Richmond Developments

Cotuit

Maybe there will be some retail along 7th street ( I'm sure that there wont be).

With so much empty retail space downtown I'm not sure that every building should have retail. I think that it is OK for a parking deck to just be a parking deck sometimes. That said, a Panera (or some other sandwich shop) would be nice on 7th. Main Street Center has a great plaza area perfect for an al fresco lunch but other than Bills there isn't any take-way food place in the area. I guess Subway on Franklin is close too...

Long term, a single use building on this site whose only use is parking is poor planning. I understand the state needed more parking for the highrise they overpaid for and budget constraints allow for a parking deck only, but it's a shame in the future the site can't have additional uses built into it or upon it (like the RMA expressway deck parcel).

And speaking of sandwich shops, one of my favorites, Potbelly, will be scouting out the Richmond area for locations soon. Don't be surprised if they open an urban location or two.

http://www.comarchs....al/dgsdeck.html

here's the rendering for the new parking deck at Main Street Center. looks good, IMO.

I'm bringing this Commonwealth Architect rendering forward so we don't have to go back and forth to remember what the new parking deck will look like. The image is from the intersection of 6th and East Franklin Streets looking downhill on East Franklin to 7th Street. Main Street Center tower to the right is downhill on 6th toward East Main Street.

You can also click on an image from Main and 7th Streets.

Edited by burt

I'm bringing this Commonwealth Architect rendering forward so we don't have to go back and forth to remember what the new parking deck will look like. The image is from the intersection of 6th and East Franklin Streets looking downhill on East Franklin to 7th Street. Main Street Center tower to the right is downhill on 6th toward East Main Street.

You can also click on an image from Main and 7th Streets.

Pulled the info. and pics from the website so we have them on the thread..make it a little easier :thumbsup:

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2-7.jpg

Restoration of The Hippodrome Theatre and The Taylor mansion on North 2nd Street between Clay and Leigh Streets may include 31 residential units in order to qualify for some government funding.

Local real estate mogul Ron Stallings is involved with the project.

Upon completion by September 1st of 2011, the Jackson Ward project would be a music and entertainment venue called "The Hipp" under the management of Bensusan Corp which is involved with The Blue Note Jazz Club on West 3rd Street in New York's Greenwich Village near Washinton Square and New York University.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-184203/319671/

The Hipp would join The National, The Hat Factory, Richmond Center Stage, Richmond Coliseum, TheCanal Club, Alley Katz, Capital Ale Music Hall, The Empire Theatre and other venues offering downtown enterainment in Richmond. My guess is that capacity at The Hipp would likely be in the 500 to 800 range.

The Taylor mansion next door to the Hippodrome was built in 1907 and and was reportedly the largest home of a black American in the United States when it was occupied by The Rev. W. Taylor. In later years it was an Elks Lodge.

Edited by burt

• 3 weeks later...

A bulding boom is underway in Shockoe Bottom...

670+ Apartments Coming to Shockoe Bottom

That's 205 more Shockoe Bottom residential units than I counted at the end of January in the Proposed Reynolds North and South Plant Development thread. rolleyes.gif I got my count from a pdf provided by TBurban which, among other things, listed residential construction in all of downtown. thumbsup.gif

Pulled the info. and pics from the website so we have them on the thread..make it a little easier :thumbsup:

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2-7.jpg

Other cities building light rail and improving public transit....Richmond builds more parking garages, I don't get it. If we want to encourage more pedestrian/bike and public transit a good start would be to STOP BUILDING THESE MASSIVE, SPACE-WASTING, USELESS, UNATTRACTIVE parking garages. Shouldn't we building places for people, not cars?

Repairs will be made to the downtown building that houses J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. I believe that building is around 7th/8th and Jackson Streets. Other colleges of JSR are on Parham Road in Henrico and in Goochland Court House.

While renovation is ongoing downtown, the college will lease space in North Richmond at seminary buildings near Brook Road and Westwood Avenue in Ginter Park. The school is quick to reassure that the move does not portend a permanent departure from downtown Richmond.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/education/article/SARG18_20100218-221404/325324/

Other cities building light rail and improving public transit....Richmond builds more parking garages, I don't get it. If we want to encourage more pedestrian/bike and public transit a good start would be to STOP BUILDING THESE MASSIVE, SPACE-WASTING, USELESS, UNATTRACTIVE parking garages. Shouldn't we building places for people, not cars?

I totally agree with you. There are people who live in the burbs who have to commute. Also GRTC and the recently adopted Downtown Master Plan will hopefully grant our wishes. At least this one does not look like a parking garage. Of course we will truely find out when this is completed.

Does anyone know if this garage is precast or cast in place concrete? Maybe even post-tension?

• 2 weeks later...

The son of a friend in Richmond has purchased an efficiency unit for about $90K in The Taylor mansion next door to The Hippodrome Theatre on North 2nd Street.

I haven't read anymore about restoration of the Hippodrome since this RTD story:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/B4-HIPP24_20100123-184203/319671/

But, if they are selling residential units in the mansion (formerly an Elks Lodge) one could assume renovation of the old theatre is also under way.

Can anyone confirm activity at the site?

Correction to the posting above:

The North 2nd Street unit bought by the son of my friend is NOT in the Taylor Mansion but in a different rehab in the same block but closer to East Clay Street.

http://www.jacksonward.com/

Go to "Projects" on the website then click 'present' and you'll see Studio516.

I can find nothing to confirm activity at the Taylor Mansion and The Hippodrome.

Correction to the posting above:

The North 2nd Street unit bought by the son of my friend is NOT in the Taylor Mansion but in a different rehab in the same block but closer to East Clay Street.

http://www.jacksonward.com/

Go to "Projects" on the website then click 'present' and you'll see Studio516.

I can find nothing to confirm activity at the Taylor Mansion and The Hippodrome.

I've driven through and I think there's a fence around them, but that's all I could see.

WOW! The Richmond Coliseum really has (or had) a severe leakage problem. I ddn't notice it when I was there in December to see the Radio City Music Hall Spectacular, but then Central Virginia has endured a very wet winter.

This RTD story with slideshow illustrates the problems and discusses the building's future -- extreme renovation or replacement? The CAA Tournament may or may not renew its contract in 2012.

I am gratified to read that some of the big Fortune 1000 company execs appear to favor a new 20 to 22K-seat arena in the future. In addition to costing more than $200 million, demolition and construction on the present site would require at least three years advance notice to annual users of the venue. Meanwhile, in the interim, there is no facility capable of accommodating the circus, large concerts and sporting events.

A central downtown location is desirable, IMO, but where? Shockoe Bottom? The Reynolds property on the canals or in Manchester? Or, The Diamond area off of North Boulevard?

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/COLI07_20100306-220407/328814/

You know, I'm just not feeling it. The city does not need to take on debt that it cannot pay to provide nicer locker rooms for college kids. The idea that sports can't happen if the seats aren't nice freaks me out. I was at the Coliseum today and the people in attendance were having a great time. I recall a time when score boards weren't electronic and games still were played and scores were still kept. I'm not in denial that the venue needs to be renovated or replaced but I will fight, tooth and nail, citizens being taxed to provide for-profit business a higher profit margin. I don't believe in citizens subsidizing a corporation's bottom line (I'm all for taxing the hell out of people to fund public projects but wont be held hostage by the president of the CAA or the Atlanta Braves). We live in an area that is slashing school budgets, that is closing regional parks, can't fill a pothole, has a sub par public library system etc. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars so that some 20 year old college student can have a more enjoyable shower seems ridiculous. If those corporations want to fund a new arena, they can knock themselves out. If Richmonders are picking up the tab, we should demand renovation of the current building.

You know, I'm just not feeling it. The city does not need to take on debt that it cannot pay to provide nicer locker rooms for college kids. The idea that sports can't happen if the seats aren't nice freaks me out. I was at the Coliseum today and the people in attendance were having a great time. I recall a time when score boards weren't electronic and games still were played and scores were still kept. I'm not in denial that the venue needs to be renovated or replaced but I will fight, tooth and nail, citizens being taxed to provide for-profit business a higher profit margin. I don't believe in citizens subsidizing a corporation's bottom line (I'm all for taxing the hell out of people to fund public projects but wont be held hostage by the president of the CAA or the Atlanta Braves). We live in an area that is slashing school budgets, that is closing regional parks, can't fill a pothole, has a sub par public library system etc. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars so that some 20 year old college student can have a more enjoyable shower seems ridiculous. If those corporations want to fund a new arena, they can knock themselves out. If Richmonders are picking up the tab, we should demand renovation of the current building.

Brent, old boy. I disagree with you, but knowing Richmond I'm willing to bet a quarter that your sentiments prevail.smile.gif

CAA attendance has nothing to do with Richmond or the Coliseum. The fanbases are just not there and you'll never sell out every game of the tournament even if it was an invitational tournament.

Heck, even the mid-round ACC tournament games sit partly empty (though technically sold out).

I dont know if anybody has posted this to the website but i thought it would be pretty intresting. It gives a rendering of what Reynolds Plant South could look like.

http://baskervill.co...00/Default.aspx

Thanks calwinston and welcome to the Richmond UP Forum.

The rendering that snaps in when opening the Baskerville site is the proposed Echo Harbour development which is in endless dispute. But the Reynolds plant (south) rendering can be accessed by clicking the last thumbnail on the page. It is part of Baskerville's portfolio.

Cal, did you check out the thread titled PROPOSED: REYNOLDS NORTH AND SOUTH PLANT REDEVELOPMENT? The first entry by TBurban on January 30th shows renderings of what could possibly evolve on the north plant site, and another depicts the land area of the south plant.

The hulk known as "Connecticut" who has peered over arriving crowds at The Diamond on North Boulevard is being dismantled. His next home will be atop the Lucky Strike Power Plant at the end of Tobacco Row on East Cary Street.

The slideshow reveals he is wearing a wedding ring and a yellow wrist band. Perhaps he will be permitted re-entry to the Diamond for an occasional game and a beer. thumbsup.gif

I think the gentleman in the last shot is the artist diPasquale who sculpted "Connecticut."

Story and slideshow from today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...es_down/330327/

Edited by burt