nice if they could incorporate this into a new high rise.

The overall cost is expected to be around $60,000,000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What Portsmouth needs to do is relocate the city hall, courts, and jail and get all that waterfront property back on the tax rolls. Anyonw know if they are planning to do this?

It's been discussed for awhile, but the city doesn't have the money to do it. You're talking a couple hundred million $$$ to relocate all those buildings (including the need to purchase a huge section of land in downtown) and tear down the existing ones. As an example, Norfolk is spending $75 million just on its new courts building. So while the city would likely increase its tax revenue by having something more appropriate for the waterfront site, its would never offset the cost of the premature moving of those institutions. Its likely they will remain there until the buildings need to be signficantly renovated or replaced.

Edited by Glassoul

Portsmouth courts building to close For 6 months

Portsmouth is planning to temporarily relocate five courtrooms and the city clerk's office so they can remove asbestos from the courts building on Water St. No word in the article about how much the renovation and relocation will cost, but it's bound to be fairly expensive. I hate to see the city throwing money into rehabilitating buildings they should be tearing down.

• 2 weeks later...