Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Hey wrldcoupe I noticed on your profile it says one of your Locations is Fairfax by the way I was Just up their the today for Strayer Universitys Graduation. It was such a mess on Braddock and it was the first time I had ever been on braddock but thank god my dad was driving.Also have you ever been on OX RD it sure is a really nice road. Oh yeah and the Patriot Center which I'm guessing its where George Mason has all of its Basketball games was really nice.

Arts Foundation Boasts Donations

Burt youll be happy to hear about this....The VAPAF will announce to Major ($250,000+) gifts next week. One is from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation. The other one has not been released. Apparently at least 50 people, including board members and city officials, are expected to attend a ceremony honoring BofA's donation on Thursday. The other ceremony will be held on another day that week. With major donations to VCU, VMFA, and others, there really is no excuse for VaPAF not to raise the required funds now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Media General survey published in today's RTD indicates that an overwhelming majority favor the Performing Arts Center. Of course, I never had any doubt of that, but the survey will only spur on detractors. I'm hoping next week's fund-raising announcements will encourage supporters. :)

Hey wrldcoupe I noticed on your profile it says one of your Locations is Fairfax by the way I was Just up their the today for Strayer Universitys Graduation. It was such a mess on Braddock and it was the first time I had ever been on braddock but thank god my dad was driving.Also have you ever been on OX RD it sure is a really nice road. Oh yeah and the Patriot Center which I'm guessing its  where George Mason has all of its Basketball games was really nice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I go t o GMU. Traffic is a pain up there. Patriot Center (10,000+ seat capacity) is beginning an expansion/renovation soon. Ox is nice until you hit road/bridge construction at Occoquan. Plenty of Fairfax Mcmansions out there.

Richmond has started a campaign to fight blight by relaiming vacant and abandoned properties in order to restore them to improve neighborhoods and the city as a whole. Fighting blight will help reduce crime, make the city cleaner, improve property values and make communities better and stronger. This is just another step in Richmond's renaissance that is making the city a better place to "live work and play" (sorry for the developer cliche:)).

Now if the city could work harder to improve its gateways.....

Richmond has started a campaign to fight blight by relaiming vacant and abandoned properties in order to restore them to improve neighborhoods and the city as a whole. Fighting blight will help reduce crime, make the city cleaner,  improve property values and make communities better and stronger. This is just another step in Richmond's renaissance that is making the city a better place to "live work and play" (sorry for the developer cliche:)).

Now if the city could work harder to improve its gateways.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, Coupe. We need something that says "we are a world class city that has it all" at its gateways instead of a bunch of trash and tall grass and smelly air (sometimes experience when traveling I-95 through Richmond). There should be a contest for the design and money set aside for maintaining the gateways. In addition, the counties need to help because, to me, the city really begins when traveling through places like I-64W at about the 288 interchange, for example. Maybe each county should be responsible for their respective gateways. It shouldn't cost too much to build and maintain, right?

The lop-sided battle over the proposed Performing Arts Center has gotten uglier according to a story in today's RTD about the former manager of the Carpenter Center. RCW's forum thread on the arts center (with Dr. Florida's name in the subject) figured in the report of smarmy doings, but that thread is so venomous, I steer clear of it.

I was happy to see RCW on the front page though. Should at least increase traffic for ryan's photos...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I love his pictures. But yesterday, I tried to refer one of the Bottom Committee members to that great panorama of the Bottom area. It was at the bottom of the second page of the June Update when I saw it. Meanwhile, Ryan embedded all those pics of Barton Heights and Gilpin Court in the middle of all the downtown stuff, so she never found it. Being as computer illiterate as I am, she thought I was putting her on! :lol:

hmmmmmm. I don't know whether this belongs here or on another thread. Anyway, Old City Hall in the 1000 block of East Broad will have its lease bought up by Gov. Warner. As present leases expire over the next 3 to 5 years, state agencies will move in to replace existing tenants. The building is about 81% occupied.

And does everybody know that next year's session of the General Assembly will be held in the newly refurbished old State Library (now called the Patrick Henry Building) while the capitol building is undergoing its upgrade?

Some HR forumers complain that Richmond gets all the gravy, but do they realize that from all the State real estate, the city receives not one penny of taxes. Besides, Richmond as the State Capital, should get some extra perks. And I don't believe one person in Metro Richmond holds any kind of resentment toward HR. I'm thrilled to read all about its advancing economy and building activity.

So much for my spiel! :)

Edited by burt

You bring up an excellent point burt. The state does take up some very valuable real estate and there are no taxes paid on it. Like yourself, I hold no resentment towards HR. I think a region should get back what they put into the state goverment (taxes=funding). I also think that the capital of any state should be treated like one. I also am glad to hear about all the development going on in HR. definitely great news.

Richmond was 14th, and one of 3 metros in Virginia to be in the top 20 (NOVA-4th, Norfolk-8th)

As a comparison with other southern and mid-atlantic cities:

Raleigh - 2nd

Atlanta - 9th

Richmond - 14th

Charlotte -42nd

Baltimore - 55th

Jacksonville 82nd

GreaterRichmondPartnership

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as we beat Charlotte, I'm pretty much happy...although I'd also like to smoke Raleigh, NC as well. Richmond is so much better than those places...we just haven't been discovered yet!

A Media General survey published in today's RTD indicates that an overwhelming majority favor the Performing Arts Center.  Of course, I never had any doubt of that, but the survey will only spur on detractors.  I'm hoping next week's fund-raising announcements will encourage supporters.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has the fund raising announcement been made? I haven't seen anything about it so far this week. Do you know anything, Coup? :blink:

Good news for VAPAF. However, much larger sums of money are needed for it to become a success. This pays Brads salary for 2 years... Speaking of all of this, isn't another announcement of money slated for this week as well?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that is true Coupe. I just read it in the RTD. Apparently, it will be in the amount of $400,000. I don't know when they will officially announce it however.

Hey i bet you if the Federal Reserve was to donate money to the VAPFAF they would give a pretty nice chunk of money.Oh yeah I though I would tell you all this but My really good friend Patrick Laing his father Mike Laing you know the one thats doin the Hilton Hotel told me that after he is done with the Hilton they are going to work on a Project they are getting together for Omaha Nebraska.I think he told me it was around $80 Million Dollars.But he doesn't know what they will do after they are done with the Hilton in Richmond.